Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Anybody still using a Toppy as their main viewing platform?

Page 1 of 1
foomanchu
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I might be the only one... but I can't let go just yet!

My Toppy recently got plugged into a new LG HDR Smart TV via Scart YUV which the TV supports and give a nice (if not super detailed) picture with natural colours. Yamaha digital amp does the audio.

I still record and watch most TV the Toppy in preference over using iPlayer and ITVHub. It's easier and quicker to use the Toppy, stuff I might watch gets filed away without worrying it's going to expire, ready for me to watch when I want, and no ads!

Of course the Toppy would be nothing without MyStuff for which I'm grateful.

It's all going to come to an end I know. Our spare room telly isn't even plugged into an aerial - it's used Smart TV only - I've not owned a DVD player for years, or Video for decades, I'll just rent and stream a movie if needed. I'm not a fan of ongoing subscriptions (other than the licence fee).

Crashes are becoming a little more frequent (I did do the caps in 2015) and occasionally it seems to struggle - I noticed MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat gets really big sometimes and deleting it helps - but I know the writing is on the wall.

Anyway I just wanted to show my appreciation while it's still in use, thanks everybody!
jimi
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 228
Cool My TV default source is the Toppy, it has been since I bought it in 2006. Tried a Youview box earlier this year but couldn't get along with it, missed the versatility and sophistication of My Stuff.. Since I did all the caps, fitted a fan and replaced my u/s aerial downlead it's been trouble free, not that it was particularly troublesome before. I suspect that the only thing that will stop me using it will be lack of SD channels. Dreading that day Crying or Very sad

mp_york
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Jul 2007 Posts: 34
We still use the Toppy's as the main TV recording devices and so does my mum and the wife's parents (on my recommendation). They all run MyStuff and have had the caps done. They will keep being used while they work and SD is available. We do have a Panasonic HD recorder, but it's rarely used, slow and unintuitive UI.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3997 Location: Buckingham
I have moved on with the more universal adoption of HD and beyond and the increasing use of online services. At the moment my main device is a BT Youview box (prime reason being to watch MotoGP) supplemented by a Digitalstream Freeview PVR and a Humax Foxsat PVR and also a Chromecast dongle controlled from my Android tablet for those online services the Youview box does not support such as Youtube and LUTV.

Yes, it is a step back to the dark ages as far as the UI goes but I have learnt to live with it especially when using a Harmony universal remote to rule them all.

andyfras
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3471
Our Toppy is used for all the day-to-day recordings, but I use a Foxsat HDR for HD recordings (I had a newer Humax but it 'lost' its disk, as several seem to do).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 832
I'm with andyfras. I use the Toppy for controlling most of what I watch, but I'll use the YouView box to record HD versions of programmes if available. Or in the case of Quest HD, because everything on Channel 33 is all but unwatchable.

I have started using the YouView box more as it now shows you what you've been watching on catch-up. So I often go there now to watch the latest episodes of recurring shows

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
munk
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 May 2006 Posts: 66
I still use the Toppy as my main recording facility. I've been meaning to switch to one of the newer OpenVix PVRs for years now but the toppy just carries on doing such a great job (with MyStuff of course) that I just keep putting it off continuously.

We got a newer Panasonic 4k / UHD TV (CX400) a few years back and I was a bit worried that the Toppy wouldn't work so well with that, but in the end it was fine (more than fine even!) and I find it hard to make much of a distinction between the Toppy's SD output and the 1080p HD content on the TV. I mainly use the Toppy to watch everything now via the cx400, unless it's something in UHD which is transmitted over IP (very very rarely and almost more of a novelty, even UHD content doesn't blow me away that much compared to the standard SD, I think the last thing I watched in UHD was Wimbledon a couple of years back). Maybe my eyes need testing heh.

The one main bug bear I have with the toppy is not being able to watch something that I'm recording downstairs on a device (a PC basically) upstairs in 'chase' mode, usually some film or other on Film4 that starts late at night when I want to go up to bed and watch it there. That is the one thing that makes me want to move to OpenVix.... but the Toppy is so great though I don't know if it justifies the move.

If anyone knows of an online platform that allows you to watch live Film4 (and C5 occasionally) then that would be great. For a while tvcatchup.com (I think?) used to have it but they (unsurprisingly) ran into issues re legality/licensing/regulation etc I believe so cut the channels back to just the main ones (I think they might have stopped completely now). Then for a while there was Filmon that allowed it, but they've started charging in the last few years. I know there's one place where you can essentially 'view' the filmon stream for 'free' via a 3rd party site but it involves a crazy workaround involving refreshing the stream every minute or so to 'bypass' the 'limited' service they have (you get to watch 1 minute for free I think before they flash up a 'subscribe now' popup). Not really workable.

Such a shame there isn't the same option to watch Film4 live online as there is with the BBC channels.

I've done / have the gamut of other viewing options, I used Plex for quite a while to stream downloaded content although nowadays I usually just stump for a month's subscription to whatever streaming platform if there's something I really want to watch - latest example was the last series of Better Call Saul which is definitely worth a month's subscription fee to watch!

For a while I played with the HDHomeRun networked PVR system via Plex but wasn't overly impressed with that. Seemed to reliant on a rock solid 100% quality aerial which just wasn't viable for me after splitting the single aerial feed in two to try and accommodate it.

Through it all though the Toppy has been my mainstay for recording / watching the usual Freeview TV stuff.

MikB
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 290 Location: West Midlands
@foomanchu you're certainly not the only one Smile

Almost all viewing here is done by timeshifting via Topfield, with programmes/part programmes I want to keep being shoved off to a connected PC.

The Topfield also acts as a DVB-T receiver for a (UHF connected) old 4:3 portable telly, and also feeds an analogue colour/composite signal to a connected PC so I can watch TV in a window while at the PC.

It all works really well, no incentive to replace it with anything (likely options would be something based round Raspberry PI + USB tuners, or an Enigma box).

The destruction of Freeview by shifting it all to T2 would be a limiting factor, as would a non-repairable hardware failure.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
anthony2l
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2011 Posts: 264
Toppy still in heavy use for recordings. Rarely watch direct since I've put a USB HD onto the TV which allows pause/timeshift. But sister with her TF5800 is on the Toppy for everything as she can't be bothered to deal with two sets of remotes.

Not looking forward to doomsday Crying or Very sad

Waltham Tx
Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA[/size]™
CDSRavenHill
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Aug 2007 Posts: 33
Been a few months since I last had them powered up. Not much new on during the shutdown in productions.

I backed up the recordings to a NAS and watch from there, if it isn't already available on the much expanded BBC iPlayer and other streaming services.

CAM (CDSRavenHill)

PVR: A Brace of TF5800PVRt - 250GB Black Panthers FW: 5.13.65 NITFix + IMTsUUuZ