Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Harddrive upgrade without warranty loss.

Page 1 of 1
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
I spoke to Turbosat today who are now shipping a Silent Topfield 5800 (I believe it uses a samsung drive).

I asked about an upgrade without warranty loss which Turbosat have said they should be able to do but just need to sort out a price.

I asked them to pass details onto admistration of this forum which hopefully they will do.
ceejbee
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 145 Location: The Black Country
Excellent!

Thanks for the info. Smile

ceejbee.
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Yep. The latest batch of machines is fitted with Samsung drives, instead of the Seagate that was in the original, as I hinted in another thread.

These first arrived in a batch a couple of weeks ago, so I would expect most recent buyers to have them.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Someone over on digitalspy has one with the Samsung Spinpoint; he can read the label through the vents. He says he can just hear the disk from 6 inches away!
Traxmaster
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
That means it quieter than the inverto, I can now hear the invertos hard drive when using the latest software from a few metres away.
Brava_210
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
i wonder if the samsung drives have been set to silent as i did when i upgraded mine to the 200gb spinpoint,as mine is absolutely silent even standing inches away....
good to here topfield have changed to samsung...

best pvr ever...

Gary

ceejbee
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Traxmaster wrote:
I asked about an upgrade without warranty loss which Turbosat have said they should be able to do but just need to sort out a price.

With a bit of luck, they may consider what I believe Topfield Australia do and fit customers' own HDD's. Then the drive manufacturer provides warranty for it's own product, which is normally three years. Smile

ceejbee.
vroomfondle
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
nwhitfield wrote:
Yep. The latest batch of machines is fitted with Samsung drives, instead of the Seagate that was in the original, as I hinted in another thread.

These first arrived in a batch a couple of weeks ago, so I would expect most recent buyers to have them.

Nigel.

I bought mine from Heathrow Systems on 10th June.
Prompted by this thread I looked through the top vents of my toppy and can just see the word "spinpoint".
So I have a samsung disk.... I wondered why other owners were complaining about disk noise when mine seemed so quiet.
MarkySparky
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Jun 2005 Posts: 30
My Toppy came from Turbosat at the start of this week, and I've got the Spinpoint fitted. The machine is totally silent when running. I get a couple of clunks when it comes out of standby, but apart from that I can't hear anything from it, even if I listen from a couple of inches away. My Toppy is in my bedroom, and I can run the EPG update for Jag's EPG in the early hours without any problems at all.... Very Happy Very Happy
simonc
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Same here. Spinpoint, a couple of clunks coming out of standby, but it is audible across the room, just not intrustive.

Mine arrived a month ago, so I guess I must have got the first of the quiet batch.
kevinb
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 180
I found this link to a data sheet on the Seagate drive used on another forum:

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_ce.pdf

Note the statement ?The world?s quietest hard drives deliver pure audio enjoyment with virtually no discernible operating sound.?!
Powerful
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
MarkySparky wrote:
My Toppy came from Turbosat at the start of this week, and I've got the Spinpoint fitted. The machine is totally silent when running. I get a couple of clunks when it comes out of standby, but apart from that I can't hear anything from it, even if I listen from a couple of inches away. My Toppy is in my bedroom, and I can run the EPG update for Jag's EPG in the early hours without any problems at all.... Very Happy Very Happy

I've had my Toppy three days and was watching a timeshifted program in the wee hours when it is very quiet around here.

There is a strange low level and low frequency "crump" "crump" "crump" "crump-crump" coming from the Toppy. It definately sounds like its coming from the hard disk since the noise stops when you switch back to live viewing. The disk says its a Spinpoint through the top vents.

I can hear the noise from several metres away even with the TV volume on normal.

Is this the hard disk "clicks" that people were reporting on Digital Spy forum or do I have a new problem?

Does this go away with use - or get worse?

Its a little eerie, I can tell you. Shocked
ceejbee
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Powerful wrote:
There is a strange low level and low frequency "crump" "crump" "crump" "crump-crump" coming from the Toppy. It definately sounds like its coming from the hard disk since the noise stops when you switch back to live viewing. The disk says its a Spinpoint through the top vents.

I believe this noise is the Samsung equivalent of the earlier Seagate's 'clicking'. It is not, I believe, disk rotation noise, but is the seek noise of the heads moving across the disk surface. This noise will be at its worst when timeshifting.

On the first post of the third page of the linked thread above, Dovad mentions that the SpinPoint drive he removed from his Toppy had the acoustic management disabled. This is surprising, considering its intended use.

On that basis, although the drive acoustic management should be enabled by default, some, it would appear, may not be. If so, and you are not happy with the noise level, then speak to your supplier about it. No one has been disappointed with the after sales service yet.

ceejbee.

Edit: Sorry, wrong link, try this one:

http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=30
bellandbottle
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
Powerful wrote:
MarkySparky wrote:

I've had my Toppy three days and was watching a timeshifted program in the wee hours when it is very quiet around here.

I can hear the noise from several metres away even with the TV volume on normal.

Is this the hard disk "clicks" that people were reporting on Digital Spy forum or do I have a new problem?

Does this go away with use - or get worse?

Its a little eerie, I can tell you. Shocked

I've just had the tap, tap, tap of seeking whilst watching a recording and actually recording two other channels. The funny thing is that the disk/system seems to learn what is going on and it quiets down to no noise at all after a little time. It is not really intrusive but definitely audible from 2.5m away.
That Bloke
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
vroomfondle wrote:
nwhitfield wrote:

Nigel.

I bought mine from Heathrow Systems on 10th June.
Prompted by this thread I looked through the top vents of my toppy and can just see the word "spinpoint".
So I have a samsung disk.... I wondered why other owners were complaining about disk noise when mine seemed so quiet.

Same here. I have actually never noticed a noise coming from the Toppy except at startup.

I got mine at the end of june from Tracsat. VERY impressed so far.