Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Remote unresponsive after inactivity

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 788
My Toppy has stopped responding to remote keypresses when it's been left for a couple of hours. There is no light on the front panel when it doesn't respond. I've tried pointing the remote at the camera on my phone and nothing shows up when a key is pressed. But nothing shows up when my other remotes are pointed at it and pressed either. After working intermittently for a while, it then starts responding to key strokes as usual (i.e. still intermittently, but much less so Rolling Eyes)

I'm wondering if it's likely to be a problem with the remote or with the IR receiver on the front panel. I have a universal remote, but haven't used it for a while and it's proving difficult to charge Rolling Eyes

I've changed the batteries in the remote. The caps were replaced by andyfras as per my sig

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
alan_m
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
My Toppy has stopped responding to remote keypresses when it's been left for a couple of hours. There is no light on the front panel when it doesn't respond. I've tried pointing the remote at the camera on my phone and nothing shows up when a key is pressed. But nothing shows up when my other remotes are pointed at it and pressed either. After working intermittently for a while, it then starts responding to key strokes as usual (i.e. still intermittently, but much less so Rolling Eyes)

Some phones are starting using an IR blocking filter on the camears, expecially Iphones. It may only be the back camera that has the filter and not the camera on the screen side of the phone. Try both cameras and/or another brand of phone.

Quote:

I'm wondering if it's likely to be a problem with the remote or with the IR receiver on the front panel. I have a universal remote, but haven't used it for a while and it's proving difficult to charge Rolling Eyes

I've changed the batteries in the remote. The caps were replaced by andyfras as per my sig

The IR receiver has been known to fail.
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults

It is not unknow for the membane in the remote to become contaminate with crud (grease from fingers etc.) There are threads in these forums about opening the remote and cleaning it. I have in the past opened up the remote, washed the component parts under a cold running tap, throughly dried them and re-assembled

Have you tried powering off your Toppy at the mains for a couple of minutes? Does the remote work better afterwards? Interactive services (red button) permanently enabled is known to make the Toppy sluggish both in operation and for remote control commands. The sluggishness gets progressively worse with time - hence turning off at the mains to give te box a new cold boot. There is a TAP that enables red buutton services whe required and turns them off when not being used.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:48 am Reply with quote
Mine's an iPhone: I'll try with the selfie camera.

I've seen the thread on cleaning them, but I didn't want to try taking it apart if it's more likely to be the Toppy. I run with MHEG off, so it's unlikely to be that. My universal remote is still struggling to hold a charge, but it might last long enough to see if the Toppy responds to that when it's not responding to the original remote. I've just thought that I do have a couple of spare Toppies, so could try their remotes to see. The one I'm using hasn't lost the button icons unlike the others, so I'd rather keep this one if possible. If it turns out to be the Toppy, I can transfer the disk over, though I'd need to change the SATA and fan adaptors as well as the top cover to keep the fan.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
So I tried your suggestion of using the selfie camera and it worked. I can see that the remote is firing but the Toppy becomes unresponsive soon after starting to use it. It starts fine for the first several presses and then starts working intermittently for a while before returning to normal after several minutes. So I guess it's the box rather than the remote. My original Toppy is still in pieces after its last repair Embarassed, so I'll attempt to resurrect that box and transfer the disk and fan over.

Thanks for your suggestions. Fingers crossed that the original one still works Wink

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
You need to establish whether the problem is with the remote or the box.
Connect up one of your other toppies on a temporary basis and see if the remote works with it. More importantly, check that one of the other remotes is works as you expect.

Assuming both work, reinstate your normal configuration. When it next exhibits the problem, see if your second remote also has the same problem. f it does, then I would expect the issue to be with the box (probably the IR receiver). If the second remote works then it is likely to be the remote.

Experiment until you know which is the problem component.

Geoff
PS: I know you said you changed the remote batteries but might be worth trying another set (just in case one is flakey)

[edit]Just seen the later post which implies it is the toppy[/edit]

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18