Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  well its on order

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
IanP
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
It may be that most or all of the 0 length recordings are caused by signal problems on the input of the recording tuner. If that is the case then the Toppy isn't to blame as nothing can record a broadcast without a signal.

It is a fact of life that consumer equipment is becoming ever more complex as it goes digital. Digital equipment means software and software means bugs. Any one that isn't prepared to put up with some occasional bugs is going to find it difficult to watch/record TV after analogue is switched off.
Normsthename
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 118
Quote:
Norm, it does record video for 95% of people 99% of the time. Please don't blow this out of proportion any more than it already is.

There are lots of people like me, who do have problems with the bugs this box have, I don't think I am 'blowing it out of proportion' in asking a 300 box to record a TV program, it should record it 100 times out of 100, without any blank recordings, missing sound, failed recordings etc etc etc
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I see your point Norm.

What has happened numerous times on this forum, though, is that people have complained about problems and then the problem has in fact turned out to be a) bad signal reception, b) user error in setup or operation (kaytie), c) tap incompatability/behaviour quirk (Beancounter).

As I mentioned to Beancounter, we need to get an idea of how your Toppy is set up and then we can pinpoint what the cause of the problem is.

We're here to help, everybody just has to stay focussed and calm. Smile

So: do you have good reception? do you have your loop back antenna plugged in? do you have any taps installed?

matt
Normsthename
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi Matt

Sorry for having a rant, its just the 'mine works O.K' syndrome that bugs me!
I do have good reception, and also have a booster with two signals going into the Toppy.
I have not tried any TAPS yet........

All the bugs I have listed, I do know the workaround, except the blank recordings, I can never play them thru' the Toppy. I have to download them, convert them, and upload them back to the box, which is a pain. The no sound issue is a pain, but I can get them to play eventually, but it is another annoyance.
I hope these are fixed with the new firmware, it will be unbeatable if they get sorted.

Rant over Very Happy
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Hi Norm,

Well I think(?) we covered the "usual" problems so am at a loss as to what to try next?

What are your exact signal levels? Have you tried the play good recording then swap to black recording through archive listing work-around?

matt
Normsthename
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you tried the play good recording then swap to black recording through archive listing work-around?

I get 99% Signal and 74% quality, I cannot get the above workaround to work on the blank recordings I have had, but at least I can still watch them after converting them on the PC and uploading again.
I hope this bug is addressed in the new update, fingers crossed!
IanP
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
74% quality appears to be very low compared to most people. I assume these figures are when using your booster. The relatively high signal level compared to quality may sugest your booster is adding a lot of noise to the signal. What are the figures like without the booster?
RichardEast
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Like Matt I'm begining to wonder if a lot of the problems are due to the aerials in use. Digital signals are not the easiest to receive and a good aerial installation is imperative. I use a Triax 100 which feeds my existing STB along one length of FT100 cable without any joins or connections at all. It goes straight to the back of the box. If you must have a booster amplifier, make sure it is suitable for digital reception and that it is sighted close to the aerial. If it is in the lounge (or the room where the box is) i.e. end of the cable run it is going to amplify all the noise and interference as well as the signal. What is the point of having good equipment if it is fed from a poor aerial system?
Sorry, rant over. I used to answer these sort of questions at work!
I am a little concerned the second tuner on the Toppy is fed through another connector. Why isn't it wired internally?
Perhaps I had better go away and keep quiet! Laughing

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
I totally agree, I was going to suggest to Nigel that this should be in banner headlines at the top of the forum.
Many people purchasing a STB are told "yes you can recieve Freeview in you're area" but the aerial they have may be 10/20 years old, Freeview themselves say that aerial equipment may have to be upgraded, Iam lucky I live on a hill overlooking Glasgow and the reception has never been a problem, you can recieve a picture on an analoge TV without an aerial!
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I suppose, in a way, using any twin tuner PVR could compound issues with poor signal, since there's always going to be some loss as the signal passes from one to another. And that can then feed back to people saying "I'm getting problems I didn't have with my old box, the Toppy must be rubbish"

Nigel.
Normsthename
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
74% quality appears to be very low compared to most people. I assume these figures are when using your booster. The relatively high signal level compared to quality may sugest your booster is adding a lot of noise to the signal. What are the figures like without the booster?

I have had freeview for 10 months, and never had any problems with low signals whatsoever, the previous PVR I had performed flawlessly on this signal. I have a brand new Freeview Wide Band aerial.
The signal was not boosted at all with the Booster. Only reason I added it was to get rid of the aerial linking cable, and having good signals into both tuners.
These problems I have had are just firmware glitches, that I am 100% sure will be fixed with the eagerly awaited firmware update.
IanP
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
If your signal quality reading is only 74% you do not have good signals on both tuners as for as your toppy is concerned. In the How Sensitice is it thread you wrote
Quote:
I also live in an area that cannot get freeview....... but I can.
I get 78 channels in total (51 TV and the rest radio.
Channel 5 is the worst signal where I am, and I initially had very bad breakup etc, so as advised I got a signal booster, and it is fine now. On Channel 5 I get 99% Quality and 70% Signal, this is the worst, on the better channels I get 75% signal.

Hope this helps.

Andy

It appears you have got your level/quality readings mxed up somewhere. If the post I quoted is correct then your signals do seem OKish (about the same as mine).
Normsthename
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If your signal quality reading is only 74% you do not have good signals on both tuners as for as your toppy is concerned. In the How Sensitice is it thread you wrote

Sorry, just checked again, 76-78% Level, 99% Quality .......... Embarassed
Wrong way around......