Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Considering 5800. Please advise.

Page 1 of 1
benhinman
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 May 2005 Posts: 44
Hiya,

Let me first say that toppy.org.uk is great. I have loved pondering over the guides and the screenshots!

I am looking into a 5800 but I have a few questions.

Firstly, I am quite a competant programmer and was VERY interested to see a device that I could actually expand and make my own Smile I would like to know - is everything customizable on the device? I have seen Jag's EPG (awesome) and it looks nothing like the actual firmware EPG... how does this work? when u turn on the box does it go instantly there? Do you have to click a menu item to activate it? Essentially, with the use of TAPS, can I effectively write my own interface which I see from booting to turning off?

Secondly, I am an OSX user. What kind of support is out there for someone wanting to do the things suggested above?

Finally, I have read a few forum posts about EPG problems. I am very used to my Thomson DT4000 epg which gets its info from 4tv. What kind of problems should I expect when using freeviews own (slow loads...???)?

I am really really liking the fact that this will allow me to get rid of both my thomson and home made freeview enabled MCE box. I will probably be expanding the Toppy greatly to look a cross between Sky and MCE - my dream solution!

I would really love for u guys to come back and tell me this is thing I have been waiting for!!

Cheers for all your help!
Ben
Sulli
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
benhinman wrote:

is everything customizable on the device?

It is limited, but to what I have no clue.

benhinman wrote:

when u turn on the box does it go instantly there? Do you have to click a menu item to activate it?

TAPs can be automatically loaded at startup by placing in a specific folder. You can manually load the TAPs if wanted.

You can also manually stop TAPs if needed without turning off Toppy.

benhinman wrote:

What kind of problems should I expect when using freeviews own (slow loads...???)?

Freeview EPG has a slow load depending on signal strength, and at the moment due to technical issue with local transmitters here in Manchester I have no EPG data at all.

Using EPGs like JAGs the data is stored to HDD so can be viewed even if transmitter problems.
benhinman
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks for clearing some of that up for me!

Umm, if I can basically replace the default UI with my own I will be extremely happy Smile I still don't fully understand how this works though. Say I create a UI which covers simply a section of the screen, and I place it in the auto-start folder. What will I see underneath? tv feed or the default menu system? Does it disable the default UI alltogether? (i would hope so)

This is the big one for me as you can tell! Frankly the default UI is revolting and lackluster in terms of its functionality.

And I forgot... the firmware software currently doesn't support series-links (or weekly recordings etc...) or does it?

This system I don't think is currently worth the money to be honest. The EPG problems and the series links are definately an issue for me.

If I could write an entire front-end layer to get the functionality I need I may be interested, as the hardware is good and its one of the nicest looking boxes at the moment. Maybe the Inverto is the way to go currently? What would you suggest?

Cheers.
Ben
Sulli
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
Quote:
Say I create a UI which covers simply a section of the screen, and I place it in the auto-start folder. What will I see underneath? tv feed or the default menu system? Does it disable the default UI alltogether? (i would hope so)

It doesn't disable the default UI, its just you can't call on it if you have set up a TAP to load another screen on a remote key press.

I have JAGs running at the moment on startup. On a press of the GUIDE button instead of the firmware EPG loading the JAGs EPG is shown instead. This is the same for the LIST button where the default firmware view is replace with a modified version from JAGs.
I also use JAGs for the viewing of my timer list as its much clearer and easier to get to. I'm not a programmer but I think most of the displays can be created using TAPs and used instead.

The Toppy has One Time, Every Day, Every Weekend, Every Weekday, Weekly record functions. It doesn't have series-link. I don't know how that works, but If its just a case of knowing the amount of episodes in a series and recording weekly for that number, that could be simply added using a TAP.

Well i've not used the Inverto but for my use i'd probably still pick Toppy. I record a lot so the USB feature, 160gig drive sold it for me. Also the use of TAPs just makes things more fun. JAGs has sorted out nearly all of the features I would want added to the Toppy that the firmware does not provide.

Last edited by Sulli on Thu May 19, 2005 10:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
IanP
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
benhinman wrote:
Hiya,
... is everything customizable on the device? I have seen Jag's EPG (awesome) and it looks nothing like the actual firmware EPG... how does this work?

It's a TAP, you can create any look you want when programming a TAP (but there are only 3 built in font sizes and only a simple window function with support for lists. You can plot points or draw rectangles, filled boxes and bitmap images).
Quote:
Essentially, with the use of TAPS, can I effectively write my own interface which I see from booting to turning off?

Nearly. Service search and Organising favourites is not currently available as part of the TAP API. You would have to use a seperate favourites sytem to replace it in order to also replace the Services window (displayed by the OK/List or List keys). The rest of the on screen display can be replaced.
Quote:
Secondly, I am an OSX user. What kind of support is out there for someone wanting to do the things suggested above?

The cross compiler is only available for Windows currently. OS update software is also only available for Wintel boxes. You can transfer files to/from the Toppy with a MAC that has USB2 ports.
Quote:
Finally, I have read a few forum posts about EPG problems.

The built in Topfield EPG does not cache the EPG data when put into standby. It loads EPG data relating to the channels on a mux when you visit a channel on that mux. To make sure it can get all the (fresh) data it needs it insists on changing to the channel/mux when you navigate between channels in the EPG. This is NOT A BIG PROBLEM since TAPs like JAGs EPG are now available that do cache the EPG data (overnight like 4TV boxes do).
IanP
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
benhinman wrote:

And I forgot... the firmware software currently doesn't support series-links.

If I could write an entire front-end layer to get the functionality I need I may be interested, as the hardware is good and its one of the nicest looking boxes at the moment. Maybe the Inverto is the way to go currently? What would you suggest?

Cheers.
Ben

Series links require meta data as supplied by the likes of Sky and Tivo in their proprietry EPGs. The DVB standards for EPG data as used by the UK DTT system (commonly refered to as the "Freeview" EPG) don't support this level of meta data. The open standard TV Anytime may be implemented on UK DTT at some point in the future. TV Anytime would allow series links (and much more). Until thenyou can either subscribe to Sky for their EPG or get a Toppy and use a TAP with pattern matching to create a system similar to series links on (e.g. record any event on "ITV1" between "7pm" and "12am" called "coronation street".)

IMHO the Inverto is overpriced for what it is/does. The Sagem is only 130 the Inverto should be about 150-170.

(Edited to correct spelling of "cory" Embarassed bad example there.)

Last edited by IanP on Thu May 19, 2005 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
digsatman
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 May 2005 Posts: 166 Location: West Midlands
IanP wrote:

create a system similar to series links on (e.g. record any event on "ITV1" between "7pm" and "12am" called "coranation street".)

Although you might have more success with "Coronation Street" !!!
benhinman
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok cheers for the clarification.

I think although the expandability is attractive, it does not provide me with enough functionality. I would need a deeper level of control to get the most use out of it.

I will however keep an open mind and put off my decision. The Inverto software is the Thomson software. If the Toppy had all that functionality and the ability just to skin the interface then I would go the Toppy route. Programming everything myself is appealing but as I said functionality of the TAPS is limited.

Thanks very much guys.
Ben
IanP
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
What can the Thomson/Fusion/Inverto software do that you can't do on a Topfield with TAPs? How is the finctionality of TAPs limited? It provides a huge amount of flexibility to customise the Toppy more so than any other box apart from completely open source solutions.