Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  DescriptionExtender Issue

Page 1 of 1
UKKid35
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Jul 2007 Posts: 28
The first line of the description is missing for all programs, as shown here

This happened ages ago when I replaced a hard drive, but I never got around to doing anything about it

Any advice most welcome

Please note I have DescriptionExtender running, although it's not in my signature

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: EPGnavigator v5.1c : EPGnavigator v5.1c - English
Slot 1: QuickJump 1.72 : Jump with the coloured buttons
Slot 2: DescriptionExtender 2.23 : Provides long TAP EPG descriptions
Slot 3: MyInfo B5.5 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slots 4 - 15 not used

Found Auto Start TAP which is no longer running: UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1 (Filename: UkAuto.tap)

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4158
You must be one of the few people still running DescriptionExtender.tap; most are using the [De] patch (which comes courtesy of the MyStuff installer).

I'm not sure that the [De] patch is compatible with EPG Navigator - there is a 7 page thread about it which you could work through to see if it was ever released for general use.

Obviously no one is going to try and fix the DescriptorExtender tap so, if it bugs you, you need to find out whether there is a version of navigator that supports [De]

If there is, I suggest you use the Build Offline MyStuff Installer (from my website) and install MyStuff (option 1) - this will give you all the patches you require plus add some extra taps to Auto Start and the \ProgramFiles\Utilities folder. Then, as you wish to run EPGNavigator, remove the taps that the installer added to Auto Start. You should not remove the PruneEPG tap; this prevents the EPG buffer overflowing.

I also see that your signature doesn't include the T letter in the version; T believe "T" was added so that other members could easily see that the firmware had the relevant patches i.e. you are missing some desirable and possibly essential patches.

You could post an up-to-date MyInfo Log.
Note: your signature implies that MyInfo is version 5.5; you would need to update that first.
The easiest way is to install TopManager on your windows pc and use the Tools| Install Files| MyInfo option. Then, run MyInfo (or reboot and wait 2 mins) and use the Display| MyInfo Log option. Use copy and paste operations to add the log to this thread.

Geoff
PS: Suggest you take a copy of everything in \ProgramFiles before performing the MyStuff Install (one shouldn't need to normally but you aren't running a standard setup)

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
alan_m
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3465
Geoff Bacon wrote:
You must be one of the few people still running DescriptionExtender.tap; most are using the [De] patch (which comes courtesy of the MyStuff installer).

From memory, the last version of EPGNav that I used had a menu option to select the tap or the de patch.

Edit
See
https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196150#196150

The link in the first line of the post
https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174595#174595
appers to allow a download of EPGNav V6 (which may still report as 5.1c)

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5637 Location: Cheltenham
Wow, it's 10 years since I decided that hacking around in MIPS assembler was far too tedious and best left to people more skilled at it!

Yes, try the De patch instead, hopefully that'll do the trick. There's no way I've got the skills anymore to work out what's going on here Laughing
MikB
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 283 Location: West Midlands
Geoff Bacon wrote:
You must be one of the few people still running DescriptionExtender.tap ..

I'm the other one Smile

As a data point, I still use Description Extender 2.1 and EPGNavigator 5.1c on TF5800 -- I just checked Film4 and I can see full details of the programme info.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4158
Well that shows it is possible.
The only obvious difference from the above is that MikB is using an older version of Description Extender.
I suggest you both post your MyInfo logs so that we can identify whether or not there are other differences. @UKKId35: please update your MyInfo first (using TopManager as described above)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?