Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Getting windows to recognise ex seagate HDD

Page 1 of 1
Snick
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 102
Ok - appreciate this is not strictly a toppy issue Confused but in changing my HDD to a 200gb spinpoint, how do I get windows to recognise the toppy's 160gb hdd Rolling Eyes - done all the bios stuff (and jumper settings) but it still doesn't recognise it as the slave drive??

any clues?
Wolfie
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 252
Snick wrote:
Ok - appreciate this is not strictly a toppy issue Confused but in changing my HDD to a 200gb spinpoint, how do I get windows to recognise the toppy's 160gb hdd Rolling Eyes - done all the bios stuff (and jumper settings) but it still doesn't recognise it as the slave drive??

any clues?

I would think, as the Toppy uses a different format to Windows et al, that you'd have to run fdisk (or something more friendly, such as Partition Magic) to enable you to use it on a pc, but I couldn't say for sure. I had to do a similar thing when I took the drive out of my Pace Twin to check it for errors when it was connected to a pc.

Mick.
Snick
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
thanks

was hoping to be able to transfer .rec files directly from the seagate to the toppy via the usb - rather than copy to pc, then back again Evil or Very Mad
tubbyj
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 29 Location: wimbledon
Snick wrote:

was hoping to be able to transfer .rec files directly from the seagate to the toppy via the usb - rather than copy to pc, then back again Evil or Very Mad

have a look at tftool:- looks like it should do the job

http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/windows.php
rayd
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
Snick wrote:

any clues?

Firts of all, have a look in Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer Management...Disc Management and see if the disc is listed in the bottom right hand pane.

From there, via a right click, you have all the disc management facilities available to make a drive readable - including partitioning and formatting.

Cheers,

Ray D
Brava_210
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
On xp go - control panel,performance/maintenance,administrative tools,computer management,-disk management then right click on the drive to format it .... worked for me

Gary

Edit - beat me to it....

Brava_210
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
was hoping to be able to transfer .rec files directly from the seagate to the toppy via the usb - rather than copy to pc, then back again

i dont think you can do that - for windows to see the disk,you will need to format it which will wipe the drive

bumpkin
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jun 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Glos/Hereford border
Assuming that the drive uses some Linux format you could use something like Knoppix to access the drive and then copy across to a FAT32 partition before re-booting into Windows. The downside of this is that FAT32 can only handle a max file size of 4GB (two'ish hours of recording). Unfortunately Knoppix can't write to an NTFS partition.

Assuming your PC isn't from the dark ages and has XP on an NTFS drive you'll need either another drive or at least a FAT32 partition as well as your 160GB Seagate.
Snick
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
thanks guys

plenty to play about with then Laughing
tubbyj
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 29 Location: wimbledon
TFtool seems to do everything that is required, as per it's description:-

TFtool is a program to read and write from/to HDDs of the sat-receivers PVR 4000 from Topfield (tm) and to read from HDDs of the TF PVR 5x00 (write in beta stadium since 0.8.4).
TFtool first was developed for Win 9x/Me. Now (since 0.8.2.20), it also works under Win NT/2000/XP. At this moment, Topfield HDD size seems to be limited to 120 GB with Win9x/Me.

Features:

easy copying of files by Drag&Drop between Topfield-HDD and PC in both directions
direct copy between two Topfield-HDDs
Split-Function for large files with auto-merge when retransferring the files ( => 4GB copies with FAT32 possible)
Video preview with simple playback function (only video, no sound), single step, fast Foreward, fullsreen, screenshot and free access
Automatic Backup of FAT- and directoryinformation
Manual Backup of FAT- and directoryinformation
Repair of FAT-errors (free unreachable cluster)
Repair of XP signed HDDs
delete Files
rename files incl. event name, event description und service name
restore FAT-Backups with test function for security of system discs
Transferrate (copy) ca. 10MB/s (on my Athlon1000 from the original TF disc to a 30GB Maxtor under Win98)
cut off file begin and end (trim function) as copy
Format HDDs for TF4000 or TF5000 (beta)
Connection to ProjectX with own RawRead.dll
IanP
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
Take a look at Firebird's TopfHDWR utility. This can read and write to Toppy format hard disks attached to a PC.