Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Unable to copy files to TF5800

Page 1 of 1
Tabs
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi

I have had a Toppy 5800 for about 12 years running myStuff with no problems. Then about a month ago it kept rebooting/checking files, slow to respond to remote and then myStuff disappeared. It now just boots up with the original Toppy interface.

Trying to re-install myStuff kept failing when copying files from the PC to the Toppy with a 'OneCopyFile' error.

I read these forums and saw the 18 capacitors need changing. I have now changed all those capacitors but I still have the same problem of not being able to copy files to the Toppy. The remote is responsive again though.

I'm using Win10 with the z4t USB driver. I have also tried ToppyPC software and I can read files from the Toppy but I cannot install Taps.

I assume the Taps are stored in Flash and the problem I have is the Flash writes are failing. Is this a common problem and does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4123
Taps are nor stored in flah - they are stored on the disk.

The disk may have been damaged by the failing psu.
Use the remote to see if \ProgramFiles\Utilities contains fsCheck.tap or HDDInfo.tap
Run fsCheck tap if visible and look to see if it says the file system is corrupted and/or the Acronis indicator says the disk is ok. Both taps can write log files to the disk but obviously not if the disk is damaged.

I can recover files stored on a corrupted disk (but obviously this only applies to file system corruption rather than hardware failure).

You could try installing my TopManager program on the pc (link in my signature) to see if that can connect - it could just be that the toppy has the USB accelerator patches applied and the files on the pc don't handle this (TopManager doesn't care whether these patches are applied).
Rereading your post, you say you are using Win10 so I'm not sure whether or or not the USB patches are relevant.
If TM does work, use the Tools| Install Files | fsCheck (if necessary) and the Display| fsCheck options to show the analysis (cut and paste into a new post in the fsCheck Analysis thread

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Tabs
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realise I could view the taps with the remote. Result is there were no files under \ProgramFiles directory whatsoever. Also all my original recordings made with MyStuff wouldn't play, then they disappeared in the last few days. Newer ones made running with no taps have also disappeared now.

I think the HDD is failing and losing/corrupting files. I have tried a HDD format this morning followed by a reinstall of MyStuff using the offline installer. This time the installation completed quickly with no errors so files are now copied to the Toppy. It rebooted and updated the firmware but now hangs on normal bootup just after the channel information banner shows ie. before MyStuff starts to run.

If I boot holding the remote '0' button then it runs again without Taps. I can view all the installed taps under \ProgramFiles\Utilities directory. Running fsCheck.tap reports 'No issues found' and the files system is good.

Either I have a HDD problem (better now but still corrupting?!?) or the offline installer has problems. I'll try changing the HDD later with an old one I have.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect fsCheck to find any file system errors if you ran it after reformatting the disk. It should also include the SMART characteristics of the drive showing whether or not the hardware is struggling (use the HDDInfo tap to enable SMART if the fsCheck log file tells you to ).

Please post the fsCheck log in the thread I previously linked to.

You could try renaming the \ProgramFiles\Auto Start\MyStuff.tap into the \ProgramFiles folder (use the yellow(?) remote button) and reboot - if it comes up, it is the MS tap that has the issue. Wait a few minutes (20?) before starting MS manually.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
Tabs
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I have pasted the fsCheck log to the 'fsCheck Reports' link you provided.

There are a few HDD problems but how serious are they?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My [url=https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=272347#272347]observations on the fsCheck log.

Suggest you rename MyInfo.tap from the Auto Start folder and try rebooting (When the file system is corrupted, MyInfo can get stuck in a loop counting recordings). Having said that, fscheck says the structures are ok!

Geoff

?
Tabs
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I think you may be onto something with the MyInfo tap causing problems.

I had moved MyStuff.tap to the directory above and then the Toppy booted up OK. I left it for 30 minutes then browsed to the directory where MyStuff.tap, selected it with the remote OK button and the Toppy hung immediately. The only remote key that worked was the standby button although the Toppy didn't shutdown properly unless I pressed it a few times (LED display shows one dot).

I then tried another factory reset and retune. MyInfo tap appeared to be working this time (didn't do anything before) as it detected duplicate channels, deleted them and rebooted. I could then manually start the MyStuff.tap with no problems.

Moving the MyStuff.tap back to the Auto start folder and rebooting now works 100%.

Thank you very much for you time and advice getting me back up and running again. With the new caps and a reformatted HDD I hope to get a few more years out of it. Very Happy
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad it is sorted now but...
It sounds as though you are tuning using the toppy native menus.

You should always use the ChannelOrganiser tap (in \ProgramFiles\Utilities) or the TopManager/PcControl interface. These minimise duplicate channels by only scanning a subset of channels. They also remember what channels should be deleted when you need to rescan (they share this information in common files)

The toppy doesn't like it if you have channels from different transmitters so I suggest you do a rescan (using one of the above methods) to ensure you are using a single transmitter.

It would also be a good idea to post your MyInfo Log in this thread (after the rescan!)

Geoff

?
Tabs
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes you are correct. I was tuning using the Toppy native menus and always have as I didn't know about the ChannelOrganiser tap.

I'll try this tonight and see if I can get the log file.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Suggest you install TopManager on your pc; you can then use Display| MyInfo Log to retrieve the file (cut and paste into this thread).
TM can do lots of other things that you might find useful.

Geoff

?