Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What to buy after a Toppy

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
cuthbert
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 91
'Evening all. I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but searching didn't seem to throw up any answers. Sorry about that.

What is the recommended "upgrade path" after a Topfield? What did you move to, or what is your plan - Humax? Sky?

My 5810 has worked flawlessly since purchase, and is still at the centre of the household AV setup. Even after 13 years, with Mystuff, you can't fault it. I remember picking it up one winter's night at the postal depot in Milton Keynes, locking myself out of the car, and having to get a taxi home to get spare keys.

Anyway, Humax seems nice. And OSMC on the Pi is good. So good, I had a vague idea to extend it into a DVR - but that requires 2 DVB dongles and ongoing hassle.

Jim

Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/9/1

TF5800, OSMC/Pi, All in One 7145, Sansa Clip Zip/Rockbox, Sony Blu-ray, Leak Delta 70/Sandwich 600
cuthbert
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
For anyone looking, see eg. the following threads:

https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=263728#263728

And if you are considering the current top of the line Humax:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humax-fvp-5000t-to-replace-toppy
https://www.avforums.com/threads/freeview-replacement-for-topfield.2171288/

...it doesn't seem to have quite caught up with MyStuff yet.[/url]

TF5800, OSMC/Pi, All in One 7145, Sansa Clip Zip/Rockbox, Sony Blu-ray, Leak Delta 70/Sandwich 600
alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3509
cuthbert wrote:
'Evening all. I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but searching didn't seem to throw up any answers. Sorry about that.

What is the recommended "upgrade path" after a Topfield? What did you move to, or what is your plan - Humax? Sky?

My 5810 has worked flawlessly since purchase, and is still at the centre of the household AV setup. Even after 13 years, with Mystuff, you can't fault it. I remember picking it up one winter's night at the postal depot in Milton Keynes, locking myself out of the car, and having to get a taxi home to get spare keys.

Anyway, Humax seems nice. And OSMC on the Pi is good. So good, I had a vague idea to extend it into a DVR - but that requires 2 DVB dongles and ongoing hassle.

Jim

Some ex-Toppy users have gone down the Enigma2 receiver route (either satellite or Terrestrial) running the OpenVix software. There are a few long threads in this forum discussing this however they were started maybe 4 or 5 years ago and some of the suggested boxes are no longer available having been replaced with models with, in the main, better specifications for the same money. The Enigma2 boxes are manufactured by around a dozen different companies all with different specifications and price points. They can all run the same software.

Boxes
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers

Note 1: not all the boxes listed on the above page are Enigma2 that can run OpenVix. In the description of each box there will be an "Available Options" section where Enigma2 firmare will be listed if it can support OpenVix.

Note 2: These boxes come with a variety of tuners
DVB-S2X or DVB-S2 = SD or HD Satellite
DVB-T2 = SD or HD via an aerial
DVB-C = SD or HD via a cable
DVB -C/T2 = SD or HD via cable OR aerial (not both together)

Note3: Many boxes now support UHD (Ultra High Definition) 4K TV (as well as SD and HD) so don't overlook these boxes even though you may never use 4K.

Software
http://www.openvix.co.uk/
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/openvix-features-2/

Last edited by alan_m on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3988 Location: Buckingham
I am afraid I went back to the dark ages and picked up an old Digitalstream Freeview PVR for a song in a sale to replace my Toppy to add HD capability and with the modded firmware flexible fixed time recording repeat modes. Doesn't cope with COM7 (BBC News / BBC4 HD etc) so have to leave that untuned.

Also have a Humax Freesat HDR which with the modded firmware on that allows me to copy radio programmes to my laptop to rip to my Rockbox'd PMP for listening to when out and about (RadMac, F1 practise and TMS).

And a BT Youview PVR so I can follow MotoGP but while the UI on that may look slick to the casual user it is by comparison very clunky and limited. No fixed timed recordings / padding for example which is a big loss when recording live sport that over-runs. Occasionally thought of ditching that and subscribing to the MotoGP online service instead which offers full catch up of all practise and race session in lieu of recording. But then add in World and British Superbike coverage on Eurosport and Champions League coverage and the overall value supports sticking with BT Youview.

cuthbert
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks gomezz and alan_m for good information. I like the idea of some kind of Openvix platform. For now I will experiment with OSMC and report back here any success.

Was attracted by Humax. Still am really, but that 10 keyword search limit is truly naff Shocked.

Jim.

cuthbert
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I had an old hauppauge TV stick in a drawer and connected it to the Pi already running Kodi (aka OSMC). Then installed something called "Tvheadend", and the Tvheadend add-on for Kodi.

This gives you a basic Freeview PVR. After hacking the font sizes, which were far too small and faint, I made it look a bit like MyStuff, except not as good, obviously:

EPG:

Recordings. Ugh, those full date timestamps:

A few pluses and minuses:

- It will never be as integrated or useable as Mystuff
- The guides and docs are labyrinthine and dated
- The basic build is easy but the details are harder, like getting fonts you can read.
- Prepare to spend hours in forums
- Channel logos are available but seemingly endless bother.

