Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Toppy Not Recognised

Page 1 of 1
Clive of India
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jan 2008 Posts: 33
Hi

Can anyone offer some advice, I’ve got Antares installed on my computer which I use to copy recordings from my Toppy onto another external hard drive.

When I have the Toppy and the external hard drive connected to my computer, using Antares I can only see recordings which I have previously copied onto the external hard drive but for some reason I can no longer see the recordings which are on the Toppy.

I don’t think it’s a fault with Antares, I think for some reason the computer has stopped recognising the Toppy can anyone tell me how to get around this problem.

Thanks for any help

Clive
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 715
I connect to the Toppy daily for backups, and I sometimes get this. I first try to connect the Toppy to a different USB port. If that quick fix fails (it often does!), I have to reboot the Toppy and the laptop, and that sorts it out for me

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4123
Can you see the recordings when viewing through the toppy ARCHIVE?
If so, the file system is probably ok and it is just a connection issue.
If not, the file system is corrupted.

Try another USB port first as previously suggested

Try TopManager (if you have it installed) - unlikely to work, but might, if Antares can't access the toppy (I'm assuming that TM wasn't running when you tried to use Antares)

What version of Windows are you running?

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Clive of India
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jan 2008 Posts: 33
Hello Geoff

When it’s connected to a laptop and viewed via Antares I can see the full list of recordings stored on it.

When connected to my computer tower Antares says PVR device not connected, I’ve tried connecting it to a different USB port as Yorkshirejumbo suggested and it makes no difference.

The version of Windows on the laptop is 7 and on the tower its 10, having said that it did work on both computers.

I’m not sure how to view the archive unless of course you mean when its connected to the TV.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:58 am Reply with quote
Yes I did mean the toppy native archve.

Does the computer ping when you connect the toppy?
If yes, windows is seeing the physical connection (try re-installing z4t. You could also try installing Topmanager as it uses a slightly different connection method from Antares)

If no, then this implies that the USB port on the pc, or the USB cable or the USB port on the toppy is faulty.
As you have tried another pc USB port, it is unlikely to be that.
You could try another usb cable if you have one (swap with that used by a printer) Alternatively, replace your printer cable with the toppy lead and see if the printer stillworks (if it does then the lead is ok).

Finally, if it is the toppy port then you are stuffed; these fail occasionally and andyfras has previously said these are not repairable (or at least not easily). Contact andy if you think this is the case.

Every now and themn someone on this site offers a "free" toppy to a "good home". Suggest you grab one so that you have something you can swap bits between (makes diagnosing easier).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
jimi
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 116
If it connects and you can see the files via a laptop but not via a pc then I'd say it's a pc problem, given its win7 on the laptop and win10 on the pc then I'd suggest it's driver related.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
As jimi says it is a Win10 pc problem.
Basically, the driver has been clobbered by a Win10 update (I'll look forward to it rolling out to my pc).

The solution is to reinstall the driver using z4t.

However, you will need to disable Win10 driver enforcement for z4t to work.
There are other posts on the subject but my handwritten notes are:

Settings
Update & Security
Recover
Advanced Startup - Restart Now

Trouble Shoot
- Advance options
- Startup setting
- Restart

On my Dell system I had to input a bit locker key to access the disk (you probably don't need to do this)

Disable driver signature enforcement (F7)
find z4t.exe (right click, and as run as administrator).

Notes:
1) Not all these steps may be necessary.
2) Write your own notes so you understand what need to be done when you need to repeat it in the future!

Geoff
PS: Keep the laptop as an alternative method of accessing the toppy!

?