Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What to buy after a Toppy

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
alan_m
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
cuthbert wrote:
We all know that with 2 tuners, you can record 2 channels and watch a third, if doing so involves at most 2 multiplexes.

From a video about an Enigma2/openVix box from 5 years ago
https://youtu.be/DMUwpe2IO0c?t=1394

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 121 Location: Essendon, Herts.
jimi wrote:
Let us know how you get on with the Zgemma

So far impressive! Unfortunately my unit is faulty - nothing on the second tuner so I need to get it replaced.

It arrived with OpenATV, I flashed OpenVix to another slot - up to four images can be independently booted from. OpenVix has a skin very much like Sky Plus. The box is very speedy. The remote needs pointing fairly directly placement needs consideration. Many plugins which can be likened to taps, some loaded with the image but easy to install more through the menu. I can see support for some USB tuners, wifi devices, channel icons similar to the toppy and an IPTVPlayer that works with YouTube, LiveLeak and had icons for the UK broadcast services but couldn't get them to work. May just need more of a play. The option to download the on demand locally.

Only Now and next EPG only you enable a plug-in - EPGRefresh takes it over satellite for Freesat and/or Sky. EPG-Importer via the internet. These are on a timed schedule download, only now/next update on the fly.

An automatic Bouquet scans, numbers and categorises channels by genre, this can also be timed to run each day. I'm not sure that the box automatcaily scans for new channels so not sure how useful this is as nothing should really change. I have used the Sky EPG and bouquets since this adds some channels over Freesat but you have to wade through some subscription channels although the Bouquet manager plugin lets you exclude categories which dispenses with most of them (sport, movies etc).

An auto timer facility appears to emulate Toppy text search. It matches title, times and/or channel or not at all. Not sure if/how duplicate checking works on that if at all. There is an option to grab an alternative showing.

Recordings can use trash can functionality with automatic deletes and easily accessed/downlaoded through the network share or web gui and apparently exported to one of the three USB's (all of which are unfortunately on the rear). There is one USB3 socket which I have a hard drive plugged in to but it comes with cables to put a 2.5" SATA internally.

I've an old Sky card that decodes the regional channels and a software plug-in lets the in built card slot work to decode these FTV channels.

As I am in single tuner mode, I can see like the Toppy when you are recording one thing, you can swap to another channels on the same mux without interrupting the recording.

There's also a great web interface you can very easily access the EPG, add timers, control it, watch and/or download recordings.

Hopefully I will get to have a better play when I have a fully working unit.

It is infinitely configurable and I like it, at £111 it's a bargain too.

alan_m
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:

So far impressive! Unfortunately my unit is faulty - nothing on the second tuner so I need to get it replaced.

In my experience WOS have good after sales service. Just phone them up and get a return code. They may only operate Mon to Fri.

Quote:

It arrived with OpenATV, I flashed OpenVix to another slot - up to four images can be independently booted from. OpenVix has a skin very much like Sky Plus.

Many third party skins but I recommend sticking with the default until you get fully used to the box.

Quote:

Only Now and next EPG only you enable a plug-in - EPGRefresh takes it over satellite for Freesat and/or Sky. EPG-Importer via the internet. These are on a timed schedule download, only now/next update on the fly.

Use autobouquet maker to select/scan Freeview/Freesat channels

In openvix
menu -> setup -> EPG -> Settings -> Enabale EIT EPG = yes, Enable Freesat EPG = yes.
This shoud get you the over the air 7 day EPG without using the EPG Importer (which can be disabled in the menu). I get 7 day EPG on both Freesat and Freeview using these two settings.

EPG Refresh only changes channels. For instance: The over the air EPG is only fetched when tuned into a channel on Freeview/Freesat so if you normally only watch Sateliite you may seldom tune into a Freeview channel. EPG Refresh will automatically tune into a Freeview channel in the background so that the over the air EPG can be fetched or refreshed at a period of your choice.

Quote:

An automatic Bouquet scans, numbers and categorises channels by genre,

Or you can combine all genres

Quote:

. I have used the Sky EPG and bouquets since this adds some channels over Freesat but you have to wade through some subscription channels although the Bouquet manager plugin lets you exclude categories which dispenses with most of them (sport, movies etc).

