Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy won't boot. Help please!

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 132
After another random crash (which isn't too unusual), my TF5800 now refuses boot - the display just loops between "Load", "run" and "C4.56" every few seconds. (If I disconnect the hard drive, the default Toppy interface does work.)

Could anyone please talk me through the steps of getting it working? I can hook up to my PC with USB, but I prefer to plug in the hard drive directly, which seems faster.

I'd also quite like to do a clean install of everything (except keep all the recordings). Could anyone help?

I do have over 60 channels now, which I know is a bit dodgy. Should I install PruneEPG?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4134
18 views but no replies so here goes.

Sounds as though the disk is corrupted, is failing, or there is a tap issue.

First, have all the capacitors been changed in the psu? If not, contact anyfras to get a kit, a swap board and/or a repair (and switch it off until repaired).

Boot the toppy tapless (hold 0 down on the remote until the picture appeaars)
Assuming the toppy boots, use the remote to run fsCheck.tap (hopefully in \ProgramFiles\Utilities but may not be as you say you don't have PruneEPG installed).
Follow the online screen instructions to save the report and post it in the fsCheck Reports thread (not here).
(Use TopManager Display| fsCheck Report to retrieve for copying /pasting)

If the report (and I!) say the disk is ok, try running each tap in \ProgramFiles\Auto Save individually. After running EPG2MEI, wait 20 minutes before starting MyStuff (it may be crashing due to a corrupt EPG file and this should give EPG2MEI time to regenerate it).

Don't install PruneEPG or do anything else at this point (when trouble shooting, one shouldn't do anything that might change or mask a problem before you have determined what is the issue).

Report back what you did and what you discovered.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Hi Geoff, thank you SO MUCH for your reply! Smile

The capacitors were all replaced by Andy 3 years ago, who kindly fixed up the whole unit for me, installed the drive etc. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that stuff.

It did boot with 0 held down just now (great tip, thanks!) and fsCheck.tap reported all is OK apart from one folder with an invalid name. I might hook it up to my PC and manually delete that folder.

In the mean time, I'm going to run EPG2MEI for a while prior to starting MyStuff and see how I get on with that.

THANKS AGAIN GEOFF! Smile What would I have done without you over the years!
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I ran EPG2MEI and after a couple of seconds it crashed, the box went to the "checking files and folders" screen, then crashed again.

Any ideas? Do you still want to see the fsCheck Report?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd still like to see that fsCheck report - is will give an indication of whether the disk is on the way out (if Acronis value is 100% then the disk should be fine so no report needed).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Do you have TopManager installed on your pc? If not, please install it.

Boot tapless, and with TopManager
1) Connect
2) Display | fsCheck
Right click in display and "Select All"
Right Click and "Copy"
Add a post to the fsCheck thread I previously linked and Ctrl V (to paste)
3) Display| MyInfo Log
Copy and paste it into this thread (as above)
4) Connection| Browse
Double Click on Auto Start (left Pane)
Select EPG2MEI.tap in right pane and press F2.
Change the file extension to .tapx (this makes the toppy ignore it)
5) Try rebooting it to see if it now boots up without crashing

Note: Crashing like this used to be seen when PcControl loaded after EPG2MEI but unless you have modified something recently that is unlikely to be the cause. Recent versions of TM should ensure that this never happens. I won't give you any other instructions until I've seen the MyInfo Log.

Geoff

?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much Geoff! I renamed EPG2MEI.tap to .tapx so just going to try it now.

I posted the fscheck log on that thread, and here is my MyInfo Log:

(All this information is way over my head, but hopefully it will mean something to you.)

Code:
MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 19/9/2018 at 08:33

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 89 seconds from boot

System ID: 456
TV Output: Type = PAL, Video = RGB, RF Channel = 36
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 5.13.65

Running TAPS:
   Slot 0: EPG2MEI v0.96  :  Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
   Slot 1: MyStuff 6.6  :  UI Replacement
   Slot 2: Extend v1.7  :  Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
   Slot 3: SecCache (UK) v0.4  :  Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
   Slot 4: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6  :  Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
   Slot 5: MyInfo B5.6  :  Displays & records Toppy basic info
   Slot 6 not used
   Slot 7: PruneEPG 1.0  :  Program to remove unnecessary entries from the EIT table
   Slot 8: MHEG On/Off A3  :  MHEG control
   Slots 9 - 15 not used

Found Auto Start TAP which is no longer running: fsSave 1.1 (Filename: fsSave.tap)

Installed patch list:-  Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cp Cw Cy De Ec Ee Ef Ep Er Es F Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sl Sr St T2 Td Te Tf Tp Ts Vr Xp Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009  modified thus: -Fm-Sy
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
   MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
   Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=FmSy

