Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Yet another first impression

Page 1 of 1
AnEngineer
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Several people seem to have posted their own first impressions of the Toppy and I saw no reason why I should not do the same, especially as I bought mine after reading their posts.

The Toppy arrived yesterday from unbeatable and the impression is so far excellent (from the whole family). I was worried that there might be disk noise, given some of the posts - but mine seems dead quiet. Up close, with TV sound muted, you can just about here the clicks of the read/write head moving in and out, but you only hear it if you listen for it from a normal viewing distance - and that's only with TV sound off.

So far, it has settled down, found all the channels, and made successful recordings. Recording from the EPG is a real plus.

OK, now the gripes:

1. As noted in other posts, the user interface for chase playback has not been thought through. It is really annoying that when the actual recording ends, so does the chase playback - even when it is five minutes behind real time Mad This must be a prime candidate for fixing in the next software release.

2. The '0' key on the remote changes the aspect ratio to letterbox, etc. even when the TV type is 16:9. That's just plain silly and annoying when you press it by mistake and then wonder why the picture looks wrong.

3. No capability to add TV on/off to the remote.

4. Recording times off the EPG need to have jitter added to them (must check TAPs as I think there is one to do this). Recorded HHGTHG last night (set using EPG) and lost the last two minutes due to previous programming overrun.

5. Changing Channels erases timeslip buffer. Why?

6. x6 is too slow for fast forward through the adverts.

7. "Sort" function for the Channel List documented in manual but does not appear in menu when red button pressed. Pity, this looks to be the most useful option.

However, these are all the kind of things (appart from the remote) that can be sorted out in a software update and I would expect them to be. So I am prepared to tolerate them for a while and would recommend the Toppy.

What really attracted me to the Toppy is its programmabilty. This seems to make it a unique product. Exploring the available TAPs and the TAP API is the next stage - and I already have a Linksys NSLU2 to get the thing on the network. Smile
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Welcome; I'm glad you're happy with your Toppy.

Timer Extend will automatically pad your times, and is available as part of the Program Manager package, from http://www.toppy.org.uk/download/info.php?tid=139

When it's tweaked for the UK, Jag's EPG also allows you to set timers from the EPG and have padding added automatically.

There's an AutoLetterbox TAP which restricts the options available when you press 0 to only those supported by your TV. I've not tried that one myself, but you can get more info from http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/info.php?tid=76

The lack of channel sorting is something you should only have to put up with for a week or so, I think...

Nigel.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
A note of caution if you do decide to run Timer Extend: The default configuration is likely to cause some of your timers to fail. See here for details of the settings required.
IanP
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
I find being able to quicky change apsect ratio handling a good thing. Although I mainly view my toppy on a widescreen TV, I also use it with a 4:3 set in my bedroom via a video sender. No other reciever I have come accross has any facility for using it with frequently varied aspect ratio TVs. Every time you change between watching on a widescreen and watching on a 4:3 you have to delve into the configuration menus on other STBs.
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
I agree the aspect change via the Toppy remote is a good thing, I also watch via a widescreen TV and when a programe is shown in 4.3, the toppy set to 16.9, will show the picture in 4.3 (IE black bars at each side) all I have to to is set it to 4.3 centre and the picture will show full screen,if this was done automaticly then you would not be watching the programe in it's original context.