Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Humax FVP-5000T

Page 1 of 1
Earl_Hickey
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2007 Posts: 208
Has anyone tried one of these and, if so, what were the good bits and bad bits?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/humax-fvp-5000t-freeview-play-smart-digital-tv-recorder-1-tb-10169596-pdt.html

Just planning in case the Toppy doesn't last forever Wink

Also, there may be Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals around...

Thanks

slimgym
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 108 Location: Essendon, Herts.
I *believe* the FVP-5000T is the same as the FVP-4000T which I have and as of now the two are identical. There was talk on one of the forums (maybe hummy.tv) where people had modded the FVP-5000T firmware to run on the FVP-4000T. Then there were miffed feelings from 5000 owners who had upgraded from the 4000 to find the functionality was extended back to the 4000.

I bought from Humax direct https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html - I paid £111 for it. Occasionally they have refurbished units dropped to that price - but now showing £139. It looks brand new and no signs it's ever been used.

In comparison to the Toppy + Mystuff.

HD obviously
Has ethernet+wifi, easily get (only SD) recordings off with DLNA/VLC
Windows 10 just drag and drop as though it were a share
USB port supports copy from recordings to USB (v slow) and back to HDD
Have mapped drive to it from my NAS, can copy directly to it via SMB sharing
Plays back multiple formats, mp4, avi, h264, he-aac probably others
Wireless keyboard works plugged in to USB
Universal search for TV, recordings, on demand, youtube and others
Small footprint
Nice clear graphics, EPG, easily skip to date in EPG.
The EPG shows a link to iPlayer and the option to watch current programme from start
Trails for some programmes have a green button single set to record
Single button skip forward/back whilst watching (as well as ffwd/rew).
Accurate record has been bang on ever time. Nothing cropped.
Multiple record across three tuners, think it's 5 things at once.
Remote record through web GUI or app
Play back other DLNA devices through Humax to non smart TV (it's a DLNA client)
Cast from tablet apps to show on TV (e.g. nPlayer)
Easy access to Netflix, iPlayer, itv, 4, 5, youtube, uktv play catchup
Manual record date/time/channel if required

Speed wise it can be slower than a 5810 to respond to button presses but never seen any ignored like the 5810, they are all buffered
Lacks the power search to set multiple series links across multiple channels
Series link for new programmes will pick up older series too
I have had it miss recordings
Whilst on holiday after power cut every recording was 'broken'
Everything recorded is encrypted (Freeview Play demand). When you copy programmes off in SD they are decrypted. HD recordings are transferred off encrypted, however when you put them back on the same box you can play them again
LED shows red if recording or on, blue if off. So you don't know if it's recording of off

It's better than a standard Toppy but MyStuff brings the toppy to a higher level than teh Humax.

slimgym
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Should also say that refurbished link does show FVP-5000T's as well depending upon stock. One thing I forgot is you can run multiple units as the remote has more than one code setting.

Also see

https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/fvp-4000t-5000t-freeview-play-hd-recorders.49/

Earl_Hickey
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2007 Posts: 208
Thanks slimgym

Really useful info - I'm still unsure whether to go for one. If I do I'll probably dual-run with the Toppy or a while and will keep an eye on the link for a refurbished unit. With a 1TB HD I'm not sure I'd ever need to copy stuff off it!

Do you know why it missed recordings? Bad serieslink data or just didn't record? Once missed, did it try at other times? I understand it's less critical nowadays with cacthup (especially built in like the Humax has) but still a bit annoying!

Also, can you store recordings in folders or is a flat structure?

I used to love tinkering with TAPS on the Toppy and setting up different things but when I'd found a setup that worked in MyStuff, I've not even retuned it now for a few years, hence looking at a more off the shelf replacement over the xtrend-type options.

Thanks again

slimgym
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
One failure said 'lost signal' which may have been true and following the power cut whilst we were away all the recordings just showed as broken. I may consider a time switch to give it a power cycle each morning. A lot has moved on and for me most of what I record is from the BBC and is easier using get_iplayer than on any PVR. I rarely set anything on the BBC now, using catch-up which can be watched anywhere with no time constraints.

I don't believe it will retry like the MyStuff did if it noticed the recording had failed but I can't be sure the programmes that failed were on again. As you can record so many things simultaneously I have not had any clashes to see if it will grab series links from +1 channels.

Yes I forgot to mention; you can't set or move programmes in to folders but programmes from a series get automatically placed in to their own folders named by the series.

It will also auto-delete oldest first when it gets full if you tell it to.

