Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Clocks go back tonight

Page 1 of 1
gomezz
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3988 Location: Buckingham
Can never remember how well each device copes with clock changes so I always set a dummy timer on all of my PVRs for early in the morning ahead of the first real recording of the day to give them a chance to shake down and switch to winter mode.

Especially as it is the second RWC semi tomorrow at 9am GMT for Wales v SA (no spoilers please about today's semi between England and NZ).

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 781
I just set the MS wake timer for considerably earlier on the changeover day. It's set for ITV4+1, so the difference in power consumption is slight if it's not transmitting.

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
I suspect it uses the same power on the toppy whether or not the station is broadcasting regular programs.

I don't worry about the clocks as I run an MS EPG scan around 7 am i.e. before I am likely to want to record anything
I used to get the EPG scan to automatically power off after 25 mins but I now keep it running; this eliminates the startup when I want to use the toppy and also reduces the number of times the toppy would seem to hang/crash (I still get them occasionally when doing multiple QuickJump keystrokes in quick succession)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The difference between a Toppy on standby and a Toppy on a station that's not transmitting is tiny according to people on this forum many years ago. Without searching back over 10 years, I can't find the precise thread, but people with power meters did measure the various power consumptions in the various states. As there's nothing to store in the timeshift file, it allows your disk to spin down if you've set the option. Obviously if the Toppy needs to write anything to disk, it will spin up and use considerably more power.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
Surely the station is broadcasting - even if it isn't a proper program (that is why you see something on the screen saying something like "transmissions start at xx:xx").
Therefore, if time shifting is switched on, you are writing to the disk.

Personally, I'd prefer to set the channel to something like BBC1; that way you are using a channel whose quality signal is good (less likely to get disk corruption) and you are also getting a good source of EPG updates

Still, no need for you to worry about this for another 6 months!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
gomezz
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3988 Location: Buckingham
Five months.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I often hear the disk spinning up when I first use the Toppy, well after it has come on at 8am on ITV4+1 using an MS EPG timer. If the channel were transmitting a data stream, it would be continually writing it to the timeshift buffer and the disk wouldn't spin down. I think that proves it's not sending anything significant other than that static image. If anyone has the time and a power meter, they could redo the measurements of the consumption in the various states and report back. I do remember that someone fitted an SSD to a Toppy, but I can't remember the outcome (apart from spending lots of money back then!) Obviously the Toppy doesn't need the speed boost, but the lower power might be nice. Having said that, MS does take a while to start with a full 1Tb disk; I've noticed a considerable decrease in startup time with my now-empty disk, so maybe it would be an improvement...

The signal is well over 90% and the quality is 100% on ITV4+1, so I'm not sure why BBC1 would be any better. It would use considerably more power timeshifting continuously, and I would rather a lower-powered, greener toppy than the other way round. I've not noticed that the EPG updates are any slower on ITV than they are on BBC, but I must admit that you've infinitely more experience with the nuts and bolts of EPG transmission than I have, though.