Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  epg_extender

Page 11 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Hi bdb

I've been experimenting with TAP load orders and believe that epg_extender is preventing any TAP loaded after it, to load themselves.

In each test I used TAP Commander to set the load order (with TAP Commander running on demand from Program Files). Then switched the Toppy to standby and back on again. Then used TAP Commander to see which TAPs were running after the boot from standby.

Tests conducted so far include:-

Quote:
Load order set was...

1. TF5000 Display 1.29
2. Remote Extender 0.5
3. epg_extender 0.02
4. eit2mei B3

Doesn't work eit2mei doesn't load.

1. epg_extender 0.02
2. eit2mei B3
3. TF5000 Display 1.29
4. Remote Extender 0.5

Doesn't work, no TAPs load after epg_extender

1. eit2mei B3
2. epg_extender 0.02
3. TF5000 Display 1.29
4. Remote Extender 0.5

Doesn't work, nothing loads after epg_extender

1. eit2mei B3
2. TF5000 Display 1.29
3. epg_extender 0.02
4. Remote Extender 0.5

Doesn't work, nothing loads after epg_extender

1. eit2mei B3
2. TF5000 Display 1.29
3. Remote Extender 0.5
4. epg_extender 0.02

Success!
So first of all, is this a resonable test, and thus the results are valid?

If so, can epg_extender be coded to co-exist in any load order, or does it's underlying functions prevent this?

If not, then could you please let me know a test procedure that would allow me to work out why these additional TAPs fail to load when placed after epg_extender.

TIA

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
bdb
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 499
You're right - how odd; I'd not noticed that.
There's nothing in epg_extender that should cause this behaviour...

As loading the epg data can take several seconds, the epg data loads using the idle events, rather than loading completely in one go, to ensure that the box remains responsive.

For some unknown reason, if I delay loading the epg data file from disk for a few seconds after starting, then the subsequent taps will load properly, but if it starts straight away (as it does in the current version), then later taps do not get loaded.

- it looks like more undocumented (i.e. buggy) firmware behaviour.
I will investigate a little further, and fix in the next release.

bdb
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Many thanks, thought it was me Confused

Are you also considering the sorting of, and automatic production of, a Freeview.mei file by lcn for the next release?

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to nag a little Wink

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
bdb
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
yep - still considering; unfortunately not enough time for actually doing at the moment
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing [/nagmodeoff]

rexy
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 106
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Are you also considering the sorting of, and automatic production of, a Freeview.mei file by lcn for the next release?

Is this required if I'm using eit2mei?

I'd like to use epg_extender to

1)improve EPG performance

2)generate genre info, for use with MeiSearch (using 'Builtin' mode)

Do you know if this will be handled by a change to epg_extender, or to MeiSearch?

3)use eit2mei to generate the mei file used by MyStuff, including the additional genre info from epg_extender

eit2mei is handy because of the scheduled and background scan - even if epg_extender generated a mei file, I'd still need a tap to handle this.

But perhaps a separate tap for this would be ideal? Or extend epg_extender to handle this?
moogaloo
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
So where are with this, is it generally stable with the latest firmware as long as you make sure it is the last thing loaded using TAP Commander?

If it is hot to trot, can I use description extended with Jags 3.0 and like above what about MEISearch can this use the genre info from either the EIT database or from a MEI file?

Also any progress on using the 4TV EPG file?
delboyuk
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2005 Posts: 568 Location: Winchester Transmitter: Rowridge
moogaloo wrote:
Also any progress on using the 4TV EPG file?
I agree, the 4TV 14 day EPG decoding would be the icing on the cake. Del Smile

HD PVR: Humax HDR-FoxT2
[Profile last updated 09Jan2012]
Mark_B
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
I am running mystuff, jags radio, jags tv, remote extender, description
extender, mei search, tf5000 display and power manager.

For the last couple of weeks I have also added epg extender and eit2mei -
these had been working fine and I'd been checking out the freeview mei file
in readiness to someday killing jags/upgrade it.

What I'd been noticing was that ITV3 didnt have any eit data in it ever for
quite some time (toppy and Jags) - possibly it had been running down since I loaded epg ender and eit2mei. I had mentioned this to another (non-toppy) freeview user who had said that all their stations had been losing data and for some days couldnt get any epg data down - they had rescanned and all was then ok.

So time for a scan I thought. I also decided it was time for a clear out -
factory reset. All worked fine -correcting Sky Travel and running channel
remover.

Without taps the toppy eit filled fine on all channels including itv3. Indeed loading Jags etc (default set as above bar epgextender and eit2mei) all worked fine.

