Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Replacing the current HDD with a larger 1TB HDD

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
andyfras
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3427
The connectors do look the same, but one picks up the screen connection internally.

You might have to try it both ways, and will need to drill out the blanked hole at the mainboard end.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
machare
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 114
I am pleased to say that my cable worked the first time I tried and without any need to drill out holes. When I powered the PVR up I was pleased to see a warning about erasing data on the disk, so I carried on. I think the WD Green drive is quieter than the one I had before. Copying the few recordings back onto the disk using Altair is a slow process.

Thank you for your help.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 +CwOtTd
TAPs: Power Manager v1.2; Jag's EPG v3.0 Beta 5 (Freeware Edition); PcControl X25a; MyInfo B5.6;
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 144
I'm having the same problem that tim_mawby had a couple of years ago…

I load TopfHDRW and can see the files on the drive, and begin copying. Maybe 1 file will copy successfully, then I get the error:

"TopfHDRW has lost the link to the hard drive! Terminating now!"

When I re-launch the program, I get the error:

"I didn't find a Topfield PVR5000 hard drive."

I tried Tim's trick of setting compatibility to run in XP SP3 mode with admin rights, but it still didn't work. (I run Win 7 x64) The drive is always visible in device manager.

Any ideas?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4174
Does it fail immediately or after 20 mins (say).

If the latter then make sure you have disabled power saving on the USB hub/port; Windows turns devices off when the screen save kicks in (even if they are performing i/o operations!)

Actually, rereading your post, I see it fails almost immediately (1 file). Suggest you try a different USB connection.

Another though: Are you copying to or from the toppy disk? If to the disk then make sure you format it first in the toppy (don't use the options in TopfHDRW/Doctor)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Geoff, I am not using USB. (I've never done it that way because I believe USB is very slow?)

I have the Toppy hard drive connected directly to my computer using SATA power/data cables. I have always done it this way. (And that's slow enough LOL)

I am simply trying to back up recordings to my computer because long-term I want them on my PC not on the Toppy. (I assume that's fairly normal?)

Yes, I do have power saving enabled, which turns off hard drives after 20 minutes. But the disconnection is happening within 5 minutes of boot, so I don't think it could be that.

Also, I think someone told me that you have now developed better software than TopfHDRW? Is there something newer that I should be using instead? Or have I got that wrong?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4174
I didn't reallize you were connecting the disk directly to inside the pc.

Have you checked that the Jumpers aren't set so that you have two master drives on the pc bus i.e two drives on the same connector cable. If so, change the "toppy" one so that is a slave device.

USB connection is fine; I use it all the time (saves fitting the disk inside the pc and, since I now use an AllinOne pc (screen contains disk), I can't do it any other way. If you wanted to do this you would need to get a SATA to IDE connector (and probably one which can provide power) - used to be around £8 on eBay.

Yes, I have my TDM program which I use for repairing corrupted toppy disks; this has the capability of copying disks (like HDRW). However I have not released TDM for general use and have no intention of doing so.

Another alternative is that you just use Antares, via USB, to copy the files off the toppy onto a pc disk, swap the toppy disks and copy them back via Antares. It may take some time but should work ok, especially if you enable turbo mode. TopfHDRW doesn't work well for any files in the \ProgramFiles tree i.e. you should use Antares to copy these anyway.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff. I have my Toppy set up to allow easy hard drive connection to my PC...

Instead of the Toppy hard drive being connected directly to the Toppy board, I've used extension SATA cables, which I've fed out the back of the machine then straight back in again, so the only thing sticking out the back is the point where the extension connects.

So when I want to connect the Toppy hard drive to my PC, I simply unplug the SATA cables at the back of the machine and plug them into extension cables in my PC. It's extremely easy to do.

I think I used USB a long time ago but it was either slow, or unresponsive, or both, so I figured I'd have less problems with a direct connection. I did... until now.

As for the master/slave thing... Hmmm. I didn't think that applied to SATA drives and cables? I haven't thought about masters and slaves for years now!