Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Editing a recording?

Page 1 of 1
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Can anybody give me a way to remember what the cryptic dialog you get on editing a region actually means?

Every time I see it I have to reach for the manual, take a few minutes to think and then end up pressign a random button.

Quote:
Save? Cut? Cancel?

What?

matt
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Try this analogy?Imagine the programme as a piece of film, and you are doing some editing. You pick out a scene you want to edit. Get out the scissors, snip, snip at either end of the scene. Now you have 2 choices ? either throw your cut scene in the bin, or save it for later.

Cut = throw away the scene.
Save = save the scene as a new file ? appears in the file list as xxxx(CUT)-1
Sulli
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
One thing I didn't realise until doing it by accident is when you choose ?save? on a selected area it actually cuts it out of the original file and saves it. At first I though it just copied that section and left the original file alone.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Thanks folks

Nigel, have you offered to rewrite the manual for Topfield/TurboSat?

matt
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
That idea ran through my head, that maybe one of you more literate people (not me) could make some extra cash and produce a decent manual for Topfield,and the benifit of future Toppy owners
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I'd love to do it, but with the amount of work I have on at the moment, I'm struggling to keep up with things (including sleep!).

Maybe in a couple of weeks, when things have calmed down, and the new firmware is out, I might look at doing something online. Simple though they can be, decent user guides can be very time consuming to write, since you have to make sure you really do test everything as you go along. I've done it before - the Official AOL UK Handbook, in 2000. 150,000 words in about 7 weeks. Knackering, but paid for a fabulous new kitchen.

NIgel.
Sulli
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
Has anyone tried to cut over 5 minutes of recording from a file? I cant seem to cut over that length of recording. I have to do it in a couple of smaller cuts instead.
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
Thing is Nigel that if Topfield/Turbosat want their product sold through national outlets such as Comet/Dixsons etc, they will HAVE TO replace the manual, imagine an ordinary Joe/Jane taking home their new Toppy and trying to deal with the present manual, machines would be returned in droves, it's early days for the Toppy in the UK, there's plenty of time for you to get in there.
IanP
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
Is the Australian manual as bad as ours? I've only seen the TF5000PVRt (except Australia) user manual (English) and our TF5800PVR version. If it is as bad I'm supprised Topfield Australia haven't done something about it by now.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
If I have time I'll look at it; perhaps I can send people a download link as a response to a premium rate text message Wink

Nigel.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
I think I?ve seen your ads on eBay Wink

Re: Oz manual: It?s identical to the worldwide release, bar the safety warnings, and possibly a couple of other paragraphs.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
And the Toppy's done well in Australia, yes?

matt