Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  How to stop reboots due to corrupt file?

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 781
After my several reboots as documented here, my Toppy started randomly rebooting during use. It happened while watching live TV and while watching a recording. I have a backup of all crucial files and recordings, so rather than try and fix it late on Friday night before hoping to record the Rugby the following morning, I reformatted the hard drive. I'd previously copied across the whole of the ProgramFiles folder, so I simply copied it back after the format. All my searches and timers were still there, just none of the recordings. It will take me a while to copy them back Sad

My question is if there was any other way to get around the reboots. One that has caught me out in the past is a corruption in an MS file. Even recovering a previous version from within MS doesn't work, so I have previously gone in with Antares and renamed the old files before copying new versions back in. This has worked before, but not this time. Is there anything else I could have tried before the "nuclear option"?

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
You obviously won't have any recordings after a reformat!

Did you mean that you had no recordings before you reformatted? If so, the file system was corrupted. This is typically caused by a poor quality signal (use TM PcControl| Measure Signals) and/or a failing power supply
Note: All quality values on each mux need to show 98, 99 or 100 (signal values can be much lower)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Having owned a Toppy for 14 years, I'm quite well aware that formatting its (or any other) disk will remove any files stored on it. Rolling Eyes Hence why I backed up the ProgramFiles directory before doing the format and reinstalling it immediately afterwards.

I had a 1Tb disk nearly full of recordings, which was how I was able to watch one when it rebooted. I should have mentioned that I checked the file system and there was nothing major to report, though I did get an error about incorrect files being in the root directory, so something had gone amiss at some stage, but not necessarily last week. I'm 99% certain that the Toppy was rebooting due to something dodgy on the disk. And the fact that it's been 100% reliable since then (he says, touching wood), tends to suggest that I was correct. That's why I asked that specific question.

FWIW I haven't touched the connections and the signal strength now is fine as it has been for the past several years. I was watching the main BBC channel when it rebooted, and that has never been anything other than full quality for years since they turned off analogue. Normally it's set to ITV4+1 so that the disk will spin down if there's no activity. It sometimes comes up with a Toppy warning about that channel when tuned to it, but only because it's not sending any data - the quality is fine. The only MUX with poorer quality is the local one, but I make sure that none of the channels on there are available in MS by excluding them from my favourites files.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
Your corruption could have occurred when you were watching your "poor quality" local channel and only showed up later.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Indeed it might. And several other probable or improbable things might have caused it to fail. But the fact that it has been rock-solid for months and then started failing immediately after I mistakenly cycled the power several times makes it far, far more likely that the corruption occurred due to repeated cycling.

But whatever the cause, it still doesn't answer my question