Do you know why it missed recordings? Bad serieslink data or just didn't record? Once missed, did it try at other times? I understand it's less critical nowadays with cacthup (especially built in like the Humax has) but still a bit annoying!

Also, can you store recordings in folders or is a flat structure?

meadfoot
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 253
Probably a silly question but will this playback over a SD TV?

I was thinking of getting one of these for our bedroom but we only have a SD TV there.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
slimgym
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
It has composite and audio out on phono's and when I bought it had it connected to a 36" SD CRT. At the time I thought it was fine. However someone gave me an old 42" 720p plasma and it was obvious the fine text in the EPG is far more readable via HDMI.

I guess it's progress Wink

Just FYI too, I bought one to bring to my hotel for night shifts and noted there were failed recordings for every programme in a series link it had missed due to it being powered off and in the back of the car.

So possible the missed recordings due to power failure is more a log of what it missed while powered off rather than an attempt to record and failing.

Laser
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 427
slimgym wrote:
I *believe* the FVP-5000T is the same as the FVP-4000T which I have and as of now the two are identical.

I'd heard that the 4000T was so slow that they quickly rushed out the 5000T with a faster CPU. Sad

I was considering a 5000T until many reviews from Humax fans complained it was worse than earlier model Humaxes, particularly speed of UI and tendency to crash. I may yet be forced down this path - perhaps you would be kind enough to answer some questions:

You mentioned in your list that the accurate record is spot on. My experience using an older Humax was not so good. So I wanted to turn on padded recording instead of accurate, but that for some reason then prevented the use of series links. Shocked Can you say if that is true of the 5000T? Even better would be accurate + padding.

Again on an older Humax, the UI was kind of non-orthogonal. So, for example, the guide would allow the info button to produce a programme description, but the list of recorded programmes would not, unless you pressed play first. Or you could schedule a recording in the guide, but not from a search result, etc. Has this improved?

The most valuable feature to me of MyStuff is the ability to say "record any series called 'xyz'" and it will, in 6 months' time pick up the new series of xyz, whilst not re-recording the 27 repeats of the earlier series. I guess your comment "doesn't do Power Search" means it can't support this behaviour?

AFAIK all PVRs, including the Toppy if you weren't running MyStuff with merge mode enabled, when recording two programmes back-to-back will "waste" a tuner for some seconds at the join, preventing a parallel recording. I assume this is still true of the 5000T, but the three tuners would now permit a second recording to be taking place at that point?

Is there a single-button click to show/hide subtitles?

Sorry for the interrogation, Wink but to be able to directly ask someone with hands-on experience is very valuable. I appreciate any help you can offer.

slimgym
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote
It (FVP-4000T) could definitely be a bit faster, as TBH could the 5810, it just seems to be the way these days. Just enough is good enough and built in obsolescence is the order.

I perused the 38 page thread on myhumax but there is no info as to whether the two differ in hardware. An internal photo of an early FVP-5000T has FVP-4000T on the PCB. I would be interested to know myself.

I should also add to my previous comment that the skip forward/back is in fact a two button operation. You press <PLAY> and then the right/left arrow skips through the programme.

Found this thread with someone saying it never ceases to amaze them how the box will be stable but following a power cut whilst on holiday miss a load of recordings. There is a suggestion a daily wake-up recording may stop this happening.

I will check out your question on the manual record and series when back at home. My reference to accurate record is more that it has not missed a recording I have set due to a failure of that, and no padding is present at the top of the recording or within the file transferred off, so I assume it starts on that signal and adds no padding.

The OK button works to get info. If you see something in the guide when you navigate to it, you can press the record button straight away or press OK to see more info and from there set a single record or series.

In the recordings, if a series, the dates are down the left hand side and the most recent recording is presented. You can use cursor keys to move to other dates and pressing OK shows you the full description and options to play or delete. If it's in progress there is an option to watch live or play from the start. Pressing the play button when the recording is highlighted plays it without needing to go in to this menu.

I have set new series and it has recorded older episodes too, e.g. "New: Can't Pay..." picks up the double episode repeats on a Saturday which are I believe older series.

Not sure on the merged recordings. It has three tuners and can record four things at once whilst watching a fifth and I have not had anything chop the end because the clashing is far less likely now. You can't tell which tuner is being used and there is only one input and output socket not a chain like the toppy.

There is a dedicated 'sub' button but I would have to check when back home if it just turns them on or puts you in to a select menu.

I agree it's important to see these things in use before you jump. My biggest criticism would be the speed of use but as I said up top that seems to be shared by most products these days. I had a look on youtube but all the videos there of these units are of the older software so don't bear much relation to how it now looks.