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 68 TV channels and 0 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 42 are: 16, 20, 21, 26, 27, 30, 34, 37, 44, 54, 57, 61, 63, 66, 70, 80, 83, 203,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 45 are: 11, 12, 17, 23, 29, 32, 38, 40, 41, 43, 46, 48, 65, 72, 233,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 51 are: 18, 19, 22, 25, 31, 35, 36, 39, 42, 47, 62, 71, 79, 81, 206, 234,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 53 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 14, 15, 24, 28, 33, 73,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 60 are: 1, 2, 9, 201, 202, 231, 232,

Interactive Off
Timeshift On

Memory - Free: 12 MB,  Available: 9 MB
Disk - Total: 932 GB, Free: 45 GB

1001 recordings (861 GB) + 1 deleted (1 GB) in 38 folders (+ 11 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:1 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
[size=10][b]TF5800[/b], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy
 [b]TAPs:[/b] EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MHEG On/Off A3; (fsSave 1.1);
Sig generated by [url=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MyInfo/MyInfo.zip]MyInfo[/url] on 19/9/18[/size]
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
OK it's still crashing. I booted holding 0. There is now no EPG2MEI.tap in Auto Start, as expected. I ran MyStuff and it crashed immediately. Maybe I need to reinstall MyStuff or something?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the fsCheck log and MyInfo Log.

The fsCheck log indicates that the disk needs to be replaced asap.

Geoff

?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the advice (on the fsCheck thread). God bless you Geoff! Smile Thanks also for TopManager and your taps Smile
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Few quick questions (for Geoff or anyone else)…

1. I've taken a Snapshot of the program files to my computer. Can you tell me exactly how I to put the snapshot back on the Toppy? I can't see a "restore" option or anything (forgive my ignorance, I'm sure it's easy enough to do but I don't want to make any mistakes).

2. Just a detail I'm curious about... if I were to copy recording back onto a blank Toppy disk and did nothing else, I presume they wouldn't be recognised because there would be no data/info files associated with them, like the programme description? So this info must be somewhere else - in the Program Files I presume? Just wondered about this. Part of why I'm taking the snapshot is so I can reintegrate my recordings and get all the program info back.

3. As well as wanting to be able to reintegrate my recordings, I took the snapshot because I don't want to lose my MyStuff settings, timers, etc. But aside from that, I'm thinking it might be nice to have a "clean start"? Is it advisable (possible?) to copy just the snapshot of the MyStuff program files and recordings info, and not the other stuff? Then I can just reinstall the other bits and pieces like Channel Organi afresh?

4. Unrelated to this problem, but I was wondering if you know any way to retrieve programme descriptions to PC? I have a lot of episodes of a show that I want to archive to my PC, but without the episode descriptions it's impossible to know what is what.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
1) Use the SnapShot| Compare/Manage option.
For further info, use TM Help
Note: you can do the Compare now to see how it works.

2) MyStuff will rebuild it's index if it doesn't know about a file (this can take a loooooooong time on a large disk). Not restoring the MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat file would probably mean that you lose info about program s that you had recorded, watched and deleted i.e. it will result in programs being rerecorded.

3) The Snapshot options allows you to choose what files to recover

4) Info is in MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat. However, this file does not contain the name of the file that corresponds to it. This is not an issue for one off films but makes life more difficult if you are recording a series.

Geoff

?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again Geoff! Smile

I would like to only recover the "essential" files from the snapshot, however, there's so many files there, and I don't know what most of it does, so I think I'm best just copying it all back to the Toppy.

But are there any particular files that you would recommend not copying back, to try and freshen up the system? Like, files that will be automatically re-generated anyway?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I would just check the ProgramFiles box and let the Snapshot restore everything (Snapshot works on the file dates so, if you reinstall MyStuff, everything will have a mismatch on the dates).

Currently, to reinstall MyStuff, you would need to run my Build OffLine MyStuff Installer program (from my website) as the original installer no longer works.

I'm aiming to provide a new MyStuff installer in a couple of weeks. This will show you what files it changed when applied to an existing system.

My advice is to use the snapshot and then if you want to, use the imminent installer when it becomes available

Geoff

?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff Smile For now, I'll just restore the entire snapshot and think about reinstalling MyStuff at a later date.

At some point I'm going to want to update MyStuff, channel logos, and any updated firmware. I believe the MyStuff installer handles all this? I'll keep my eyes peeled for your next update, which will presumably be announced on the MyStuff forum, rather than on Bob D's site? Or is it your installers on that site?