Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Power & Factory reset for firmware upgrade?

Page 1 of 1
msteggalls
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Posts: 721 Location: Ipswich, UK
During communication with Andy Cullen about an issue I am having with playing playlists using his ProgressBarKeys (PBK) TAP, he asked what firmware I was on and when I told him I had upgraded it he asked me to confirm that I had switched the power to the Topfield off and then done a factory reset as per "the instructions".

Now, I hadn't done this as it was not specified as part of the firmware upgrade guide so kindly published by Nigel Whitfield (Thanks), but I'm wondering whether this should be included?

I have noticed a few issues mentioned on this forum which, I believe, have been cured by a factory reset, and its something that the Australian users have found and hence why Andy has included in his firmware upgrade instructions

http://members.westnet.com.au/web/acullen/topfield/Aus_30Mar05_Firmware.htm

and reasons for this he told me were....

"We have found with the Australian firmware that sometimes you get strange results if you do not switch the power off to the Topfield after the upgrade. Switching the power off means the Topfield is completely rebooted. When you switch to standby the Topfield is still running the standby firmware. I would always switch the power off after a firmware upgrade to ensure a full reboot of the Topfield.

A factory reset should also be performed as sometimes the structure of channel and timer information is changed from one firmware to the next. If you perform these steps you can guarantee a clean firmware upgrade. If you skip these steps then strange things can happen. The Australian forum has many posts regarding problems with firmware upgrades from people who did not follow my upgrade procedure."

Any comments?

Martyn
ceejbee
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 145 Location: The Black Country
When I carried out the May firmware updates, I also did not disconnect my Toppy from the mains supply, I just switched it to standby.

Although I have not experienced any 'no sound' problems, I have noticed the initial silence, (around 3 seconds), on each recording. Following a suggestion on the 'no sound' thread in the bugs section, I have reverted to the May 10th firmware, as I do not use the radio function at all.

This time though, I followed the instructions from Turbosat's site:

http://www.heathrowsystems.com/downloads/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=23

which mentions complete disconnection from the mains, to allow complete installation of the firmware, following re-connection.

I also always remove any TAP's beforehand and re-install them afterwards.

I still suffer some silence at the beginning of recordings, but it doesn't seem as much as with the latest, (May 11th), firmware. There is not much in it though.

ceejbee.
Darkmatter
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Yes, we do recommend performing a factory reset after upgrading the firmware. We adopted the Oz approach after finding people were experiencing similar problems reported on the Oz forums ? which were cured by a factory reset. Uniquely to us, the audio configuration changed in our upgrade, and some users found their boxes were set to something other than auto. In Nigel?s defence we adopted this recommendation after the guide was written, and issued the recommendation via the forum.

Fair comment on the full power cycle. It?s something that?s very easy to do, so we?ll probably add that to the recommendation as well.

Just to make everyone aware ? a factory reset will reset all configuration data associated with the menu?s ? everything will be reset ? this includes the timer list, and the channels ? you?ll have to reprogram both. No programme on the hard disk will be affected ? all your recorded shows are safe.
msteggalls
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Posts: 721 Location: Ipswich, UK
Darkmatter wrote:

Uniquely to us, the audio configuration changed in our upgrade, and some users found their boxes were set to something other than auto. In Nigel?s defence we adopted this recommendation after the guide was written, and issued the recommendation via the forum.

I wasn't complaining about Nigels guide, far from it, but having been advised by Andy Cullen of the different Oz procedure compared to the one I had followed and not having seen this as UK recommendation here on this forum (although it looks like I obviously missed it), I thought I'd just point what I been advised - and, really, as expect you guys were on the ball anyway - Thanks

Martyn
ceejbee
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 145 Location: The Black Country
No complaints here either.

After about two months of ownership, I still have a lot to learn about the Toppy. However, day to day use has now become second nature, and my main problem at the moment is that I am finding it too easy to record TV programmes.

Consequently, the hard drive on my Toppy is almost full, with many files that I wish to keep. So my next step is to buy a 250GB USB hard drive to archive some files to, and burn to DVD a few gems of programmes, which, without the Toppy, I would not have been able to capture in such quality.

As you may have gathered, I am still very impressed with this kit. I am also very impressed with this forum and am grateful for the assistance gained from it. Keep up the good work guys!

ceejbee.