Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Back to back recordings with padding

Page 1 of 1
mp_york
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Jul 2007 Posts: 28
When Geoff repaired our HDD just before Christmas, he also added some improvements. Now when we record back to back programmes using text search (such as the double episodes of foreign dramas on BBC4), it now includes the padding, so we don't lose the few seconds between recordings.

I would like to do the same to our other Toppy and thought it might just be a MyStuff setting. After a quick look through the manual the K options for merged recordings, specifically K9 looked a likely candidate. However when I looked at the settings on the repaired Toppy, they are all set to NO, so it must be something else.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks,
mp_york.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2549
Not sure how that would work, merged recordings is always the solution, although there are some subtle drawbacks like using extra space until both recordings have been deleted.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4327
Are you sure you checked the correct toppy?

I don't do anything special with the settings, my toppy uses:

K1: 2 mins
K2: 6 mins
K3: Yes
K4: 30 mins
K9: Yes

I'm assuming you are using MyStuff 6.6 - if not, upgrade using option 1 of my GCBMyStuffInstaller (follow link in my signature)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
mp_york
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Jul 2007 Posts: 28
Now I'm even more confused. Last night we watched the last two back to back episodes of Trapped (BBC4 Sat 9PM) and the recordings included padding. However, they weren't merged recordings, because they showed as two recordings on the native menu. Perhaps they were recorded on separate tuners?

We always use Text Search for recording series. I've never tried Power Search.

I then checked the MyStuff settings on both Toppys and they are both running V6.6, but the K settings are slightly different.

Repaired Toppy - pads back to back recordings
K1 2 mins
K2 11 mins
K3 No
K4 15 mins
K5 No
K6 No
K7 No
K8 No
K9 No

Other Toppy - doesn't pad back to back recordings
K1 2 mins
K2 11 mins
K3 YES
K4 15 mins
K5 No
K6 No
K7 YES
K8 No
K9 No

Suggestions? Is it something to do with K3?

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4327
K3 is to allow removal of padding if a tuner needs to be used for another recording; it shouldn't be making a difference to what you are seeing here

There should be no need to increase K2 to 11; the default 6 is more than adequate (this is because you are running Extend and, if it doesn't receive an end of programme signal, it will keep extending the recording in 2 minute increments (for up to 2 hours)
Should you decide to keep your 11 minute padding then you need to edit Extend.ini so that it uses the same value (currently you have a mismatch).
Note: you can use TopManager| Tools| Check MyStuff

I never user TS, I always use PowerSearch. As far as you are concerned, you don't have to do anything different apart from selecting PS instead of TS. The advantage of PS is that MS uses the broadcast SID (Series Identification) to find other programmes in the series (possibly on a different channel). This helps when the programmes is also available on alternative channels and/or a programme changes channel when the next series is broadcast. It also allows MS to record things that are linked by the broadcaster e.g. similar programmes that don't share the same Text string.
Note: For a proper description, see the MyStuff manual

I suggest you set the values to those that I use and see how it goes (you can always refer to this thread to restore your original values.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18