Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Programming the Toppy from your mobile phone??

Page 1 of 1
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Do you think this will ever be possible?

Any ideas/comments on how this could/would work.

I believe there has been some work done to interface digiguide to Jags epg.
so can digiguide on a PC by programmed from your mobile using a WAP interface?
GMetcalf
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Posts: 76
Hehe - Sounds like a random idea to me !

What exactly would you want to use it for ? - One solution would be to remote desktop / VNC from your ( smart ) phone to you desktop, you can then FPT or transfer files to your Toppy using a SLUG. I guess you could upload new EPG data this way.

It really does depend on what you want to do ... ?
shenson
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 569
Traxmaster wrote:
Do you think this will ever be possible?

Any ideas/comments on how this could/would work.

I believe there has been some work done to interface digiguide to Jags epg.
so can digiguide on a PC by programmed from your mobile using a WAP interface?

Its certainly possible via an NSLU2.

In outline...

You'd need an appropriate TAP on the toppy that would allow the NSLU2 to send commands/files that would program the timers. I think a couple of these exist already.

Then the NSLU2 would need a webserver and an appropriate application that would take commands from the mobile phone and send the appropriate stuff to the toppy. That bit doesn't exist AFAIK...
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
It could be done...

I'd probably look at using the remote mode of Jag's EPG, which takes care of reading a file of commands. You then need something to get that file of commands on to the Toppy; that could be the slug, Altair, or one of the other alternatives; I'd go for a Linux system with puppy, or a Windows box with a command line copy program that can be run from a batch file.

And then you need to create that file; should be trivial with a PHP driven web site, which would be easy to do on Unix, or using the Abyss web server on a Windows box. Connect to the web server using a mobile browser, and have a series of pages that helps generate a text file with the correct command, which can then be batch copied to the Toppy. Fairly trivial to do.

Alternatively, you could use an SMS service like the one we have on this site, to pass text messages into a script that generates the appropriate files.

So you could send a message to a short code that says something like TOPPY REC C4 2057 2203 CSI

Hmmm. I see some potential in there, you know. Especially if it could be wrapped up with a simple program to run on your PC...

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 162
shenson wrote:
You'd need an appropriate TAP on the toppy that would allow the NSLU2 to send commands/files that would program the timers. I think a couple of these exist already.

Jags can pickup timers. You upload a file containing the timers and set jags to check for the file every few minutes.

Lots of phones these days do e-mail (or failing that sms to e-mail gateways) so having the slug check an e-mail account for timer details would be easy enough.
GMetcalf
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Posts: 76
An SMS gateway is not something most of us have in our toolkit though !

The web gateway is probably the easiest and least costly approach. Either WAP or HTTP would work then.

Still unsure how often it would get used though - after all the Toppy gives you lots of oppertunities to set up timers ( and JAGs EPG can now search for program names so less likley to miss any manually programed events now .... )

G
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
GMetcalf wrote:
Hehe - Sounds like a random idea to me !

What exactly would you want to use it for ? - One solution would be to remote desktop / VNC from your ( smart ) phone to you desktop, you can then FPT or transfer files to your Toppy using a SLUG. I guess you could upload new EPG data this way.

It really does depend on what you want to do ... ?

I thought it would be great if you could program the Toppy from any WAP enabled phone, just incase you forgot to set a recording from home.

I was away last weekend and forgot to record glastonbury.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Sure, a web gateway would be handy for people who can do web stuff on their phones. But not everyone can yet.

I might experiment with SMS stuff, too; it's a novel way, especially if you can have keywords for popular programmes, as well, so you could just send 'TOPPY RECORD CSI' and know it'll work. And, of course, it can potentially generate a small amount of revenue.

If I were considering a 'packaged' service, I think I'd do something like:

a) write a custom TAP that sets the timers and runs on the Toppy - so people can use whatever EPG they like
b) provide Windows/Mac/script applications to run on a PC connected to the Toppy, as independently of the connection method as possible. So people could use an NSLU2, top-ftpd, or a standard USB connection
c) the script would connect out (since some home connections are problematical for inbound stuff) periodically to fetch a timer list from a central server
d) a web interface that people can use free of charge to set timers, either by choosing popular programs from a picklist, or setting them manually
e) an SMS service that costs 25p per message for when people want a quick and simple method

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This all sounds great,

The 25p message method I would definitely use as its simple, it should also make you some cash for your efforts.
sgtwilko
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 117
Traxmaster wrote:
I thought it would be great if you could program the Toppy from any WAP enabled phone, just incase you forgot to set a recording from home.

I was away last weekend and forgot to record glastonbury.

I develop BlueLava homecontrol (X10) software that runs in perl under apache.
This provides both Web and Wap access to standard X10 software that runs under Linux / Unix, etc.

I had looked at the puppy system, as this could be used to control a toppy to setup timers, etc. One problem is that I can't see a way to wakeup the toppy via usb or serial. If anyone knows of a way let me know and I might produce some scripts to read in the EPG, and provide info so the toppy could set timers...
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yep; I was thinking about this, and that's the one potential flaw. You would normally have to leave the Toppy turned on all the time.

Alternatively, if you programmed a wake-up timer, similar to the EPG scan used by Jag's, then the box could grab any timers already set - for most people, for example, a wake up timer at 1830 would be sufficient for the system to grab any timers they set at work, in time for the evening. You could even set a similar one for 5 minutes every half hour throughout the evening, to pick up any more that are set. I suppose you could just have a wake-up time from say 1830 to midnight, which would probably do the trick as well.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Back in Sydney!
In regards to the TAP to read in timers (for those that don't run Jags), epg_uploader is able to do this. Here in Australia we use it to load the EPG data from our computers to the Toppy (as our broadcasters suck and refuse to give us proper EPG data). But it also has the functionality to read in a specially named text file and create timers from that. Might be worth a look.