<  MyStuff  ~  Proposed update to MEI Format

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
LordCake wrote:
nwhitfield wrote:
What you'd need to do, really, is have a system that would generate EPG data from mixed sources, so that some channels could be sourced from the TVAT data, and others from places like RadioTimes.

My interest in this topic is because I am writing a php application to get radio station EPG data from bleb.org into in MEI format (ready for the day MyStuff will handle radio). The application runs after rt2mei and simply appends to the files genearated by rt2mei. Perhaps a similar approach could be used if someone were to write a "tva2mei" or "tva2tie" php script?

nwhitfield wrote:
To fit in with the TVAT data, you'd probably need a couple of extra id fields, essentially one for the crid, which is the programme's own reference, and another for the series.
@Bawbagg: any plans to include these fields in TIE Question
Well, as we have already agreed that the TIE format will be extendable (by tagging fields on the end) there is no reason that we can't designate a couple of fields either now or later for TVAT data.

There's no reason that an application couldn't (or shouldn't) use TVAT data from BBC where available, and use alternative sources (eg Radio Times or Bleb) to build up the TIE file.

On a side issue, and speaking as a developer of MEI/TIE data, I had a look at the TVAT data presented by the BBC, and although it looks fairly straightforward, it will be a much more difficult task to parse into MEI/TIE files (being embedded in a fairly complex XML structure). I don't know if the slug/asus approach will have the oomph to do the conversion. (I sincerely hope it does, 'cos I don't really fancy taking it on for an updated version of my MEI app Very Happy).

Still, I'll have a considered look at it.

Cheers,

BB

v12mike
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
This thread has been dormant for a while...
Has the TIE format been documented anywhere other than this thread?
Are any TAPs supporting TIE format yet?

My interest is due to the arrival of TUTV Anytime. I currently get my EPG data using rt2mei, but the only source of EPG data for TUTV Anytime seems to be the broadcast EIT.

I am thinking about ways to capture and combine the two data sources into a single .mei or .tie file.

If an application were written to do this, it may also be able to merge information for events that are in both data sources (e.g. pick up timing information from EIT, but take the RT extended description if it is longer).

Mike
EMJB
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
v12mike wrote:
I am thinking about ways to capture and combine the two data sources into a single .mei or .tie file.

If an application were written to do this, it may also be able to merge information for events that are in both data sources (e.g. pick up timing information from EIT, but take the RT extended description if it is longer).

Mike

The consensus view is that the naming of programmes is not sufficiently consistent (e.g. "Dr Who" vs. "Dr. Who" Vs. "Doctor Who") for this to be straightforward.
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
v12mike wrote:
This thread has been dormant for a while...
Has the TIE format been documented anywhere other than this thread?
Are any TAPs supporting TIE format yet?

My interest is due to the arrival of TUTV Anytime. I currently get my EPG data using rt2mei, but the only source of EPG data for TUTV Anytime seems to be the broadcast EIT.

Mike

Not sure why you want the TUTV Anytime listings on you toppy as only the tompson box can receive and decode it.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
DX
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2694
v12mike wrote:

You can use eit2mei to combine RT epg data from rt2mei with additional epg data from broadcast channels. It was intended mainly for adding the radio channels, but will add in TV channels like the Anytime ones as well.

The combined Freeview.mei contains the epg data from MyStuff.mei where present, and for channels not in the MyStuff.mei files it contains the broadcast epg data.

v12mike wrote:

As already mentioned this is tricky to do well in practice, and ei2mei doesn't attempt to do this.
v12mike
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
Quote:
You can use eit2mei to combine RT epg data from rt2mei with additional epg data from broadcast channels.
The combined Freeview.mei contains the epg data from MyStuff.mei where present, and for channels not in the MyStuff.mei files it contains the broadcast epg data.

I am running rt2mei, mei2eit. I tried running eit2mei as well (with the merge option), and it scanned all the channels, but the freeview.mei file only contained the info that was already fetched by mei2eit.
Is there some setting that is preventing the broadcast epg from being decoded?
DX
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2694
v12mike wrote:
I am running rt2mei, mei2eit. I tried running eit2mei as well (with the merge option), and it scanned all the channels, but the freeview.mei file only contained the info that was already fetched by mei2eit.
Is there some setting that is preventing the broadcast epg from being decoded?

Yes - running mei2eit will by default replace the broadcast epg, so you end up just with epg data from MyStuff.mei in the Toppy EPG. Run without mei2eit and you should see the broadcast epg data in the Toppy EPG. You should then be able to harvest that broadcast epg data and merge it with MyStuff.mei using eit2mei.