+ TV can be streamed to a phone or tablet. One such user will take one tuner from the pool. Recordings can be streamed too (without the tuner)
+ Recordings are simple TS files which are available over the network, via FTP or whatever.
+ You can set recordings through the web interface. It is dated and not mobile friendly, but seems efficient.
+ Search is possible, on program titles and descriptions, including regular expressions. No Humax-like limitations.
+ Extensive "skins" are available. They are all ghastly.

A dual USB tuner is on order, (£69). And an IR receiver for better remote control. Is it a viable Toppy replacement? Testing continues...

Jim.

jimi
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 192
Interesting, can you do series recording ?

Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 161
Interesting thread.

I am really totally happy with my Toppy and ADORE MyStuff. I have no interest in HD and don't own an HD TV. Nor do I have any interest in mobile phones or internet connectivity. I just want a normal TV box that works well.

The only thing I would like is more channels, and I'd love to have access to the free-to-air satellite channels. That's why I had thought about getting some kind of OpenVix Enigma2 box in the future. But nothing seems anywhere near as good as the Toppy/MyStuff.

Also, channel logos is a MUST for me, as is the ability to re-order channels, which rules out all consumer boxes like Humaxes. This also probably rules out Raspberry Pies running Tvheadend.

Really I just want a MyStuff interface that takes dual aerial and satellite inputs Smile Maybe some day someone can come up with a device that does this!
alan_m
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Grand Dizzy wrote:

But nothing seems anywhere near as good as the Toppy/MyStuff.

In my opinion Enigma2/Openvix is as good as, if not better than, a Toppy/Mystuf. You just have to get into a different mind set as you haveto do with changing to any other box with a different Graphic User Interface.

Quote:

Also, channel logos is a MUST for me,

I have a full set of channel logos for both Freeview and Freesat on my Enigma2 box.

Quote:

Really I just want a MyStuff interface that takes dual aerial and satellite inputs Smile Maybe some day someone can come up with a device that does this!

OpenVix is very close to MyStuff albeit with different ternimology and a different mindset for using it. The boxes are much more powerful than a Toppy with regards speed, memory, non-volitile storage etc. The capabilities are better than a Toppy - it is possible to record 8 programs and watch a recording all at the same time. Fully networked so transferring recordings is 100x times faster. See my signature for what a Enigma box can do with respect tuners.

As for not wanting HD. For terrestrail there are already SD channels encoded on HD transponders because you can get more SD channels in the bandwidth with this encoding. The Toppy cannot receive these SD channels because it hasn't got HD capabale tuners. These days 4K UHD TV capability is now common place and it is likely that soon that the only boxes available will be 4K (still with the capability for SD and HD)

The only dowside is that you need Internet capability to get the best out of the boxes. In general. software updates and configurations for freesat/freview channels logos, etc require the box to collect data from the internet. Day to day operation of the box doesn't require that you connect to the Internet.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 121 Location: Essendon, Herts.
How is the EPG obtained? I had an old Enigma1 Dreambox which used the Radiotimes XML until that ceased and it became just now/next with manual timers so I moved on. I got it out again based on this thread but it seems they never gripped the EPG and I spent spare time for a few days fiddling with scripts and add-ons to no avail.

Is the EPG grabbed off air or via the internet? AIUI both EPG's are proprietary (could change at any time) and anything grabbed off the internet relies upon goodwill for that to continue?

Is there any form of Accurate Record or do you have to rely upon manual padding?

I was considering the Zgemma H7S which is perhaps a few years old but may be capable. I only need a couple of tuners for satellite. There is a mine field of information and no easy central resource, it all feels a bit underground Wink

We have a Humax FVP-4000T for Freeview and it's functional but crashes or loses recordings far more often than the Toppy + MS ever did. What is better about the FVP-4000T is dropping recordings on to it via ethernet to watch, streaming from servers, and grabbing recordings off it (SD only).

alan_m
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:
How is the EPG obtained? I had an old Enigma1 Dreambox which used the Radiotimes XML until that ceased and it became just now/next with manual timers so I moved on. I got it out again based on this thread but it seems they never gripped the EPG and I spent spare time for a few days fiddling with scripts and add-ons to no avail.

The box is probably way too old to be used with the up-to-date Enigma2 software. You will probably find that things have moved on since your Dreambox experience.

Quote:

Is the EPG grabbed off air or via the internet? AIUI both EPG's are proprietary (could change at any time) and anything grabbed off the internet relies upon goodwill for that to continue?

I get 7 EPG for both UK freeview and Freesat over the air. There are additional options within the Openvix software to get EPG via the Internet but I don't use them.

