Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page
 
Author Message

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Nigel, you are a star

Page 1 of 1
stuey
Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 203 Location: East London/Essex border
I would just like to take this opportunity to say a massive "Thanks" to Nigel for this forum, and all the effort he makes in providing very comprehensive information about the Toppy; I imagine this does not even scrape the surface of what he does to keep us all very much in-the-know and provide an excellent service at toppy.org.uk - but I'm sure you (and hopefully Nigel!) know what I mean!


Many thanks again Nigel - you're Top's Very Happy


Stu

p.s. Looking forward to the firmware upgrade in a few days - wish it had a "quieten hard disk true/false" setting but there we go!
View user's profile Send private message
kieronishere
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Apr 2005 Posts: 41
I totally agree. Perhaps those who concurr could donate a small sum to help Nigel keep things running smoothly - the texting method from your mobile takes seconds and is pretty painless!
View user's profile Send private message
dylan30
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Jun 2005 Posts: 4 Location: West Yorkshire
I have been wanting to replace my Pace twin with something that works. I can across the Topfield and then this site. As a long time reader of Personal Computer World it?s nice to find the familiar face of Nigel behind this site.

I am expecting delivery of my Topfield on Tuesday. Thanks to Nigel and everyone in this forum I feel confident that help is at hand if needed.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Dylan30
Razz
View user's profile Send private message
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
I am of course indebted to Nigel and this site for providing the not inconsequential backdrop for supporting my decision to purchase a Toppy.

I have too, made my contribution via the mobile, and may well do so again.

However?

I?ve never taken such action with any other provider of services, white goods, or any other gadget I own.

Why is it that I should do so now?

Why should I feel the need?

Why doesn?t Topfield provide this level of support direct from it?s own resources?

_________________
Hyde.
[size=10:da1fd20a33][b:da1fd20a33]2x TF5800 All controlled with Harmony Ultimate [/b:da1fd20a33], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -RSy+BmC0CbCfCtDsEgEmEvFsGIMPePsR0ScUUuWfXZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5 RC2;
[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bellandbottle
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I am of course indebted to Nigel and this site for providing the not inconsequential backdrop for supporting my decision to purchase a Toppy.

I have too, made my contribution via the mobile, and may well do so again.

However?

I?ve never taken such action with any other provider of services, white goods, or any other gadget I own.

Why is it that I should do so now?

Why should I feel the need?

Why doesn?t Topfield provide this level of support direct from it?s own resources?


What Nigel and the other moderators do for me, is to help us focus on what is important, they prioritise the problems, and they have established a close link with the distributor and the manufacturer.

All the above leads to quick problem resolution (eg) the hard disk issue. I have never seen a manufacturer take such swift action before.

We see exactly the same behaviour with specialist car owner clubs, for instance, where mutual trust leads to a better product.

When I post a problem here, I feel that I am contributing, not complaining - that is worth a donation Razz .

PS Mind you it takes two to tango - can you see us establishing a relationship with Whirlpool, whoever they are Confused?
View user's profile Send private message
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
bellandbottle wrote:
What Nigel and the other moderators do for me, is to help us focus on what is important, they prioritise the problems, and they have established a close link with the distributor and the manufacturer.


I'm sure they fulfil that need for yourself, and possibly many others. I'm not convinced of the "prioritise" element, since the bug list does include a weighting although I'm not sure what Topfield "see", especially given a "Turbosat" filter on that listing in the first place. The "close" link I'd prefer is one delivered directly from the manufacturer.

bellandbottle wrote:
All the above leads to quick problem resolution (eg) the hard disk issue. I have never seen a manufacturer take such swift action before.


Granted, but given the competition, shouldn't they all be much better in the first place? Shouldn't someone have said the first time they recorded and played back something... "hey, that sounds a bit noisy?".

bellandbottle wrote:
We see exactly the same behaviour with specialist car owner clubs, for instance, where mutual trust leads to a better product.


Isn't this usually after the product has gone out of production?

bellandbottle wrote:
When I post a problem here, I feel that I am contributing, not complaining - that is worth a donation Razz .

PS Mind you it takes two to tango - can you see us establishing a relationship with Whirlpool, whoever they are Confused?


Perception is in the eye of the receiver....

However you feel, isn't how the recipient might feel.

Your example of "Whirpool" goes back to my original statement. Am I only getting benefit here, because we're still on the bleeding edge of new technology, albeit, that we're comparing it to how we used VCR technology???

Not to mention my more fundamental question...

Is this really the way forward for development of household goods?

The computer can do many things based around the software it runs, written by humans, with all their foilbles.

The PVR, in my mind at least, still falls within the boundary of "it works", or "it doesn't". It is not yet up to the development levels of the x286 intel based PC.

Unless someone knows better???? Cool

_________________
Hyde.
[size=10:da1fd20a33][b:da1fd20a33]2x TF5800 All controlled with Harmony Ultimate [/b:da1fd20a33], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -RSy+BmC0CbCfCtDsEgEmEvFsGIMPePsR0ScUUuWfXZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5 RC2;
[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:

I'm sure they fulfil that need for yourself, and possibly many others. I'm not convinced of the "prioritise" element, since the bug list does include a weighting although I'm not sure what Topfield "see", especially given a "Turbosat" filter on that listing in the first place. The "close" link I'd prefer is one delivered directly from the manufacturer.


Well, there are swings and roundabouts there; some manufacturers are quite happy to run forums where they remove posts that are overly critical. And, of course, many people at Topfield don't speak english as a first language; the Topfield-Australia site is, as far as I know, run by their distributor, rather than directly.

Personally, I always think an independent space is useful, though I do think a slightly better UK web presence would be helpful.

As for prioritising, both Topfield and Turbosat can independently see the bug reports; they see the description, the notes, and the comments added by users. They don't see the score - that's largely something that we added to ensure that people who are thinking about buying aren't put off by seeing bug reports; it attempts to give an indication of how serious a problem is. Instead, the reporting system that we make available gives percentage figures for how many people gave each of the different ratings to an issue - in short, they see the full statistics, whereas site users get them all abbreviated into a 'score.'

Beyond that, of course, I am in regular contact with Turbosat, and tell them what I think are the most important issues, based on forum comments and feedback; so, for example, the three things that I've passed on as top priority after the last update are missing soundtracks, timestamp problems and the jump to live when recordings finish.

Quote:
Granted, but given the competition, shouldn't they all be much better in the first place? Shouldn't someone have said the first time they recorded and played back something... "hey, that sounds a bit noisy?".


Well, in an ideal world, they should. But if by noisy you're referring to the hard drive, that's not actually the easiest thing to spot. Most people did actually have fairly quiet Seagate drives, I think; if they didn't, there would have been a lot more people grumbling and sending them back, wouldn't there?

That they changed models is to their credit, but when you're making a product designed for the UK DTT system half way around the world, and only some of the drives turn out to be noisy, how exactly do you determine if there are real problems before you ship them out?

Unless you have an extremely widespread beta programme, you're not going to discover that issue very quickly, unless there's a major problem with all the drives.

Nigel.

_________________
Support this site - make a donation to our running costs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum