Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  7 day EPG seems to be missing

Page 1 of 1
mgibbons
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
I've just installed the Toppy and cannot seem to see any EPG data other than for the current day. When I press the "yellow" button to move to a different day nothing happens. I am I just being incredibly stupid or is there something I have to do to get this to work?

BTW I leave the box in standby most of the time. Does this affect EPG loading?
matt
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
It takes a while (20 seconds or so at 100% reception) for the EPG data to be received. It is transmitted with the channel, so you have to wait for it to "load".

Also, you'll only get the EPG data for the channel you are on, so you'll need to visit each channel for 20 seconds or so to get their EPG data. In nromal use this takes care of itself, it's just that on first installation it can be a bit of a chore.

This happens with all freeview receivers.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Also, note that in some areas of the country, there is engineering work going on related to bringing back the ITV News channel. That has messed up EPG information for other channels on the same mux for a short period - sometimes a couple of days. Other channels that will be affected are ITV1 & 2, Channel 4, E4, ITV3.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 25 Location: Surrey, UK
Thanks for all the information in this and other forums. I'm seriously considering getting a UK Toppy, since my Pace Twin died (the "init" firmware problem).

Looking at the screenshots, the 7-day EPG seems to show just 4 channels and has Picture-in-Picture.

Is there also a mode (or a TAP?) where e.g. 10 channels can be shown (presumably without PIP or the program info to free up the screen space) ... i.e. something like the Pace Twin? Can the screen be zoomed to show 2 or 3 or 4 hours etc?

Obviously, this is a partisan website, but is the Toppy really the best thing since sliced bread (@ 300), if you are not a TAP programmer?

For all it's faults (and the list is long) the Twin was a joy to use and own, so intuitive, when it didn't crash. Is the Toppy for me?

Many thanks for your help.
Brava_210
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
i had a twin,infact i still do although i have had problems recently-loosing all channels list etc
the twin still cannot be beat for ease of use , the toppy does come close..
with jags epg which gives 10 channel view and various taps to make it easier to use it is very reliable-the toppy DOES take a while to get used to,but you do after a while

RobbieC
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 111 Location: Maidstone, Kent
Nigel (nwhitfield) - whats the source of your info re engineering work? I too have lost EPG on Mux2. I tried calling the ITV duty office but they wouldn't pursue my query because, according to the Freeview website, my post code doesn't officially receive Freeview!

I'd be interested to know if there's a website listing engineering works. I've been without ITV1/2/3 & CH4 EPG for nearly a week now!
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Check the General Links section of the site - amongst other things you'll find the BBC reception information, which takes you here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/today.shtml#digital

BBC South East Multiplexes 1,B,C,D liable to shut down and reduced power
DOVER

13-16 May
0930-1630

BBC South East Multiplexes 1,B,C,D liable to shut down and reduced power
BLUEBELL HILL
17-19 May
1000-1600

That doesn't specifically mention Mux 2, which is the ITV/C4 one, but it's fairly likely that if there's widespread work going on, the effects will be quite widespread.

On the Digital Spy site, there's a sticky thread with a rough schedule for the engineering work relating to the ITV News Channel, which is on Mux 2.

Nigel.