Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Live TV pause

Page 1 of 1
kaytie
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I just did a live pause when I received a (long two hour) phone call. I came back to discover that only an hour is in the pause buffer. Fine. An hour should be enough for most purposes.

But why did it keep the most recent hour rather than the first hour? This behaviour is dumb: in most cases what comes most recently you aren't interested in, but you are interested in the TV stream at the point of pause (otherwise you wouldn't have hit pause!).

Is there some way I can change this behaviour?

K.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
The timeshift buffer is 1 hour long, and it can?t be changed. After 1 hour the buffer loops round and starts overwriting the beginning, so you only get the last 1 hour of TV recorded.

If you want to pause live TV for longer than the timeshift buffer will allow, you must start a recording; hit RECORD, then PAUSE. This will give you a 2 hour record duration. If you want longer, bring up the record menu and alter the record duration.

There is a quick start guide ? it refers to the TF5000PVRt, which is slightly different to our model ? the differences are discussed in this thread http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46
kaytie
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. It's just another example of poor thinking on the part of the engineers: why would you ever want to overwrite the beginning in live pause? It just doesn't make sense. You hit pause because you've been disturbed, then you want to come back and watch the rest of the programme later, only to find that it's been erased and you now have to watch Countdown.

Since the time slip buffer is an hour long, I can watch the most recent hour any time I like. So I can get the pause functionality already by not even bothering to press pause. So why even have the live pause button?

Boy I wish I'd been there with a cricket bat when the engineers decided to do live pause like this.

K.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
kaytie, how do other PVRs do it?

matt
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
I use the Pause live TV if I need to make a cup of tea or go to the toilet I would imagine that's what it's designed for, if Iam away for over an hour I think it would be better just hitting the record button.
sneeks
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
The Toppy method is identical to how Sky+ operated while I worked for Sky. As far as i know most of the pvr's function in this way if you do not press record and choose to pause instead.
Pete
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:40 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 25
The problem is one of finite disk space. If you want an indefinite pause then you have to have a indefinite amount of disk space. As the disk space is finite you have to have a finite buffer. In theory the buffer could be the whole disk, but if you pressed pause (maybe accidentally) and then went off for a couple of days it would trash every recording on the disk. The time taken to lose your first recording would depend on how full the disk is already, so quite sensibly Topfield has set a limit of 1 hour. I presume that they thought (and people will have told them) that 1 hour is sufficient. The only oversight in my opinion is leaving out an option to set it to whatever the user wants.

However, you might discover (as I have after having a Tivo for a couple of years) that you very rarely watch live TV because there's always something recorded to watch, so I don't even need a live pause.