Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Forum software

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
matt
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Great new look forum. Well done Nigel.

I'd like to bring to everybody's attention the "view new posts since last visit" link at the bottom of every page.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

I have bookmarked this and it let's me manage my viewing of the forum a lot better. Try it out.

You can also click the little page icon

to jump to the newest post in each thread.

Also, I'd suggest for the NoseBleed skin, you may want to optimise the top imnage as for every page that's a 65kb download!

matt
DB1
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
I don't think the "view all since last visit" is any substitute for a jump to first unread at the thread level. This way I have to pull a load of posts that I might not want to read.

Also the "mark all read" appear as a choice on pages right down to the thread level. I thought to mark the rest of the thread, but it clobbers the whole forum and drops you back to the main index.

And despite any tweaks Nigel might have done it's still very slow.
DB1
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Are you supposed to use "mark all as read" Because the "new post" indicators don't go off . Did mark all from the bugs forum but the main index still says there is a new post.

Getting even slower BTW It is almost unusable.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
I'll chance that link at the top - it was a quick hack to address a complaint; it might be better to take it out and let people scroll down the page.

Meanwhile, I think performance is obviously still an issue; I came home from my volunteering to find the system load average over 30, and 32k of swap space left.

To try and resolve some of those issues, I've upgraded the database server to a newer version, which allows for more extensive tweaks.

I've also completely disabled the forum indexing and search facilities for the time being, since these build up an index each time a message is posted or edited, and accessing that table was proving to be extremely slow, and was a prime candidate for the gobbling up of the memory on the system.

I'll now keep a closer eye on things this evening and see if the removal of the search and the update to the MySQL software (from 3 to 4 for those who are about such things) has improved matters.

Nigel.
groovyf
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
nigel, did you see my suggestion about turning on GZIP Compression in the General Admin/Config area of the admin panel?

I've found that to help alot

nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I did see it, but I don't think it'll help in our circumstances. It compresses data sent to the browser, but that's not the bottleneck.

The problem we have here is that the MySQL server is gobbling up memory and processing queries very slowly. It seems a little better now that I've changed the forum to avoid the indexing done by the search facility; even trying to open the search word list table in my MySQL client was taking several minutes, which is unacceptable.

I've deleted the table data, and removed the functions that rely on it. The longer term solution is to beef up the hardware, which needs more memory - though I have a client's web site on this machine, it's hardly used, and this is the first time the database server has been really hammered.

In theory, adding memory is simple; in practise it means arranging access to the data centre to fit the module, which may be tricky.

Nigel.
DB1
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quote
Much, much better performance wise. Also the new post indicators seem to be behaving now. Maybe it was a symptom of the indexing problems.

Much happier bunny Smile Thanks Nigel
DB1
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Latest tweaks seem to have fixed things.

One comment. A topic with new posts. The left hand widget hover help says "Newest" and the right most widget hover help says "Latest" Can the former be changed to "first unread" because that is what it seems to do.
DB1
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote
Sometimes, in Mozilla at least, I get a horizontal scroll bar when in a thread screen. (As against a forum or the forum list.) Happened this morning in the Performance thread.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote
That happens when someone posts a very long single word, which makes a line that can't be split in the right place.

I think there's a phpBB mod for that, but I'm reluctant to do too much more tinkering until the new memory has been installed in the server, now that the performance is tolerable at last.

Nigel.
Sulli
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
Is there anyway that the forum software can remember what posts a user has read and not read even if the browser session is closed?

I don't always have the time to read all the post in one visit to the site and so lose track of threads when I come back.
matt
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
No, but if you log out before closing the browser it may help.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D