Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Unable to install NEW FIRMWARE

Page 1 of 1
robbogee
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I have followed Nigel's User's Guide (rev 1.1) to the letter, and everything seems as it should be as far as step 4. When I switch on my Toppy the C456 message appears followed by "run" followed by the number of the channel I was watching last, and no data transfer takes place.
The two screens in Altair appear as they should, with a list of the Toppy files in the left window, so I assume he USB connection is OK.

Help!
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Did you remember to quit Altair after using it to check that the Toppy was visible to the PC?

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
No, I didn't. I've just checked on "My Computer" with the Toppy switched on, but it does not appear as an external device.

But it does appear under "Device Manager" as Topfield 1st Device (VID_11DB&PID) using TfBulk.SYS

Do I have to click on one of the arrows between the two screens in Altair?
Darkmatter
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Don't worry about the Toppy not showing up in explorer, it doesn't support the required protocols.

Try these steps: Close Altair, close explorer, put the Toppy in to Standby, and try again from step 2 onward
Brava_210
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
i didn think you used altair to transfer firmware,-i used the usb transfer programme i only used altair first to check usb connection ?
please excuse me if i am wrong....

gary

robbogee
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Darkmatter wrote:
Don't worry about the Toppy not showing up in explorer, it doesn't support the required protocols.

Try these steps: Close Altair, close explorer, put the Toppy in to Standby, and try again from step 2 onward

THANK YOU. At last, at the 5th attempt I seem to have done it. Thanks for your help. Now to take it back into the lounge and hook it up again as soon as She Who Must Be Obeyed has finished watching Casualty!
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll tweak the guide tomorrow to make it clearer - you only use Altair to just check that the connection is working.

You MUST quit it before you can do the firmware transfer.

Strictly speaking, the Altair step isn't necessary, but I included it to make sure that people have the connection working before anything else.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 78
Sorry if the usual 'Wally of the week' question but I am puzzled. I downloaded the Utility set 1.0.4 but the utility that results appears to support Serial but not USB. I don't see the TFDN USB utility referred to at all.

I see the message from Bravo_210 which supports what I thought was the case - ie Altair is simply used to check the link. In my case that seems OK and I terminated Altrair OK but the program doesn't seem to recognise the USB link.

Advice would be welcome - it isn't too convenient having to lug the PC downstairs just to make a test!!

Roy
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The installer for the PC Utilities has update tools in it for both serial and USB links. You need to make sure the USB one is ticked in the installer, otherwise it won't be aded to your system. If that's the case, the best bet is to uninstall them utilities, then re-install them again. Make sure you choose the PVRt options, and scroll through the list of things to be installed, checking that there's a tick in the box for the USB firmware tool.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:13 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 78
Thank you Nigel - I hadn't installed it from the list. Works great now.

Roy