Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  GCB MyStuff Installer (GCBMYStuffInstaller)

Page 1 of 1
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4174
This thread describes a replacement for the original MyStuff Installer (and the Build Offline MyStuff Installer).

The installer can be downloaded from GeeCeeBee.co.uk

Background

The original MyStuff installer made use of a generic Toppy Installer developed by EMJB.
It's multiple installer scripts were created/maintained by ChunkyWizard (CW).
These scripts loaded files from multiple web sites (at least one of which no longer exists)
The original installer needed to be connected to the internet during the install.

The new installer is written solely for installing/upgrading MyStuff i.e. it can't be used for installing anything else.
The single script uses the concepts developed by CW and EMJB but also provides some new constructs.
The script loads files from just two websites (GeeCeeBee.co.uk and Gramp's logos site).
It can generate a zip file that can be used on an offline pc.
The new installer extracts the installation script from it's executable (the original installer downloaded the scripts)

Other differences

The new installer eliminates many unnecessary questions. e.g.
* Not asking about deleting non-existent MyStuff 6.4 backups.
* Automatically updating things (eg FontManager) that are already present on the toppy.
* Just installing a package if any of it's existing data files will not be overwritten i.e. the tap is always upgraded to the latest version

A colour coded log file is displayed on the screen as the installation progresses.
* lines in black indicate actual operations,
* those in grey are comments (or have no effect)
* those in blue show user prompts and
* green "CopyFiles:" lines show that the operation was treated as a comment because an identical toppy file already exists.
This colour coding makes it easier to spot which lines have any effect on the toppy operation.
At the end of the install, the log file is written to the installation directory in two formats; one for processing locally with an Office program (e.g. Word) and another for pasting into the forum (it contains BBcode).

Existing MyStuff.tap and logo files are now only backed up if they differ from those present in the kit.
(running the original installer more than once would overwrite the previous backup versions).

The assumption is that the user always wants the logo files present in the kit. If this is not the case, the user
will have to manually restore any custom logo.dat and smlogo.dat files from the \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\OldCopy\ folder.

The new installer stores a fsSave.tap into \ProgramFiles\Utilities\. If you want to use this tap, move it
to the \ProgramFiles\Auto Start\ folder

How it works

When run, the installer extracts it's initial, specific, installation script from it's own executable file.
Note: If necesssary, the user can perform minor editing on the script file before rerunning the installer.

Having built the kit, the installer presents 4 options. The first 3 correspond to those of the original installer and the fourth
creates a zip file that can be transferred to another pc e.g. for installing when an internet connection is not available.

Having selected the method of connection (USB or FTP), the installer runs the script and, if necessary, asks if a reboot can be
performed to complete the installation.

Rerunning the Installer

When the installer is rerun, it prompts to see if the old kit should be re-used or whether a new kit should be created.
Note: Prior to creating a new kit, the user may opt to save the existing kit (this means one still has something to play with should the kit fail to be recreated).

Once built, the kit contains all the files necessary to install MyStuff.
As there is unlikely to be any further development on a toppy, the only files that may be out-of-date are Freeview.dat, FvTxData.tsv, logos.dat and smlogos.dat.
This means that, if necessary, an old kit can be reused with these files being manually refreshed using the TopManager "Tools| Install Files" menu

Changes to the Installer

Should it be necessary, a new version of the installer will be placed on the GeeCeeBee site.
Users may download this later version or continue using any previously downloaded version.
Note: This installer will not advise you that a later version is available.

Last edited by Geoff Bacon on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Tactilis
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 53
Thank you Geoff for continuing to support the Toppy and enabling MyStuff to be installed easily.

Is there an possibility of asking BobD to update his MyStuff page http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/ so that the Download link points to this thread (or to your website). Anyone trying the original installer is going to find that it doesn't work and have to start searching around for a solution.
BobD
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Geoff has asked me (thanks for alerting me to this thread Geoff, and for all your work in keeping the installer going).

Having dug out my old site/ftp details (it has been a long time since the site was last updated) I discovered the connection didn't work. I think this will be because of the recent(ish) changes Nigel made to the site hosting, so my connection details are almost certainly now wrong.

I'll PM Nigel to see if it is still possible to update the site (I have also noticed that parts of it do not work anymore), but I wouldn't want him to have to do much to enable it, as I can't see there being the need for many updates in the future.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
alan_m
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3474
I can download the installer and unzip it but running the installer and selecting the stand lone option I get an error reported which then stops any further operation.

Log filefollows

Starting MyStuff Installation at 22:48 on Fri 23/11/2018

Extracting script "InstallScript100.txt"

The installer has not detected a previous kit
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Downloading a "consolidated" MyStuff Installer (this may take a few seconds ...)
Fetching MyStuff66ZipKit.zip ...
Unzipping MyStuff kit.zip File date: 05/09/2018 14:57:43

Refreshing ChannelOrganiser files ...
Fetching Freeview.dat ...
File date: 05/07/2018 12:30:16
Fetching FvTxData.tsv (from pccFSGTable_input4.txt) ...
File date: 02/07/2018 20:51:32

Refreshing Logos ...
Fetching dat_logos.zip ...
Unzipping dat_logos.zip File date: 17/09/2018 14:46:58
Duplicate logo.dat (previous dated 11-Jun-2018 08:04, this dated 17-Sep-2018 15:30)
Overwriting logo.dat with more recent version
Duplicate smlogo.dat (previous dated 11-Jun-2018 08:04, this dated 17-Sep-2018 15:30)
Overwriting smlogo.dat with more recent version

The kit has been downloaded
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Scanning "InstallScript100.txt"
Selected option: "4: Build A Standalone Kit"

Created packaged kit ("GCB_MyStuffInstaller_Kit.zip")
<<< but it is missing the following file(s):-
URLMapping.txt

This user has opted to cancel the installation

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
@alamn

Thanks for pointing out that hiccup; iyt only occurs if you rerun the installer and opt to build a backup.

As it happens, the installer doesn't use the URLMapping file for anything; I just added it in case I am forced to move to New Google Sites sometime,

The backup kit it built will work without this file (assuming you don't cancel the installer)

I will post an update shortly.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
alan_m
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3474
Geoff Bacon wrote:
@alamn

Thanks for pointing out that hiccup; iyt only occurs if you rerun the installer and opt to build a backup.

The installer was run once without a Toppy being connected (hence selecting the stand alone option) and no user option about a backup was seen.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Uploaded v1.0.1 to remove the URLMapping hiccup.

Should anyone else want to post an install log then, instead of cutting and pasting the displayed output, please post the "MyStuff Installer Log (Paste Into Forum).txt" file; this contains BBCodes to maintain the displayed colours.

Cheers
Geoff

?