Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Freeview, TopUp and TV  ~  Lost the EPG on some of your channels?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9578
A recurrent problem experienced with many users is a failure of EPG information; this most commonly happens with ITV and Channel 4 channels. In fact, it's the information carried on Multiplex 2.

Due to the way the Toppy works, it only looks on the multiplex that you're tuned to for EPG data, and so it shows up this frequent Freeview failure more than other boxes, which can pick the information up from other multiplexes.

Topfield are working to address this behaviour in their box, but the broadcasters still need to up their game, and ensure that they maintain a proper broadcast of EPG data. They're obliged to maintain Now and Next information, rather than the full 7 day guide, but often fail to do that.

Past experience has shown that when this problem occurs, it can usually be fixed by the engineers - they just don't know that it's happened, because they don't bother to monitor the EPG broadcasts. Contacting the relevant broadcasters via email will start the ball rolling.

Those email addresses are below:

dutyoffice@itv.com
viewerenquiries@channel4.co.uk
digital@bbc.co.uk
customerservices@five.tv

The problem most often happens with Multplex 2, so you need to use the first two email addresses in that case.

Note that changing the firmware on your Toppy isn't going to fix this; the loss of data is down to the broadcasters, and if you've just changed a TAP, or upgraded your box, it's just coincidence. All you can do is sit and wait for the engineers to pull their fingers out and get things working again.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 May 2005 Posts: 166 Location: West Midlands
I would also email Ofcom at OCCbroadcast@ofcom.org.uk

They are the regulators and control the technical and programming standards. If they are made more aware of the frustrations of users they may be persuaded to put more pressure on the broadcasters.
Improbulus
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Dec 2005 Posts: 103 Location: London
Hi, is this the same problem?

First day trying the Toppy, and I found that for Channel 5 in the multi-channel view the EPG showed nothing at all.

When I switched to single channel view of Channel 5 in the EPG, and then back to multi-channel view, that fixed it.

It's happened 3 times today now.
malc
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
In general the toppy on gets the EPG for the channel it is on. In multi-channel view you might not have been on channel 5 so no EPG. Changing to chanel 5 fills the tables so when you change back tyou can see all the channels.

Jon Marshall
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 31 Location: Chesterfield Derbyshire
Anyone had problems with EPG for More4 channel.
Had great chunks of EPG missing all day today? Sad
Had to resort to manually setting timers Sad
Cheers Jon
fraussie
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Oct 2005 Posts: 26 Location: City of London
Same here - since Friday have had minimal EPG data on More4 (current and next program with no future details). On Sunday this droped to no information at all, showing only the More4 Preview from Saturday morning. This is still the case, and I have e-mailed channel 4 as per the notes above.

meadfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 257
And me! Haven't had any useful EPG on More4 & More4+1 since last week so have emailed both Channel4 and Ofcom this morning with what I had shown. Eg Sat 06:00 and a gap until sometime next Wed Shocked

They didn't even have a 'Now and Next' which I understood to be requirement of the licence.

( This also affected my iDTV and another digibox )

Rog

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
Andy K
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
CH4 are stepping upto the mark it appears ! Laughing

Today 17:30 is states "We appologise we are currently unable to display EIT p/f schedule "

and for the rest of the day it looks like they have manually entered the data as it's in block caps and brief data.

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
kothai.kanthan
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
I have barely any EPG data on all the main channels, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 - it has been like that for several days now - I'm in the London area.
GPa
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Me too ! My clock has lost an hour, will now email ofcom.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 243 Location: South London
No Mux 2 EPG data today from Crystal Palace, I have emailed ITV and Channel 4.

Taps (Manual):
Tap Commander v1.1: Recording Fixer v1.3: Test Patterns v1.0: Minimax Chess: Poker v1.1: Snake v1.3: Sudoku v1.3
Hud
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Jan 2006 Posts: 40
Emley Moor transmitter and, with the exception of BBC, hardly any EPG data over the last few days. Really annoying. I've emailed all concerned as suggested by Nigel

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Jan 2006 Posts: 45
I'm served by the Durris transmitter (NE Scotland).

I have only Now & Next EPG data for; ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, Channel4, More4, E4 which are all on MUX 2.
Strangely, on ITV4 I am receiving the full 7 day data!?

five and abc1 (MUX A) have only limited EPG data. Some info for today, nothing for Monday and some data for Tuesday.

Also, should I still be 'receiving' ITV News on CH81?
I thought BBC Parliament was moving to 81. Despite a re-scan, I still receive BBC P on CH85.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9578
To allow for channel moves, you may need to delete the old ITV news channel manually, and the old BBC Parliament entries, before rescanning.

You can see which channels are on which Mux by looking at the summary in the channel map http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/UKchannelmap.pdf

It's not comprehensive, and needs a tweak to add More4+1 and allow for the loss of ITV News.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Jan 2006 Posts: 40
For info. This is the response I got from Ofcom regarding an email I sent lack of EPG data:
"The broadcasters are required to transmit 'now and next' EPG information, but extended EPGs are provided on an entirely non-mandatory basis, so issues about the operation of the 8-day extended Freeview EPG for example should be addressed to the broadcasters in the first instance. If your receiver uses a third-party EPG (e.g. the 14-day EPG provided by 4TV, and used on Digifusion receivers for example), you should contact the EPG provider.

"While I'm not aware of any widespread now-and-next issues at the moment, I understand that there was a technical fault on Sunday 12 February, which resulted on disruption to much of the 'service information', including the Freeview EPG, which has now been resolved. If you're still experiencing problems with now-and-next, please let me know, and I'll look into the problem further."

I did send an email to ITV/Channel 4 and C5 but only got a reply from ITV saying that all was well (it wasn't)