Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Is MyStuff no longer being developed?

Page 1 of 1
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 144
I adore MyStuff, but as far as I can make out, there hasn't been a new version in 4 years, and the official site says they haven't even started to think about the next version yet.

Have some/all members of the team abandoned it?

I'd been slowly making a list of suggestions for improvements/features in the next version, which I was going to submit. Would anyone still be interested in such a list, or am I too late? Smile
ccs
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2481
As far as I'm aware, there will be no more MyStuff updates.

In fact, I'm 100% certain.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4174
You are "too late"

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 144
LOL, OK thanks for the answer! Smile
juwlz
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Correct - there will be no more updates.

As far as I'm aware, BobD doesn't even have the development tools on his current PC.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
See BobD's post here

BobD
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Yes, just to confirm it is highly unlikely that there will be another version. There are many reasons for this:

1. Ever increasing ways to watch tv (leading to a reduction in the userbase)
2. No HD option on the toppy
3. Most of the MyStuff Team members have themselves moved onto other devices. I am probably the only member who still uses the toppy for more than a small fraction of their tv viewing
4. MyStuff does already do everything that I might want it to (or everything that I might want it to do that I would have a clue about how to even try to make it do)
5. No major bugs (that I am aware of) that need fixing.
6. Too many other things eating up my time. Life mainly.

That said, feel free to post your list of suggestions in case anything inspires me. As Juwlz says, I would have to reinstall the tools. I do have backups but my new machine is quite a different beast than the old one so I have no idea how much work it would be to build even the existing source.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
@Bobd

Many thanks for all that you and the team have done developing/supporting MyStuff.
There are a couple of things that I would have liked changed but, for the most part, it works well. I also know, from experience, how much effort it is to bring something up to production standard (rather than just for yourself).

I suggest you just enjoy the freedom you have now discovered.

Of course, if you wanted an intellectual challenge then the remaining, diminishing, user base would be delighted!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
TopTapper
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 225
Hi Geoff
Geoff Bacon wrote:
for the most part, it works well

I think you mean "brilliantly". Wink Imo, given the hardware constraints, MyStuff is a code/design marvel. Outstanding support from the MyStuff team - and beyond - has also been a tad helpful. Smile

I'll remember Topfield as a great example of community talent and generosity.
jimi
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 133
TopTapper wrote:
Hi Geoff
Geoff Bacon wrote:
for the most part, it works well

I think you mean "brilliantly". Wink Imo, given the hardware constraints, MyStuff is a code/design marvel. Outstanding support from the MyStuff team - and beyond - has also been a tad helpful. Smile

I'll remember Topfield as a great example of community talent and generosity.

I quite agree, what really surprises me is that none of the PVR manufacturers have picked up on MY Stuff, it's still better than the rest Cool

gavink
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Jul 2006 Posts: 90 Location: Hampshire
Geoff Bacon wrote:
There are a couple of things that I would have liked changed

Just as a matter of curiosity Geoff, what is that you would like to have changed?

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Not a lot really

The main one is the startup mechanism - reading every recording header when MS starts means that it can take a long time before one can start using the remote (even changing channels to watch live is almost impossible).
This would require a major effort by Bobd to try and change this mechanism (basically, he processes everything at the start so that he doesn't have to insert checks throughout the tap to verify that it's data is valid).
I keep my recordings to a minimum - I don't know how those with a 1000 odd cope.

If I was programming it, I would try and cache the header data and the corresponding directory information. When starting, MS could compare the current directory data withe the cached version and, if they are the same, assume that the recording hadn't been modified. This would eliminate the majority of the header reads (only anything unexpected would need to be checked).

Another improvement is that MS should allow you start recording when there is no EPG information. This typically happens when BBC switches a sports program at short notice and the EPG doesn't reflect the broadcast. (I know there are ways to record via the native menus but I always find this difficult as it is not a normal operation. Note: I believe part of this problem is down to EPG2MEI because, in this situation, it doesn't pass the EPG info for a running rescheduled recording to MS (the native EPG usually shows the correct information).
I have thought of writing my own version of EPG2MEI but it would take too much time and, while the logic seems simple, I don't have the design notes for EPG2MEI so might not implement everything it does.

I would like it if MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat wasn't adjusted after a channel scan (this would help me with my ToppyDiskMedic program). Basucally, oneMS has added an entry, it should keep it pretty much unaltered.

Still a great program and I use it every day.

Geoff

?
juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
The main one is the startup mechanism - reading every recording header when MS starts means that it can take a long time before one can start using the remote (even changing channels to watch live is almost impossible).
I handled it by having the Toppy automatically start up and stay on at around 6am, and shut down automatically at night. That way I rarely ever had to watch it start up at all.

Julie

TopTapper
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 225
Start up time never bothered me -- I had many hundreds of programmes (~1.2TB, most of which still needs shunting to the E2 box) across a fairly deep directory structure and I remember a 30 or 40 second delay. Patching to BBC1 on start-up meant avoiding exposure to commercial ads (which would have bothered me; I always mute them) and it was possible to change channels if you got in quickly. MyStuff was set to "Exclusive" use of the Archive (perhaps "Aggressive"). Also, as a fan of deep standby the TV took about as long to boot up so we weren't missing much, if anything.

(The E2 box is much the same from deep standby but occasionally the 5TB disk is scanned at start-up which adds 30s or so).