Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Failing DTRT1000 youview box - replace with what?

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 788
Though I mainly use my Toppy for recording, I use my youview box to record some stuff in HD. But it has started failing to record and failing start up when you use the remote or the front panel. If I turn it off and wait a few minutes, it (usually) starts up fine, and it will (usually) continue to work as long as I remember to turn it on every morning. I understand that you can't get the recordings off the box, so I guess I'll let it soldier on and not record anything new to it and try to empty the disk.

Although the interface is pretty poor, I've got used to it, so I was wondering about getting a newer, secondhand, more powerful model rather than the pain of learning a new PVR such as Enigma. I'm quite computer literate, so I hope I wouldn't have a problem if I did decide to switch.

Thoughts?

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Darucla
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
I still have a DTR 100, which I managed to have exchanged just before the guarantee expired on the original free machine supplied by Youview. This one has been fine ever since, although I only really use it for iPlayer-like purposes, and occasional recordings of something that I don't wish to keep, such as F1.

However, if it broke, i wouldn't replace it. i now have 2 Enigma II (linux) machines, and they do the job. Plus I can access the recordings from anywhere, or transfer them to another drive on the network. I use Plex to watch them, which makes life simple. A single server allows viewing across every connected device I have. I have also ordered a new Fire TV Cube, which will ease some of the playback issues, and also has all of the catchup apps (I believe). In fact the Fire TV sticks would probably do the same job.

The Enigma II boxes are fine, although the software isn't quite as intuitive as it could be. But easily enough learned.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
@yorkshirejumbo

capacitors failing?
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.

It could certainly be capacitors, but I've no idea of how these boxes are prone to fail. It still restarts fine most times, so I'm able to use it to watch some of the old stuff I don't want to lose, but it's taken a bit of trial and error to see what works. Leaving it on for a couple of hours now causes it to freeze, as does setting it to use the "Smart standby" for too long during the day. So I now have it in it Smart Standby for only an hour and it has so far started every day for a week without problem - it even recorded a timer that I forgot to remove. It seems that being on causes it to fail Rolling Eyes and it did seem to be getting worse.

Does anyone repair Youview boxes? I could get a secondhand one off eBay for £40-50, but I'd lose all the recordings.

I'm thinking that something like an Enigma box is a long-term solution, but I'd still like not to have to throw away the old recordings too quickly

alan_m
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
that being on causes it to fail Rolling Eyes and it did seem to be getting worse.

Does anyone repair Youview boxes? I could get a secondhand one off eBay for £40-50, but I'd lose all the recordings.

Swap the hard disks.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
The capacitors in these boxes do fail, but not in the PSU. The PSU provides 12V and seems to have good quality capacitors.

The various voltages are derived on the mainboard using buck and boost converters, and it's the capacitors here that are the problem. They are mostly 220uF 16V, several of which will be out of specification (they don't bulge). There are also a couple of 10uF 50V which I think are associated with the tuner. I've had some success replacing all these capacitors, but also some failures.

I think that a major problem with these boxes is that the fan never comes on even when the processor is extremely hot.

See: https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/dtr-t10x0-successful-repair

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
AFAIK swapping the hard drive results in a reformat as they are encrypted by the machine, so you lose the recordings. Evil or Very Mad

It might be heat-related, as it has worked for a while after restarting before freezing. And leaving it in deep standby seems to have stopped the problem for now.It is in a unit, but should not be getting too hot as it sits on a largely unused DVD player with nothing on top of it. Is it worth trying to repair the capacitors, do you think?

andyfras
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Yes, I think that it's worth replacing the capacitors, as the unit is sort of working.

I can supply a kit of 10 x 220uF @ 16V + 2 x SMD 10uF @ 50V for £6 inc. postage.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
PM sent