Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4.0

Page 66 of 145
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 143, 144, 145  Next
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Hi Bob, Its strange but occasionaly i will get a TUTV recording that wont ask me for the pin, it doesn't happen very oftem but ive had about 4 recordings now. By the sounds of it, it wouldnt help if i sent the file as the data is not stored in the file but in the directory structure. Just thought id let you know.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
BobD
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Hi UKJ

Thanks, but this problem has now been resolved in the next version of MyStuff, thanks to the investigations of DX (cheers DX!), so you will no longer be asked for PIN to play back TUTV recordings

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
EMJB
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
Just come across another minor niggle - sometimes the episode info won't fit on a single line in the "info" screen so the end gets lost. Last of the Summer Wine tonight is an example.

Will invalid files in the archive be marked as such in the next release?
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:56 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi EMJB,

I am not sure what you mean here. Why do you call the file invalid? and why do you need it marked? IIRC Mystuff just truncates really long file names but the descriptions/ info is kept intact...

CW

EMJB
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Hi EMJB,

I am not sure what you mean here. Why do you call the file invalid? and why do you need it marked? IIRC Mystuff just truncates really long file names but the descriptions/ info is kept intact...

CW

I mean the dreaded "0 Mbyte" files, or similar. As I said in an earlier post, if you don't know the file is invalid, you may miss a chance to record a repeat and then when you come to watch it ....
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi EMJB,

I understand what you mean now! These file are purposefully hidden by MyStuff actually Confused I can see what you mean about having them falgged though. Maybe they could be highlighted someway in a list? We will have to see if Bob thinks it is a good idea...

Cheers

CW

StuB
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 116
Hi,

I recently posted on the Best EPG thread in the New Users section that I thought that EPG Navigator has a somewhat clearer look than MyStuff, and ChunkyWizard asked if I could explain why.

Although it was difficult to put my finger on what made one seem clearer than the other, I decided to post my musings here so that other MyStuff users could see it and hopefully join in the discussion. I have broken my ponderings into a number of (P)oints and then a (R)esponse for each one.

As MyStuff is my default EPG, the first thing I did was load EPG Navigator so that a second press of Guide would allow my to quickly switch and compare the two.

The thing that immediately struck me was the EPGNav just looks less "busy" than the MyStuff EPG. Making for a cleaner and clearer interface.

P1. The main thing I noticed was the EPGNav has a very simple (stylish?) colour scheme. It is basically a blue background, with the grid made up of slightly different blue blocks. The lines between the rows are basically just the background colour, as opposed to MyStuff which by default introduces white dividing lines between everything.

I loaded the EPGNavigator skin for MyStuff and found that, for me, this was a huge improvement.

R1. While possibly a presonal prefence issue, which can be largely overcome with skins, it does suggest that the default MyStuff scheme could do with some improvement. The use of dividing lines in different colour adds to the overall busy feel of the screen.

P2. Next I looked at the overall layout of the two EPGs. MyStuff has the description at the top, followed by the grid itself, whereas EPGNav has the grid first with the description below.

This strikes me as the better way of the two, as the primary purpose of the EPG is the information grid. Placing this at the top puts the more important information first, with the secondary information (the description) further down the screen.

This also means that in EPGNav, the screen looks less cluttered, as the top line is simply the grid time line and the current time, followed by the grid itself. Whereas in Mystuff, there has to be additional division bewteen the description and the timeline, adding to the screen furniture and making the screen feel busier.

R2. Putting the primary information first not only makes sense, it can also reduce screen clutter. If not all users agree, perhaps this could be an option?

P3. EPGNav displays ten channels at once, and does this without looking as though the grid is displaying too much information at once. The closest option in MyStuff is 12 channels, which can look like there is too much on screen at one time (but eight channels is not enough Very Happy ).

It may be that ten channels is the just the best option for my TV, but I can't deny that EPGNav does not look cluttered at all displaying this much data.

R3. Should the user be allowed to specify the number of channels to display in the grid (between 1 and 12)? MyStuff could then take this number and the available space on screen, and dynamically build the grid using the appropraite row sizes. Combining this with the options for the number of hours to show (and some clever font size handling) would give a solution that would allow each user to come to the best solution for their own particular TV set up.

I'm not sure if I have definitely put my finger on what makes EPGNav seem clearer to me, but I hope I have given some ideas that can be thought on.

Even with these issues with the appearance of MyStuff, it is still by far the best "EPG+ Suite" avaialble, and I am thankful for all the work put in so far.

Cheers
Stu.

Ps. Has any thought been given to adding help information to MyStuff? EpgNav allows the user to press text to get a list of commands that can be used. This could be a useful idea for the Timers and Archive screens, where no on screen guide is currently given, and also for the EPG as more functionality is introduced. Just an idea Wink

Last edited by StuB on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
burundi
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 26
Just some feedback:

I installed RemoteExtender to get around the Now&Next issue I was having with the Pg+ and Pg- keys and everything is working as sweet as a nut now. Thanks to you all for your help.

On another note, I have setup a search for Postman Pat and Bob the Builder, (not for me, Honest!!), do these searches just run indefinitely finding Bob and Pat on the selected channels until I manually end them or do they only run for a pre-defined period?

Cheers
Burundi.

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Those searches will remain until you remove them.

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
StuB wrote:
P1. The main thing I noticed was the EPGNav has a very simple (stylish?) colour scheme. It is basically a blue background, with the grid made up of slightly different blue blocks. The lines between the rows are basically just the background colour, as opposed to MyStuff which by default introduces white dividing lines between everything.

I loaded the EPGNavigator skin for MyStuff and found that, for me, this was a huge improvement.
That's the beauty of skinning, you can change these settings for something you like, or download from a great selection on Bob's web site. You can even see a screen shot of them before downloading to help you decide which one you'd like.