Note: Both Freeview/Freesat have a broadcast 7 day EPG for all the channels on that platform. Other Free to Air channels may ony have a broadcast anow/next listing hence to option to get an EPG via the Internet.

Quote:

Is there any form of Accurate Record or do you have to rely upon manual padding?

Padding which can be applied automatically.

Quote:

I was considering the Zgemma H7S which is perhaps a few years old but may be capable.

It supports UHD 4K Tv so not that old.
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/zgemma/zgemma-h7s

Quote:

I only need a couple of tuners for satellite. There is a mine field of information and no easy central resource, it all feels a bit underground Wink

The software (Openvix) has fairly good support for UK Terrestrial and Satelitte (Freeview and freesat).
It is not at all underground.
http://www.openvix.co.uk/

There are of course many third party plugins which may be poorly documented and supported but the Openvix software itself has all you need for a broadcst reciever and this is being actively maintained and updated (mainly for the new recievers that are coming into the market place). It's all menu driven.

The support for third party plugins is possibly no different to what has happened with Topfield Taps. Hundreds of TAPs have disappered from the net over the past 5 to 10 years. Even many of the popular TAPs are now archived by other users when the original writters have moved on or when their personal their web sites have expired.

I recommend that you buy from World of Satelitte (no connection other than a satisfied customer).

Quote:

We have a Humax FVP-4000T for Freeview and it's functional but crashes or loses recordings far more often than the Toppy + MS ever did. What is better about the FVP-4000T is dropping recordings on to it via ethernet to watch, streaming from servers, and grabbing recordings off it (SD only).

With the Zgemma H7S with two satellite and one terstrial tuner you can recond Freesat and Freeview at the same time. The Enigma2 boxes can be networked (ideally via ethernet cable to a router) and setting up something like SAMBA (a menu option in OpenVix) you see the box and its recordings on your PC to copy/paste - drag drop files etc. Openvix comes with an inbuilt Web Interface that you can use to control your box and stream video (live or recordings). You can record to the network.

When moving from Toppy/Mystuff you just have to get into a different mind-set. OpenVix will do 95% of what Mystuff can do and possibly much more. It will often do it in a different way but the end result will be the same.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 161
alan_m wrote:
In my opinion Enigma2/Openvix is as good as, if not better than, a Toppy/Mystuf.…

Thanks for all that excellent info Alan! Smile What you said has totally sold me and as soon as I get some spare cash I'm going to save up for a box like yours. Smile

For the record, my TV is a 15-year-old SD plasma (1024i). The picture quality is superb and I have no intention of replacing it if I can. Most new screens use LED, which I can't use as I have sensitive eyes/skin and find LED almost impossible to look at. I don't use WiFi either, but I'm happy to plug an ethernet cable into the back of the box.
slimgym
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 121 Location: Essendon, Herts.
Alan,
Thank you! Yes the E1 box is probably ten years old but good to hear the E2's can decode off air EPG's. The Dreambox was like the Toppy, basic functionality built upon by multiple different images - volunteer-written so when they moved on things broke and didn't get fixed. That's not to be critical because excellent work was done. I found some E2 images for it but the CPU isn't up to it and the demods are DVB-S only plus it only has SCART output.

I do like the look of Openvix and the skinning to look like Sky or Freeview. The H7S I picked because it had two satellite connections and could take an internal HDD. I have a conventional non-FBC twin output LNB so the FBC receivers are of no benefit. I'll take a browse on WOS but I think that's the one to have a go with!

Appreciate your guidance!

cuthbert
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
jimi wrote:
Interesting, can you do series recording ?

Hi jimi, yes, it does series recording. Also, duplicates can be skipped. So you can set it to record eg. "The Professionals" and you don't end up with all the repeated episodes that get pumped out by ITV4 every week. Useful for me.

A dual tuner and an IR receiver have been added to the Pi setup, and an old flash drive for storage. Testing continues to see if it can replace the Toppy, with both being run side-by side for comparison.

Grand Dizzy wrote:
I have no interest in HD and don't own an HD TV. Nor do I have any interest in mobile phones or internet connectivity. I just want a normal TV box that works well.

Exactly my view. However, after attaching a dual tuner, I appear to have HD anyway. Surprisingly, my ancient Sony TV actually displays it. Also, as a test, I streamed the Rugby to 3 devices besides TV. I can report that it works fine. You can also view recordings on any device, view the EPG and set recordings. Useful? Probably for some people.

cuthbert
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, duplicates can be skipped. So you can set it to record eg. "The Professionals" and you don't end up with all the repeated episodes that get pumped out by ITV4 every week.

Test: The Topfield and the Pi are both set to record "Pawn Stars". Both find that there are 28 episodes in the next week. The Toppy is set to record all. The Pi will record only 12 of the 28, the rest being re-runs from within the week (or reruns from today or yesterday, when the timer was set up).[/quote]