Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 832
https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=847

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
C Nile
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 May 2009 Posts: 55
Left the Toppy alone for a while, the aerial man is due tomorrow, and today I noticed the F & F onscreen upon power up, the plug has been in for the last 8 days, so wondered why.
Decide to do a scan using TM, and the finalise button just causes a hang up at the point where it starts to process EPG2.mei.ini and even though I waited up to 10 minutes, noi change.
Trying to exit causes a message saying it is not safe to exit, but if I do I will need to update fales after a reboot. No chance after a reboot the same screen starts up again and hangs at the same point.
Toppy appears to work fine with my stuff guide ok

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4533
Why on earth are you doing rescans when your signal is so bad?

I've no idea why it would hang processing EPG2MEI.ini (unless it is corrupted)

I'm assuming that, when you connect with TM, it immediately puts you back in the channel management screen. This is because it detected that it didn't manage to complete the previous scan tasks.

I know I've posted about how to clear this before but I can't find it. Basically, you need to look for a file on your toppy that has the name toppy_RecoveryPoint.txt (replace the toppy with the name you gave to your toppy connection).
Once found, delete this file.

There is another way to remove this lock condition but, not being able to find my post, I can't remember what it is.

To find the file, use windows explorer and perform a search for the filename on the C drive (I can't tell you what directory it is in because this is dependent on your windows operating system)

If you can't find the file then I suggest you power off the toppy (in case you have AutoConnect set in the Connection menu) and do a Connection| Settings to create a new connection name. Having created a new connection, use the Settings option again to delete the previous connection record.

If EPG2mei.ini is corrupted, you will need to restore it with a valid version.
To check the file, Connection| Browse, select the Settings folder and see what size it says the file is. If it is not negative or huge then, click the file to display it.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
C Nile
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
So finally yesterday a man who can came, and when he plugged his box of tricks into my co-ax socket, he said I definitely had problems.
So he got on my roof and plugged directly int the aerial and pronounced it fine. He said the readings he got were exactly what he expected, so he then replaced the total run of co-ax cable from rooftop to back of TV. He found that the co-ax socket was broken inside so went directly to the set with the new cable.
All the channels I had trouble viewing were fine ( although the signal strength was unknown for now )
This morning I put the toppy back into service after setting it up with a reformatted 160Gb hard drive and installing GCB's mystuff installer on a previous occasion. The epg came back into life and it all looked fine.
I tried the rogue channels once again on the toppy and all was well.
Within an hour the native toppy menu was all I could get on screen, and the previously visible file list was once again greyed out, even though it was working fine.
People I am lost for words. If the toppy tuners will cause this to happen with a stronger signal, but still not strong enough, then I am done.I don't know where to go now apart from binning it and going to Humax. Even if some one wanted to sell me a refurbished toppy I would still be at a loss to know if it would last the distance.
I have had no tuner problems over the years I have had it, and all the latest problems have ocurred in the last 2 months

ccs
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2645
.... your signature looks odd, also you're missing the PruneEPG tap.

Maybe post you myinfo.log file.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
and post your new signals

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
C Nile
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 am Reply with quote
Sorry folks but this AM turned it on and only the native menu available, and even connecting my wifes laptop and opening Top Manager did not allow connection to the toppy. All 3 tries to connect failed repeatedly so no chance of myinfo log or signal strengths obtainable.
I am suspecting the toppy of being on its way out, because this morning the channels that were faulty before re-cabling have gone just as bad as before, although they appeared fine after he had changed the co-ax, and for the rest of that day, I kept switching stations every hour or so to check.
It could I suppose still be the aerial, but his signal meter gave readings he was expexting after doing the cable, so as I said previously maybe the toppy needs more strength and quality than other devices.

C Nile
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
Excuse my lack of a brain, but just decided to leave the toppy out of my daisy chain of devices aerial wise.
At present the aerial goes direct to the toppy then out into a Samsung DVD recorder before going to the telly from there, so after putting the aerial feed straight to the Samsung instead, the rogue channels appear fine through to TV.
Next question is has anyone ever had tuner problems with a toppy, and if so is it possible to replace one or both. I suppose it could even be the co-ax connections at the rear, because mine have really had some handling of late.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
The native menu typically means that the toppy can't detect/use the hard disk.

Can you see any recordings when you press Archive?
If not, then the toppy can't see the disk.
This implies the disk has failed or the power supplies are failing and can't drive it.
As you have a poor signal as well, I suspect the disk is probably ok and that the problem is due to failing capacitors.
Suggest contact andyfras for a repair and/or device.

Also, your signature shows a lot of patches - this implies that your MS install is not standard. I suggest you run my GCBMyStuffInstaller to refresh your system.
As this is unrelated to the problem that you currently have, don't try fixing it before you have your resolved the psu issues.

Geoff

C Nile
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
Sorry Geoff but am totally unable to connect to the toppy using my wife's laptop, all 3 attempts to connect thro USB just fail and I am asked if the toppy is connected and turned on, which it is.
My last post also pointed out the supposedly rogue signals were fine if I just took the toppy unit as a whole out of the daisy chain of devices, so this implies the signal is good enough for the other devices to "see" but the toppy tuners cant. Its really odd if the picture works fine with no break-up just by going direct to the Samsung from the aerial and then to TV
Pressing archive does not work possibly due to the disk not working correctly, and the time shift option in settings is also greyed out due to the same "no disk-cant pause "
Contacted Andy via e-mail and he told me where to test for voltages coming off the P/S board and when I advised him of the values I had, he said they were fine.
Am unable to re-submit my signature due to the con connection of Top Manager

ccs
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I see you've managed to update your signature today?

ccsx
C Nile
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes, due to connecting the topsy to my PC instead of laptop, is it as expected

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Is your disk working again - although the laptop can't connect, you have updated the signature today.

Unfortunately, as the signature was manually entered (it is malformed) I can't take as gospel what it contains (if you had used the TM Tools| Update Forum Profile option then I would know it was accurate and also that the disk is working).

The brackets around MyStuff in your signature indicate that MyStuff is not running - which is why you have the native screens - assuming the disk is working.

I suspect the reason the laptop can't access the toppy is because the drivers need to (re)loaded - a recent Win10 update means that a previously loaded driver will not work. See "Install Toppy Driver" on my GeeCeeBee website. Alternatively, if the disk is not working then TM won't be able to connect anyway.

So
1) Try reloading the WinUSB driver on laptop
2) Use TM to update the forum signature (if you can do this it tells me that the disk is working).
3) Run the fsCheck tap in \Utilities and use the TM Display option to display/paste the output in the fsCheck Reports thread (not this one please).

Geoff

ccs
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think he's now saying he can connect to the toppy, most confusing.

ccsx
C Nile
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
Yes the disk is working again, and so it appears is mystuff, even though you say my signature from TM is enterred manually, I can assure you it isn't, I wouldn't know how to.
The toppy now starts with V F & F every time I power it up, ( not needing to unplug and re-plug in ) and the roundels for "L" and "S" appear on screen within 10 seconds of this being completed and the EPG is fully populated when activated, so even though you think mystuff is not running, it apears tp be.
The signature was built in the usual way within TM, using build etc, but I noticed the signature appeared to have lines thro each tap prior to sending, and appears in bold type on the site.
Will re-try the MY Stuff installation, with its approx 400 lines of code again this AM, using the wifes laptop and once again update my signature

J B