There is a boquet editor in the web interface which you may find helpful to re-order or delete channels. I recommend creating your own favourite bouquet. You may also want to configure your router to allocate the same IP to your box every time it switches on or you reboot your router.

Quote:

An auto timer facility appears to emulate Toppy text search. It matches title, times and/or channel or not at all. Not sure if/how duplicate checking works on that if at all. There is an option to grab an alternative showing.

Duplicates are excluded if you make the "require description to be unique" = any service /recording. also "check for uniqueness in" = title and short description (there are other other options for these two menu settings)

You may want to set-up a default for autotimers
menu -> Timers -> Autotimers -> menu -> Edit new timer defults

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply, Have been nights so this the first opportunity to play. I have just raised a support ticket with WOS so hopefully can get it swapped soon. (Update, already have a return post label and local drop off).

The Sky skin of OpenVix looks great, the clean look of OpenATV too. Not sure which to stick with! My old Enigma 1 box shares similarities but the Zgemma/E2 takes it to a new level.

Thank also for the tips on EPG. Freesat EPG (predictably!) doesn't have FSFS (Freesat from Sky) channels. I need to check which are exclusive to each platform and if then are the sort of thing I would watch before deciding on the EPG to take.

Ahh I see AutoBouquetsMaker does a new channel scan - it's name suggested it took the all channel list and categorised them but that is a good positive.

All very neat! Be gutted to be without it while it's gone! Dusted off the Enigma 1 box for now!

alan_m
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:
I need to check which are exclusive to each platform and if then are the sort of thing I would watch before deciding on the EPG to take.

I found most of the differences between Freesat and Sky Free to Air to be the channels worth deleting - mainly the American God channels and shopping channels. Smile 200+ channels and still nothing to watch!

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:

As I am in single tuner mode, I can see like the Toppy when you are recording one thing, you can swap to another channels on the same mux without interrupting the recording.

For full timeshift functionality you have to enable the timeshift buffer: menu -> setup -> recordings, playback & timeshift -> timeshift -> Automatically start timeshift after = say, 10 seconds. There is only one timeshift buffer which starts capturing data when you switch channels (the previous contents are effectively lost when you change channels) If the buffer is operational at the beginning of a program and half way through the program you decide to record it Openvix will give you the opion to record from the begiining of the program from the data in the timeshift buffer and stop when the end of the program occurs. This is the same as the option in Mystuff.

If the automatic start timeshift is disabled you can still pause live TV. Pressing pause will also start up the hard disk/timeshift buffer but you may only go back through the program to the point where you pressed pause and not to the point where you changed channels.

If the timeshift buffer spans more than one program then to jump over those boundary use the < (prev) or > (next) buttons located just below the 7 and 9 keys on your remote

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 196
Anyone have, used or have knowledge of the Manhattan T3-R?

Fiendish
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
jimi wrote:
Anyone have, used or have knowledge of the Manhattan T3-R?

Yes indeed. I use a T3-R (and also own a T2-R) and was on their beta/debug team prior to the T3-R's release. It's still got a few minor rough edges but is very fast and 99.9999% reliable. It gives a high quality picture tho' SD reproduction seems very reliant on bitrate. BBC1 SD is great whilst some of the minor channels are a bit soft and pixelated.

It differers from the Toppy/Mystuff combination in as much as there's very little you can configure on the T3-R: no manual timers, no file folders or file granularity over and above the default ALL/SERIES/FILMS, so a real culture shock compared to the myriad range of settings on my old Toppy/Mystuff! Because of the lack of manual timers you are relying on the broadcasters to get their CRIDs and timing signals correct, but we've not had a single missed recording in the last 4 months, and even programmes that have been rescheduled to later slots or days have been recorded with no fuss.

As long as you're prepared to relinquish some/all manual control over recording settings then the T3-R is a good choice, especially if you want a plug-n-play solution.

If you've any questions then ask away...

Tim

jimi
Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
@ Fiendish
Thanks for that, sounds interesting, possibly more user friendly for the technologically challenged (her indoors) than the Enigma/OpenVix/Zgemma route.
She loves the Toppy/MyStuff setup (as do I) which we've had for the last 13 years, be a very sad day when it has to go Crying or Very sad hopefully get a few more years out of it yet Cool

slimgym
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
For full timeshift functionality you have to enable the timeshift buffer
Thank you! As said earlier, World of Satellite commendably turned around the faulty unit same day with a replacement that went out next day delivery.

