Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Hard drive formatted accidentally

Page 1 of 1
NeilM
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Posts: 195
Toppy 5800 with replacement 1TB drive, pre-digital Samsung TV, scart connection.

Toppy was switched from standby and when TV came on we got a screen message on the line of Do You Want to Format, with options OK or Cancel. Since Cancel appeared to be highlighted by default we did the obvious on the Pronto and cllcked OK - to confirm we wanted to cancel... Would seem that was a big mistake Shocked

Today we found it had created three recordings, so timers seem to be working from the native EPG. Since it is a secondary machine, there is nothing of great value, but we've lost MyStuff and all the Taps.

The 1TB replacement was done a few years ago by Andyfras along with the capacitors and has worked well. We did have a bit of trouble after the last big retune (Oxford transmitter) but it seemed to have settled down.

However since it had shown the Format notice, should we be looking at getting the drive checked/replaced or just reinstall MyStuff, etc?

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
I can recover the contents of the disk (most of the recordings are probably still recoverable - it all depends on where they are in relation to the new recordings).

However, if you really don't want the old contents, I suggest you just use option 1 in GCBMyStuffInstaller (from my web site in sig) and just reload MyStuff etc.

Disk corruption is usually caused by a poor signal. You can check out the state of the disk by running my fsCheck tap (the Mystuff Installers put it in \ProgramFiles\Utilities). Please post the output of the log in the dedicated fsCheck Reports thread.

Alternatively, you could extract the disk and analyze it using GSmartCtrl
(this assumes you have a suitable interface on the pc)
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
NeilM
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Posts: 195
Hi Geoff - thank you for the installer; I'm afraid it's had to drop down our list of domestic priorities temporarily, but we will get back to it soon and will let you know how we get on.

We're using it on a Snow Leopard MacBook Pro via Parallels/Windows XP Pro.