StuB wrote:
R1. While possibly a presonal prefence issue, which can be largely overcome with skins, it does suggest that the default MyStuff scheme could do with some improvement. The use of dividing lines in different colour adds to the overall busy feel of the screen.
Well that's just the default, as you say, it can be changed.

StuB wrote:
P2. Next I looked at the overall layout of the two EPGs. MyStuff has the description at the top, followed by the grid itself, whereas EPGNav has the grid first with the description below.

This strikes me as the better way of the two, as the primary purpose of the EPG is the information grid. Placing this at the top puts the more important information first, with the secondary information (the description) further down the screen.

This also means that in EPGNav, the screen looks less cluttered, as the top line is simply the grid time line and the current time, followed by the grid itself. Whereas in Mystuff, there has to be additional division bewteen the description and the timeline, adding to the screen furniture and making the screen feel busier.

R2. Putting the primary information first not only makes sense, it can also reduce screen clutter. If not all users agree, perhaps this could be an option?
Option for me Very Happy

StuB wrote:
P3. EPGNav displays ten channels at once, and does this without looking as though the grid is displaying too much information at once. The closest option in MyStuff is 12 channels, which can look like there is too much on screen at one time (but eight channels is not enough Very Happy ).

It may be that ten channels is the just the best option for my TV, but I can't deny that EPGNav does not look cluttered at all displaying this much data.

R3. Should the user be allowed to specify the number of channels to display in the grid (between 1 and 12)? MyStuff could then take this number and the available space on screen, and dynamically build the grid using the appropraite row sizes. Combining this with the options for the number of hours to show (and some clever font size handling) would give a solution that would allow each user to come to the best solution for their own particular TV set up.
Need Bob to advise on how it easy it would be having user specified number of rows, but could solve this issue for a number of users. I use the 12 channel option with no problems, with a favs list of 19 channels.

StuB wrote:
I'm not sure if I have definitely put my finger on what makes EPGNav seem clearer to me, but I hope I have given some ideas that can be thought on.
Food for thought, so many thanks indeed. Very Happy

StuB wrote:
Ps. Has any thought been given to adding help information to MyStuff? EpgNav allows the user to press text to get a list of commands that can be used. This could be a useful idea for the Timers and Archive screens, where no on screen guide is currently given, and also for the EPG as more functionality is introduced. Just an idea Wink
You do know about pressing the List key a few times whilst the Archive is displayed? Wink

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
StuB
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 116
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
That's the beauty of skinning, you can change these settings for something you like, or download from a great selection on Bob's web site. You can even see a screen shot of them before downloading to help you decide which one you'd like.

StuB wrote:
Well that's just the default, as you say, it can be changed.

I think those of us that use MyStuff understand about the skinning, but until I was aksed why I thought EPGNav looked cleaner, I hadn't bothered to load any in.

If you add to this the fact that new, inexperienced users will be more likely not to know about skinning in MyStuff, and possibly be put off by the UI on offer, there is a definite argument for making the native MyStuff look as clean as possible.

HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Need Bob to advise on how it easy it would be having user specified number of rows, but could solve this issue for a number of users. I use the 12 channel option with no problems, with a favs list of 19 channels.

I also currently use a 12 channel view, and if I hadn't seen EPGNav might not really have thought it an issue. But having seen ho wmuch better it could look, you do notice when going back to MyStuff.

As you say, it would depend on how bob has implemented the current EPG number of channels option as to whether this can be reasonably easily implemented or not.

HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
StuB wrote:
You do know about pressing the List key a few times whilst the Archive is displayed? Wink

Well, I didn't know about this (despite having printed and browsed the manual), but have read about it twice so far this morning Embarassed

I would suggest though, that with a growing set of functionality, and therefore a grwoing manual, that this sort of behaviour should be available on all MyStuff screens.

If I have tell my wife to press play to set a watch timer, because there is no other way for her to find out from MyStuff, it indicates that it would improve the suites usability.

At the very least, where help information is available, a prompt could be good idea to help new users (Press List or Text or whatever for help)?

Cheers
Stu.
moogaloo
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
moogaloo wrote:

1) In the single channel view (now+next with 16 more events) when I try and go foreward a page at a time quite ofren it moves just one line down or not at all I normally have to press page down about 3 times before it moves down
I can't get this to happen. Are you pressing >> ?

OK had a check of this, I am using the << >> keys, if I do this quickly it does it correctly. If I pause on a page of information for around 5 seconds or more it will require me to press >> twice, sometimes three times?

My EPG source is RT2MEI and it happens on any page not just the last page
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
moogaloo wrote:
OK had a check of this, I am using the << >> keys, if I do this quickly it does it correctly. If I pause on a page of information for around 5 seconds or more it will require me to press >> twice, sometimes three times?

My EPG source is RT2MEI and it happens on any page not just the last page
So it does Confused Good spot Very Happy One to add to the change log Sad

EMJB
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Hi EMJB,

I understand what you mean now! These file are purposefully hidden by MyStuff actually Confused I can see what you mean about having them falgged though. Maybe they could be highlighted someway in a list? We will have to see if Bob thinks it is a good idea...

Cheers

CW

Don't understand remark about them being hidden. I have had at least two duff files that appeared in the MyStuff archive. One was 2 KB long, and the other 57 MB for 90 mins.
ah5150
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Telford / Birmingham
can i increase the limit on the number of timers set?

using control timers, if i set the number of days to search to "2" i have about 48 timers created. This is all well and good, but i'm going away till friday - if i extend the CT search days (to 4) i get 84 timers created and warnings on timers thats don't have clashes (because they have exceeded timer list limit)