I played with the timeshift and that works well and lets you record programmes you catch that have started. I did make the mistake of turning 'autosave on' but that saves every buffer when you swap channel. Could be useful I guess but it filled up /movies with lots of titles very quickly.

Along the way these few points may be useful to others considering an E2 box:

Some of the plug-ins appear in the relevant menu and not in the plugins menu (e.g. AutoBouquetsMaker sits in tuner config and is not shown under the plugins menu).

Ad-skipping uses buttons 1/3, 2/6, 7/9 for forward/back durations configurable as it was with MyStuff on the colour keys.

In some menus 2/8 are used as page up and page down.

Plug-in E2iStream has iPlayer, ITV player and some others also you can download without expiry.

Bouquet builders - AutoBouquetsE2 and AutoBouquetsMaker. The first is nice and simple, the second more configurable. I have used the latter, FTA only and put the channels my FSFS card does in my own Favourites Bouquet.

Still early days but love the box. It is certainly the closest to being as configurable as MS/Toppy. The processor is far more responsive than the old Toppys so no lag. It's great to be easily grab saved programmes quickly via network share, even in HD which a Freesat/Freeview or Sky box won't let you do.

All I can see that's missing is going back to padding in the absence of some sort of accurate recording facility.

Have you fitted the HDD internally? I am using it via the USB port and an adaptor currently, don't notice any speed issues that way it just doesn't look too neat.

jimi
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Any one know if any of these boxes come with or are configurable for terrestrial tuners only ? I have no use (or desire to have) for satellite
I'd rather have just DVB-T/2, DVB-C/T/T2 tuners rather than being stuck with a DVB-S/S2 that I'll never use.

alan_m
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:

Along the way these few points may be useful to others considering an E2 box:

Some of the plug-ins appear in the relevant menu and not in the plugins menu (e.g. AutoBouquetsMaker sits in tuner config and is not shown under the plugins menu).

Some of the functions that used to be plugins are now part of Openvix and are incoperated in the image. AutobouquetMaker (effectively channel scanning) has been part of the build for many years. Also installed as part of the main image are the Web Interface, EPGRefresh (a mechanism for refreshing the EPG in the background - the EPG is stored to the harddisk or USB stick), EPGImporter (one mechanism for obtaining the EPG from the Internet rather than over the air) - plus a few others. This also means there are usually options in the main OpenVix menu system rather than launching the plugins independantly from the Plugin Menu.

Quote:

In some menus 2/8 are used as page up and page down.

Also when in the graphical EPG the channel up/down buttons will advance/go back 24 hours so you can navigate fast to the same time the next day.

Quote:

Plug-in E2iStream has iPlayer, ITV player and some others also you can download without expiry.

In the past things like this have broken when the broadcasters have changed things. However this is no different to some TVS that also stop providing some of these functions.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
jimi wrote:
Any one know if any of these boxes come with or are configurable for terrestrial tuners only ? I have no use (or desire to have) for satellite
I'd rather have just DVB-T/2, DVB-C/T/T2 tuners rather than being stuck with a DVB-S/S2 that I'll never use.
The H7S has two satellite tuners and one cable/terrestrial, the H7C has two cable/terrestrial and one satellite tuner.

jimi
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:
jimi wrote:
The H7S has two satellite tuners and one cable/terrestrial, the H7C has two cable/terrestrial and one satellite tuner.

I noticed that, would have been nice with if they had one with 3 cable/terrestrial tuners, I'd be very interested in that configuration Smile

slimgym
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
jimi wrote:
I noticed that, would have been nice with if they had one with 3 cable/terrestrial tuners, I'd be very interested in that configuration Smile
Agreed. I'm not sure the simultaneous recording ability in that configuration.

There are drivers for various USB based tuners and three USB's on the rear, e.g. Hauppauge 950Q, Win-TV, pcv292e, Afatech 867, 9015 a fair list of them so that may be one way of increasing the number of tuners and simultaneous recordings possible.

As an aside the bit rates on satellite appear higher than Freeview if that is a consideration.

SD BBC ONE satellite peak 4.8Mbps, avarage 4Mbps. Freeview was 3.6/2.2

BBC ONE HD satellite 9.2/5 and freeview 5/3.8Mbps.