Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrade Side-Effect or Not?

Page 1 of 1
jumbo
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
My firmware upgrade was a breeze thanks to the comprehensive set of instructions posted here.
Great job. Thank you to all contributors.

However, since my upgrade, I have noticed a drop in signal strength (sometimes significant) on some channels, e.g. C4 & ITV2. Could this be possible or is it purely a figment of my imagination?
toodeep
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 282
I'm having similar thoughts... Perhaps the Toppy is now using the second tuner more than it did before. Alternatived, having removed the antenna connection for the up-grade maybe I didn't remake it well enough.
jumbo
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
My upgrade did not involve any changes to my existing Toppy connections (including aerial). I simply performed (successfully) the upgrade procedure as per instructions and immediately noticed the deterioration in signal strength.
Since the upgrade, I have also performed an automatic re-tuning of all channels and am now experiencing a lot of "tweets, pops and crackles" where there were none before! It is unfortuantely making the Toppy rather limited in its use Crying or Very sad
My local transmitter is Hannington near Newbury. My previous signal strength was almost always 75-100% with quality of 100% for all channels.
I wonder if there's a definitive method of comparing "before" and "after", i.e. the "old" firmware.
odvdveer
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Netherlands
Strangely there are reports on other firmware that this can be caused by a to strong signal. Check the australian forum, a fin just posted something about this happening to him.

Olga

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Are you using the loop through cable?

If so these appear to be faulty, If I use the loop though from the inverto I get no problems.

You could make one up yourself.
jumbo
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I have:
    External aerial connected to Ant1 Input
    Ant1 Output is connected via a long(ish) cable (not the short one that came with the Toppy which broke on day 1) to Ant2 Input

Last edited by jumbo on Thu May 12, 2005 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
You could try a shorter cable this is what the inverto one is like, you would have to make one up yourself with sat cable.

I have also tried a longer loop through and it also gave me problems.
stumponhof
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I updated my firmware today (using the second update).
I too noticed a major drop in signal strength- from 69% to 44% - resulting in the loss of ITV and C4 (plus others). I put this down to the fiddling behind the toppy to get my USB cable in and my dodgy homemade aerial cable.
I tried to tighten the aerial connections and got it back to ~60% but i imagine i will have some rewiring to do over the weekend.
I can't imagine a firmware update would alter this property.
toodeep
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 282
In addition to the up-dating process seemingly diminishing my reception I've now also suffered my first missed recoding and 0Mb file in Current Event recoding mode...
Stormin
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
Strangely my BBC mux has dropped, while ITV/C4 mux has gone up.... coincidence?
RobbieC
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 111 Location: Maidstone, Kent
And maybe its a coincidence but I lost Now/Next & EPG data on MUX2 channels at around the time I did the upgrade - they still haven't come back. Crying or Very sad (although the signal strength / quality look the same to me)
jumbo
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I can now confirm that there can be a potential problem with the RF cables producing weak signals and the firmware upgrade seems to be a red herring! (in my case anyway)

Also my thanks to others who alluded to this problem earlier.

Here's my scientific proof: Wink

I have several cables at the back of my Toppy, e.g. SCARTs, power cables, ... not twisted or spaghetti-like, but close to each other as it is sometime unavoidable.

Idea I tried to seperate the main aerial cable (from wall to Toppy Ant1 In) and the cable from Ant1 Out to Ant2 In (which is a longish one) and pulled them both away from other cables and kept them as straight as possible, i.e. no loops, kinks or twists. Lo and behold after a few seconds delay signal strength and quality on all the "problem" channels jumped up! I think we all appreciate the existence of radio interference etc, but this was a bit too much Shocked

Moral of the story is that disturbing and/or quality of RF cables in weak signal reception areas could adversely affect Toppy's (and may be other STBs) reception. QED Razz
williams
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Apr 2005 Posts: 69
Hello RobbieC,

I lost my MUX2 EPG on Tuesday... But after resetting my toppy, I discovered that my Pace freeview box was also not able to receive EPG data from MUX2. It still cannot!