Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Cutting merged recordings

Page 1 of 1
Laser
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 444
I have a large number of MyStuff merged recordings where I want to keep one part and delete the other part(s) to regain some disk space. When deleting parts of merged recordings in MyStuff it modifies its database to hide them but does not change the recorded file.

What would you suggest is the easiest way to chop/cut/edit/delete the parts of the files I no longer want? I don't really care whether MyStuff thinks those parts still exist, I am primarily interested in regaining the disk space by reducing the size of the files.

Many years ago I recall using something to manually create cut points on the play bar, but I always struggled to work out which parts were kept vs deleted. Embarassed Is there an easier way?

ccs
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2671
Best I can come up with is

https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157313#157313

The link to cutfile still works, which surprises me.

ccsx
Laser
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, thanks, that looks ideal. Cool

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
You might want to check, using Antares and not the Archive mechanism, that it really makes the recording files smaller!.

From what I remember, CutsAds copies the cut portions into another file (same file name but with a .ads extension) and rewrites the affected part in the original recordings with null packets. When played, the playback mechanism rapidly skips through these null packets to skip adverts. The .ads file can be used to restore the original recording (using the JoinAds tap).

Assuming I am right, you end up using more space (the original recording with embedded null packets and a separate .ads file).

Now it could be that CutAds does something different if you cut the tail of the file but I don't think so.

If you are really that pushed for space, you might have to transfer them to a windows pc and edit them using VLC (this rewrites the output file). If you are retaining the first of merged recordings then this should work ok. If you are trying to separate out a subsequent program then you may have to worry about the entries in MyStuffRecordedInfo.dat. I'm not saying it can't be done but it is not necessarily easy.

Another alternative is that you use the Cutfile tap (see forum thread).
This sounds as though it is creating separate files rather than just overwriting with null packets. However, it also talks about using mei2archive.tap and I've no experience of this.

An easier and much quicker solution, although at a cost, is to fit a larger disk drive and copy the merged recordings to the new drive. Large disks are pretty cheap nowadays and andyfras can advise/provide suitable controller cards (the toppy is picky about which cards/disks it will work with).
[edit]One disadvantage of this method is that you really ought to be connecting the toppy disk directly to the pc so that files can be transferred at IDE data rates (probably 10 times faster than using Antares and eliminates the issue of transfers timing out when the screen saver/power saving kicks in). If you can't connect the disk directly to the pc then you can buy a IDE/SATA Adapter for £10 ish. [/edit]

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
ccs
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2671
Geoff Bacon wrote:

Another alternative is that you use the Cutfile tap (see forum thread).

Could have sworn I mentioned that 3 days ago.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
Sorry, I thought you were talking about CutAds.

I still think a bigger disk would be easier and quicker f there are a lot of files that need cutting.

Goff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Laser
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
An easier and much quicker solution, although at a cost, is to fit a larger disk drive and copy the merged recordings to the new drive.

I have already replaced the original disk with a larger one and the copy process, even using a USB-to-SATA/IDE adapter, was many hours. Not to mention the software to read the Toppy file system was barely able to function on Windows 10.

No, the real problem is that I set a series record which merged into another series record. I would like to to keep the first to re-watch in future, but later found I didn't like the second programme. I should have previewed both before letting it record every day! Rolling Eyes So I have about 100 episodes that are twice as large as they need to be. This is not a disaster, but the disk is getting full and I'd like to save space if possible, hence reaching out for advice.

If CutFile doesn't work or is too painful I'll just delete episodes as I watch them and re-record them from repeats that will almost inevitably occur at some point.