Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Enhanced Feature Request

Page 1 of 1
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Would it be possible to have some way to distinguish between programs already viewed and the one that haven't in the Recorded Programs Archive.
E.G. Different colour titles or a tick box.
samarney
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Apr 2005 Posts: 50 Location: Cumbria, Caldbeck transmitter
Nice idea, I'd like to see this too.
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Samarney, I thought a few others may have commented. Its especially usefull if more than 1 person uses it, that way they hopefully wont delete it, if it hadn't been viewed. Lets add it to the list Laughing
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I can see where this is useful, but it needs a bit of thought before it's a fully fledged feature suggestion, since there are lots of different ways something like this can be done.

For example, should it be automatic, or should it be manual - for example, a way to just put a tick box on an entry in the file list.

If it's automatic, what exactly constitutes something having been played?

Does just the very act of starting to play mark something as watched? Or does it have to be a certain percentage? Or do you have to watch a file until playback stops automatically, which might mean sitting through the padding at the end of a recording.

If you've recorded a long programme, but skipped through most just to watch the end - perhaps something you started watching, and then saved using the Current Event mode - should it then be marked?

There's a lot of decisions, which in turn will affect how much state information needs to be stored to keep track of all of this.

That can potentially affect how easy it is to implement. Remember that adding attributes to files could require changes in the file system, which is a major undertaking. If attributes are stored separately, then there's less work to be done, but potentially the danger of attributes becoming separated from the file to which they apply - how do you handle renaming a file, for example, or moving it elsewhere.

I'm not saying that this can't be added as a feature request - just that it requires more thought. It would be good to add a detailed request - we might then have more chance of getting something we'd really like, rather than just coming up with a bare-bones idea, and then realising that we don't like the way it's been implemented by the programmers.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hi Nigel, I totally see your point; I guess I would like to see other users opinions on this. If other users don't see the point of this feature then we'll live with it. Feedback would be appreciated to see if it?s worthy. Thanks in advance.
Cammy
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Location: Blackhill Transmitter
Well if you want a manual solution, just create a folder called "Watched" and move recording there once you've..err...watched them Smile

For an automatic solution, if we could get automatic bookmarking when you press stop, you could hightlight those recording which don't yet have a bookmark (you would need it to leave a bookmark at the very end once you'd watched it to completion). You could extend this to show a summary of how much of each recording was still unviewed.
twelfthmonkey
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 63
Cammy wrote:
if we could get automatic bookmarking when you press stop

This already exists in the form of latest firmware and a TAP 'Bookmark 2uk (version 2.3)' see TAP's section of the forum, or am I just misunderstanding your reply.
Cammy
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Location: Blackhill Transmitter
No, you've not misunderstood. I know there is a TAP to do the auto-bookmarking but I assumed we were blue-skying what we would like to see in the firmware.
twelfthmonkey
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 63
Ah, enough said. Embarassed
kaytie
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The rule with Sky+ is that watched stuff is killed off first when disk space is low.

"Watched" means played more than a few seconds of it (yes, you could argue about it, but getting a few minutes in to Grand Designs and realising it's warmed over old stuff ought to put it on the list for being deleted).

Pressing a button toggles a "Keep" flag on the recording, which is a "don't delete" marker. When disk space is low watched stuff, oldest first, is canned. Then unwatched, oldest first. "Keep" stuff is never deleted.

It's pretty simple stuff that gets you most of the way to a prioritised recording system wtithout making the UI overly complex.

K.
la
la
line
eater