Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Replacement for Topfield

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
leenoble
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 291 Location: Cheshire, UK
Off topic but - I've always used an external source for the EPG. The over the air one doesn't have the same detail. I've not updated my sig for some time. Pretty sure I'm on v 6.5 of MyStuff but no version of MS is going to give me the equivalent of the old Radio Times EPG source without updating via USB since I've never had a slug (are they still a thing).
I got my setup sorted a long time ago and outside the two times I've had to source a new EPG provider as old ones closed down or barred access I've seen no need to research alternatives.

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4300
If it works for you then stick with it.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
ccs
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2537
leenoble wrote:
I did click the link provided above regarding the Enigma 2 and I'll probably look into it further when I need to but the first thing I noted was that the shop was out of stock and the device seems to have already been available for several years. Doesn't seem particularly easy to find a retailer but I found one eventually.

The thread was started over 4 years ago, boxes come and go, terrestrial only receivers are not so easy to source at the moment, but maybe have a look here.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3484
leenoble wrote:

I did click the link provided above regarding the Enigma 2 and I'll probably look into it further when I need to but the first thing I noted was that the shop was out of stock and the device seems to have already been available for several years.

World of Satellite sell 19 different brands of Enigma 2 boxes and each brand has various models. The models come with different specifications and price points. Many boxes have interchangeable tuners and World of Satellite have the same boxes with various combinations of tuners. All support the OpenVix software.

You may no longer find the same models as used by those of us that moved over many years ago but many new models have appeared in the last six months or so. These new boxes support SD, HD and now UHD (4K) TV broadcast and in general are much better specified (faster CPUs. dual/quad core. more RAM. more Flash etc) for you money than the equivalent of a couple of years ago.

If you go the satellite route rather than terestrail many of the new boxes support unicable LNBs (equivalent of perhaps 32 LNBs down a single coaxial cable from the dish) and have FCB tuners (the equivalent of 8 seperate traditional tuners in one tuner slot).

A fairly good introduction can be found at (read the whole thread)
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable
You may have to register for the forum to read the article

Quote:

Doesn't seem particularly easy to find a retailer but I found one eventually.

World of Satellite (WOS) the sponsor of the OpenVix site

http://www.world-of-satellite.com = OpenVix Downloads/user forum
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk = shop/retailer

OpenVix is third party hobbyist written software. Enigma 2 boxes can also be used with a couple of different (but basically similar) images

Quote:

Can the UI on the Enigma match MyStuff? Wink

Its missing a few features. On the other hand it has additional features and some things are done in a different way so yes with a slight change of mind set it is very comparable. You can change skins and add plugins etc. Hundreds of configurable parameters which you may or may not want to change. Because these boxes can record 8 or more programmes at the same time there is no need for things such as back to back record merging.

The network capability also allows recording to external devices.

For Freesat, Freeview or Free to Air Sky you can get the 7 day EPG over the air. Alternatively because the box is network capable you can configure it to automatically fetch a EPG from the Internet on a daily basis.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 741
I've just been to look at the WoS website. Shocked So much choice, so much of which makes little sense to a newbie. How on earth do you choose from all the different options? Shocked

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
leenoble
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 291 Location: Cheshire, UK
I'm not yet in the market for a new box but glad to know there are options, even if they seem a little overwhelming. I think when I was first looking for a PVR I spent some considerable time researching and I may even have joined this forum before I made my choice based on the wealth of information available from the healthy community surrounding the Toppy at the time. It looks like when the time does come I'll have to spend some time in those Enigma forums working things out - unless someone wants to start a "Refugee from Topfield" thread over there for us to congregate in Wink

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
alan_m
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
leenoble wrote:
I'm not yet in the market for a new box but glad to know there are options, even if they seem a little overwhelming. I think when I was first looking for a PVR I spent some considerable time researching and I may even have joined this forum before I made my choice based on the wealth of information available from the healthy community surrounding the Toppy at the time. It looks like when the time does come I'll have to spend some time in those Enigma forums working things out - unless someone wants to start a "Refugee from Topfield" thread over there for us to congregate in Wink

Lots of information in this Toppy thread
https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20627

Possibly read the thread backwards beacause it started 4/5 years ago. Boxes have changed in the intervening years (old boxes no longer sold - better specified boxes have come into the market).

Te OpenVix software (image) which can be pre-installed on these boxes by World of Satellite fundamentally hasn't changed apart from perhaps being a bit more user friedly in for Uk customers wanting to scan for Freeview/Freesat channel. Phyically small boxes will require an external hard disk for PVR functionality. Larger boxes will have the faciilty to take internal hard disks.

