Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Anybody still using a Toppy as their main viewing platform?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
js5800
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Jan 2009 Posts: 138
widget wrote:

Like bugbear the Toppy has become unresponsive to the RC this week but I can't work out if it is the remote or the box. A very intermittent niggling problem, not solved by new batteries. I may need to dismantle the remote and clean the button contacts.

Look at the IR blaster on the remote through a digital camera (phone camera will do). You will see if the remote is responding to key presses without dismantling it.

widget
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Dec 2006 Posts: 100
js5800 wrote:
widget wrote:

Like bugbear the Toppy has become unresponsive to the RC this week but I can't work out if it is the remote or the box. A very intermittent niggling problem, not solved by new batteries. I may need to dismantle the remote and clean the button contacts.

Look at the IR blaster on the remote through a digital camera (phone camera will do). You will see if the remote is responding to key presses without dismantling it.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already done that. It would appear that sometimes the remote is just plain 'slow to respond' to button presses - hence my thought about dismantling it and cleaning the contacts. Some days it is 'zippy', others 'lethargic'. A bit like me Laughing

andyfras
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3476
It's more likely to be a faulty IR receiver on the Toppy front panel.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
CharlieBoy
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Mar 2006 Posts: 138
Two Toppies still in daily use for both watching and recording. A spare in the loft.

?
alan_m
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
widget wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already done that. It would appear that sometimes the remote is just plain 'slow to respond' to button presses - hence my thought about dismantling it and cleaning the contacts. Some days it is 'zippy', others 'lethargic'. A bit like me Laughing

When did you last turn your toppy off at the mains (after first putting it into standby)? Leave it without power for a few minutes. The Toppy was known to get sluggish, say, if interactive services (red button) were used and a cold boot via removing mains would be a cure for this sluggishness.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
widget wrote:
js5800 wrote:
widget wrote:

Probably not helpful but I had to buy a new remote some time ago when the Toppy was my primary HDR. Now often use Sony TV or Manhattan, but Toppy is good if I want to keep and edit stuff and keep in separate folders.