Then added epg extender (manual start) - Epg extender started and reloaded the content - and cleared out ITV3 from eit again! so there's the culprit. It wont pick up or allow capture of data from eit toppy side this too remains blank after a long time when I go into it.

Is there a need to clear down files or delete stuff to get this restarted? or could I have hit a limit of info it can capture....how do I check?

Thanks in advance.....
RichardT
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Feb 2006 Posts: 38 Location: Surrey, UK
Putting aside the genre aspect of things, can anyone comment on and / or quantify the EPG performance improvements that might be available by running this TAP in combination with the latest versions of MyStuff and eit2mei (with its new background scan capability)?

Thanks in advance

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; TAP Commander 1.32; Power Manager v2.0; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.6; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; (USB Accelerator 1.0); (USB Upload Accelerator V2);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 26/8/13
?
bdb
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Mark_B

epg_extender will delete the entire epg when it initially loads - this is to allow it to resize the internal data buffer. It will then repopulate the epg from the saved file on disk - epg.dat.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with itv3 - it should be no different to any other channel ... Some channels; particularly those on muxA (although itv3 is on mux2) do take longer to appear, and don't forget that an epg is only gathered while you are actually watching that channel.

The capture limit should not be affecting things - if you hit it, the toppy will reduce the number of days of data stored evenly across all channels.

You could try manually deleting the epg.dat file just in case this is causing the problem.

RichardT - epg_extender increases the size of the internal epg buffer. If you are using the builtin epg, or any other epg that uses the internal epg buffer (rather than their own copy) will benefit. The increase allows for 5000 events to be stored, compared to the default of ~3000; so it can store epg data for more days. It also saves the epg to disk on exit/shutdown and then restores it upon startup, so you have a better chance of retaining a full epg.

bdb
Mark_B
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
Thanks bdb.

I've redone the tests; no epg__extend in auto start - all works fine.

I can see the itv3 data in the toppy filling up in the std toppy screen.

Delete epg.dat.

Restart with epg_extender - itv3 empty - and no data arrives no matter how long i wait on the channel and in toppy epg screen.

Wonder if you have any ideas of what else I could try. All other channels are ok.

The orginal epg.dat I have a copy of - this didnt populate anything to itv3 but using notbook I can find itv3 references within it, which seems strange. maybe that might hold a clue?

I'm going to try the above again with no taps loaded and then only start epg-extender with no epg.dat and see what they produces in case there's a clash somewhere but this has got be totally confused - there must be a bug somewhere! (toppy firmware, epg_extender, ?)

Anyone got any more ideas?
jindod
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 285
Is there anything happening with this tap?

i.e to make it save mystuff.mei automatically and disable splash screens?

it is still a useful tap if you want genre searching.

Jindod
v12mike
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
Bob,

I want to poke around the 4TV data to see if there is anything interesting about the epg data for the new TUTV Anytime channels.

[edit] I had some problem seeing the .dsmcc files, but they were there, so now to decode them...

Any chance of an update to the TAP for the latest firmware?

Mike
bdb
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mike,

I've updated epg_extender.
If you want to recompile it, you will need the latest exTap libarary (v0.09).

I've not tried it recently, but it should be fine for getting the 4tv .dsmcc files.
To decode them, you might like to try the redbutton stuff.
This will do the dsmcc decoding for you - and can even be used to display mheg pages.
You may be able to load the resultant files back into your toppy using a tap such as epg_uploader.

TUTV are also broadcasting some control data for their anytime channels - currently on anyime2.
The interesting bit (file TUTVA) is asn.1 encoded (google dumpasn1.c to decode).
This shows which streams are carrying which channels, and how many hours have been allocated to each(see below) - although it's not clear how much this may change each week, or if is currently still just test data.

- just tried this using epg_extender/redboot; seems to still work! tune to anytime2, select 'Apply DSMCC Hook', wait ~5 minutes, select 'Remove DSMCC Hook', you should now have a file 'TopUpAnytime2_<time>.dsmcc', copy this to linux/cygwin, run the redboot decoder, 'rb-download -d "<filename>.dsmcc" 0', and it should extract/decode all the dsmcc files.

bdb

Code:
'name'              'SID'          'HoursPerWeek'           
'AnimalPlanet'      TopUp Anytime1       5
'Bloomberg'         TopUp Anytime3       1
'Boomerang'         TopUp Anytime2       5
'CartoonNet'        TopUp Anytime2       7
'DiscFact'          TopUp Anytime1       5
'DiscLife'          TopUp Anytime1       5
'Life&Times'        TopUp Anytime3       7
'LIVINGtv'          TopUp Anytime1       7
'MTV'               TopUp Anytime1       7