Although the following video contains a few errors and wrong assumptions it gives a fairly good guide to what OpanVix is about and the capabilities of these boxes. One error concerns jumping backwards by a (configurable) fixed amount through a recording or timeshifted prrogramme - the boxes have this capability. Don't worry about references to the Miraclebox model as Openvix on any Enigam 2 machine works in the same way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUwpe2IO0c&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by alan_m on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
leenoble wrote:
I'm not yet in the market for a new box but glad to know there are options, even if they seem a little overwhelming
The route I went down was first to get a Freesat PVR (for the 2010 World Cup in HD) then a Dizzy Freeview HD PVR for when my Toppy finally failed. Also got a BT Youview PVR (primarily for the MotoGP coverage) which means I am a little overprovisioned with recording capability but difficult to retire any of the devices given their respective unique capabilities.

Operating them all made a lot easier with the use of a Harmony activity-based remote control where the same button does the same thing on each device for the common functions with soft-keys on the remote screen for the more esoteric dedicated functions.

goodolpete
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 190
I know with Enigma2 boxes you can get satellite HD channels,
but do the other satellite channels have the same quality/bandwidth as
the Freeview channels that the Toppy can pick up?

?
alan_m
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
goodolpete wrote:
I know with Enigma2 boxes you can get satellite HD channels,
but do the other satellite channels have the same quality/bandwidth as
the Freeview channels that the Toppy can pick up?

The Enigma 2 boxes also do HD on Terestrial (T/T2 tuners)

Possibly Freeview SD has the edge for bitrates over Freesat SD at the present time but that doesn't mean that things will not change in the future.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 May 2009 Posts: 52
I bought a couple of Enigma boxes running ViX, but really can't get on with them. So much so, that I don't use them, much preferring the Topfield running MyStuff.

I wish ViX was as friendly as MyStuff.

?
alan_m
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
adrianlodge wrote:
I bought a couple of Enigma boxes running ViX, but really can't get on with them. So much so, that I don't use them, much preferring the Topfield running MyStuff.

What are you having trouble with?

I found OpenVix no more complicated than Mystuff.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
alan_m wrote:

It seems to me inevitable to me that OpenVix will be somewhat like "marmite" - loved by some and hated by others, for reasons such as:

(1) The skins allow tremendous flexibilty as to what is displayed and how (rather than just colour & font size etc), and there are a large number of them so many people will not want to search for the one they like best.

(2) There is limited user documentation, and what exists may not be up-to-date nor easily found. The flexibility of the skins does present a problem to anyone attempting to address this issue as screenshots may not be easiy recognisable.

(3) There is minimal software documentation (or even code comments) to identify what authors were trying to do, so in the absence of user documentation it is difficult to distinguish between bugs and unexpected design intentions.

(4) There are a large number of combinations of hardware (notably tuners), which are not completely hidden from the user.

(5) The use of satellite terminology even when using Freeview, with no translation guide on the website that I am aware of.

I have been looking at the question of Freeview tuning, notably coping with duplicated muxes. Initially I found that the first-found rather than strongest version was (almost?) always being picked. While I have managed to get some changes made to fix the problem associated with some tuners, of the seven models I am aware of there are definite problems with 2, and possible problems with 2 others. As the author of most of the Freeview-related functionality lives in Spain, getting changes made is difficult even without a "not-invented-here" factor. Furthermore there seems to be a reluctance to warn the user of possible problems when they could be detected, so it is easy for the users to find themselves in trouble with no obvious explanation.

EMJB

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:

It seems to me inevitable to me that OpenVix will be somewhat like "marmite" - loved by some and hated by others, for reasons such as:

In much the same way as Toppy users who either adopted Mystuff, used thier own variations of TAPs or kept the native interface.

Quote:

(1) The skins allow tremendous flexibilty as to what is displayed and how (rather than just colour & font size etc), and there are a large number of them so many people will not want to search for the one they like best.

I found the default skin to be acceptable although I now use one of the other skins that Openvix ships as standard. Although skins can change the appearance fundamentally all the menu items are the same. I would recommend that for new users the last thing they need to do is change the skin although it it easy to swap between the different skins that are loaded on to the box. A few popular skins are included in OpenVix as standard and additional skins can be downloaded to the box. They all appear in a menu list where one can be selected.

Quote:

(2) There is limited user documentation, and what exists may not be up-to-date nor easily found. The flexibility of the skins does present a problem to anyone attempting to address this issue as screenshots may not be easiy recognisable.

Agreed, there is a lack of printed documentation but there is a on-screen help line/paragraph associated with each menu item. There is also a help button on which brings up an on-screen picture of the remote with a description of the function of the remote buttons which is akin to the Mystuff manual. Admittedly some of the on-screen help is a bit cryptic but it usually gives a clue to what the menu item relates to.

