Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Ultimate search TAP

Page 1 of 1
janilxx
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
If you want to have a automatic search words to make timers and if you want to have paddings in front of and after timer there will be situations when some programs can not be automatically timered or padding in the end of the record is not used. No search TAP can handle these both problems.

I have planned to make a search word TAP that would handle these situations. With this TAP you would get most of the search word timers to record programs as you want.

I have written some plans into the document. This is from my document and this describes the two problems I mentioned above.

Quote:

This TAP handles also these two cases:

Let's assume programs in channel X are sometimes ending late. So we are using e.g. 3 min end padding. There can also be padding in the beginning but it is not necessary (in example below we use 1 min padding in the beginning).
ProgramA, ChannelX, 21-22. Timer would be 20:59-22:03.
ProgramB, ChannelX, 22-23. Timer would be 21:59-23:03.

Because timers would overlap, we can not create second timer.
This TAP can make two different timers in two ways:
A: Cut them from EPG cut point:
ProgramA, ChannelX, 21-22. Timer would be 20:59-22:00.
ProgramB, ChannelX, 22-23. Timer would be 22:00-23:03.
B: Cut them from first timer's padding point:
ProgramA, ChannelX, 21-22. Timer would be 20:59-22:03.
ProgramB, ChannelX, 22-23. Timer would be 22:03-23:03.

Option B would most probably record whole programA in the file. ProgramB could lose some minutes from the beginning but it is not as bad to lose something from the beginning than from the end.

Let's assmume 1 min padding is used in the beginning and the end of the timer.
ProgramA, Channel1, 21-22. Timer would be 20:59-22:01.
ProgramB, Channel2, 21-22. Timer would be 20:59-22:01.
ProgramC, Channel3, 22-23. Timer would be 21:59-23:01.

Because there is two timers already at time 21:59, ProgramC can not be timered.
This TAP can handle this situation so that it delays timer for ProgramC so that
it begins 22:01 when there is tuners available.

I have planned to use MeiSearch TAP's codes as a base for my TAP. MeiSearch can use Toppy's, Jag's and MEI data for EPG, it has at least some search routines already there. It has many useful features already there. I was planning to add my own features on top of MeiSearch so that I would not change MeiSearch sources if it is not needed. This way I could "easily" take new MeiSearch codes into use (if there will be e.g. bug fixes or new features in MeiSearch in the future).

BUT I do not have time to code this TAP (even I would like to do it).

So I definitely need help. Are you willing to code this TAP? If yes, I can give my current plans and "specifications" for you and you could code it. Of course we can discuss more about the features and the result can be anything (but it has to have the features I need (mentioned in quotes above). I can beta test it!

PS. Another good reason to have search TAP separated from EPG TAP is that you can use easily what ever EPG TAP you want.

EDIT: I believe coding this TAP would not be so big task.
cdmackay
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Nov 2005 Posts: 223 Location: Cambridge, Tx Sandy Heath
janilxx wrote:
If you want to have a automatic search words to make timers and if you want to have paddings in front of and after timer there will be situations when some programs can not be automatically timered or padding in the end of the record is not used. No search TAP can handle these both problems.

Unless I'm misreading, I think MyStuff, with its automatic padding adjust (across channels, not the default) can already handle both these cases, no?

Other OneForAll 12 Universal Remote URC-7781.
janilxx
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
cdmackay wrote:

Unless I'm misreading, I think MyStuff, with its automatic padding adjust (across channels, not the default) can already handle both these cases, no?

MyStuff can handle more cases than any other search TAP, but it can not handle my 1 - B situation. For problem 1, I am particularily wanting solution B.

I have not checked what kind of operators can be used in searches in MyStuff. I would at least want to have the same operators as Jag's has (not, starting with, ending with, ...).

And I don't like TAPs that try to handle everything. I would like to have one TAP per function (one for EPG, one for search words, one for jumping, one for infobox, ...).
cdmackay
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Nov 2005 Posts: 223 Location: Cambridge, Tx Sandy Heath
ah, I see, thanks for the clarification.

Other OneForAll 12 Universal Remote URC-7781.