I will also admit that it does help for Freesat/Sky free to air/Freeview that you are made aware of the AutoboquetMaker menu option for tuning rather than trying to tune for channels from the “native” tuning menu. With AutoboquetMaker and Freeview you set your TV region and it will scan only for the appropriate transmitter rather than scanning every frequency.

Trying to find a description of the optional plug-ins is like trying to find Rocking Horse S*** however I use very few and out of the box no additional plug-ins are needed. Again its very much like Mystuff now (but not always) where the various additional TAPS required for its working are taken care of by the installer. With Openvix any plug-ins required for its working as a Freesat/Freeview receiver/PVR are already included in the Openvix build.

On first installation, or an update without restoring settings, there are set-up wizards to help with configuration.

Having had to set-up a Virgin Tivo box for my mother recently OpenVix is better Smile

Quote:

(3) There is minimal software documentation (or even code comments) to identify what authors were trying to do, so in the absence of user documentation it is difficult to distinguish between bugs and unexpected design intentions.

Again agreed. I have looked at some of the software without a single comment or description about what it does BUT 99.99% of users are NOT going to want to view or change the software. This is a developer (software writer) issue not a user issue.

Quote:

(4) There are a large number of combinations of hardware (notably tuners), which are not completely hidden from the user.

In the main I disagree. Yes there are a large number of different tuners but for users only those models of tuners fitted to the box will be identified in the menu. You don't get a list of all available tuners.

Where it may get more complicated is setting up what the tuner is connected to.

For freeview it will be an aerial so no problem there.

For satellite using a traditional LNB you need to set the location of the satellite from a long list of satellite locations so for Freesat/Free to Air Sky you need to know it's the Astra satellite cluster at 28.2E

You have to remember that these boxes are much more capable of single satellite reception and can have multiple feeds from different satellites or control a motorised dish. Many boxes also support unicable LNBs (multiple LNBs down a single cable) and multiple satellite tuners in the same slot. The latter two functions indicating new technology and the way most (non-sky) systems will be installed in the future.

Quote:

(5) The use of satellite terminology even when using Freeview, with no translation guide on the website that I am aware of.

Perhaps the use of Satellite terminology doesn't worry me and I ignore it but I don't recall it being too bad. These boxes have a satellite background so there may be some hangover from that terminology. OpenVix does however seem to have a terminology of its own unrelated to that used on other boxes and is nothing to do with Satellite/Terrestrial use.

Quote:

I have been looking at the question of Freeview tuning, notably coping with duplicated muxes. Initially I found that the first-found rather than strongest version was (almost?) always being picked. While I have managed to get some changes made to fix the problem associated with some tuners, of the seven models I am aware of there are definite problems with 2, and possible problems with 2 others. As the author of most of the Freeview-related functionality lives in Spain, getting changes made is difficult even without a "not-invented-here" factor. Furthermore there seems to be a reluctance to warn the user of possible problems when they could be detected, so it is easy for the users to find themselves in trouble with no obvious explanation.

I know what you are writing about here and I agree that users should be warned that this new feature may to work for them.

The feature in question was to help trying to get over the problem that in the UK the Freeview MUX frequencies change so often especially while trying to free up the higher frequencies for the mobile phone network and apparent trying to harmonise the frequencies for some of the MUXs.

Keeping the transmitter MUX list up-to-date must also be a problem with Mystuff and the associated TAP.

Instead of (and/or as well as) trying to keep the lists of MUX frequencies for each transmitter up to date the idea was to perform a scan of all frequencies and just keep those with the strongest signal. I can see this failing in periods of atmospheric lift and where quality over a lengthy period is not also considered.

This is compounded by the fact that some tuners don't report "standardised" information. No surprise here as during the history of digital TV no two TVs or set top boxes report similar results for signal levels (or quality).

I should say that when MUX frequencies have changed and I have reported a problem with scanning the problem has been rectified within hours. What usually happens is a request for one of the scan files is made which I post to the forum and in return a modified file is posted back which I have to install. By install I mean that I overwrite the existing file on the box. As the box is fully networked and I can see all the box's files on my laptop it is as simple as copy and paste from the laptop to the box. The changes are then incorporated for all in the next OpenVix build. There is no reliance on this "new" feature that may not work for some people.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 May 2009 Posts: 52
alan_m wrote:
adrianlodge wrote:

What are you having trouble with?

I think I just got so used to MyStuff that I got frustrated by ViX. Little things like series search, jump ahead 1 minute etc. I can't remember all the issues I had.

I think I need to revisit ViX with the aid of a manual.

?