Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Editing archive data.

Page 1 of 1
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 188
Hi,
(Can't get Search to work so this may've been answered already.)

Is there a TAP with which I can edit the heading data of an archive file.

With Antares, move xxx.rec file to my laptop.
Using VideoReDo Plus; edit out the advanced recording start, any ad's, the recording over-run, and anything else that's not required (Like the following program, for example). Then save the edited file.
With Antares, Move xxx.rec file from my laptop to Toppy.
So far - So good.
Re-boot Toppy to ensure xxx.rec file is displayed in the archive list.
Open the archive list: Select xxx.rec file, all data is exactly the same as it previously was. Most of which is fine but it's a bit of a nuisance when an edited file still shows a running time of 4.03 when it's been reduced to 2.00.

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4158
I think you would have to modify the Tap Header at the start of the recording.

This contains a number saying the duration in minutes. It also contains the start and stop times so you might want to modify the stop time as well.

When MyStuff starts, it reads every recording header and matches them against MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat (this is why it takes so long to load). This file, editable with something like Notepad, also contains a duration in minutes so you might find you could just change it there (depends on whether MS uses this field when matching the entries).

MS needs to be shutdown while you copy/edit/replace this file.

You might get somewhere with tfRecEdit ; I didn't!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Please be aware that editing a recording by cutting bits out of it will mean that, in the event of a disk corruption, you won't be able to recover it using the TopfHDDoctor scan method (or my TDM program). These programs follow the data streams inherent in a recording to determine the order of clusters (file fragments) ; editing out a section breaks the sequence.

TDM (Toppy Disk Medic) can recover such recordings but only if you have installed my fsSave tap (this captures the locations of each cluster and eliminates the need to following the stream data).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
I think you would have to modify the Tap Header at the start of the recording.
Geoff
Yes, exactly, but I can't find how to get to it.

Geoff Bacon wrote:
You might get somewhere with tfRecEdit ; I didn't!
Geoff
Neither did I. Sad

Leaving the model option as 5800 I can get tfRecEdit to display the start and end times recorded (I think) and that the file has been edited by VideoReDo, but that's all and obviously that's not much help.
Using the option 'Other' produced nothing at all, and there's no 5810 option.

Following the other links opened a load more not very helpful stuff... Ok if you're a programmer maybe, but not to me, I only know VB.NET, and I'm not as good at that as I'd like to be. Probably not even as good as I think I am !

Poppa.

I just noticed that you said the Tap header... Is that different to the xxx.rec header?

Pop.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
I meant rec header

?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Poppa Mintin wrote:

With Antares, move xxx.rec file to my laptop.
Using VideoReDo Plus; edit out the advanced recording start, any ad's, the recording over-run, and anything else that's not required (Like the following program, for example). Then save the edited file.
With Antares, Move xxx.rec file from my laptop to Toppy.
So far - So good.

Poppa.

HHMmmm..... Just discovered what was wrong !
I usually save my edited files in xxx.vob format, which I did in this case, but then this time I also saved the edited file as xxx.rec in order to move it back into Toppy.
Then I moved the new file back into Toppy... Except I didn't, I moved the original xxx.rec file back in! Duh !!

Only discovered my error when I came to play it back... No edits !
I just re-did it, with the right file this time, and after a Toppy re-start the new running length is correct.

Problem solved.

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
As mentioned before, you should install my fsSave tap (use TM Tools| Install File).
This takes a snapshot of the file system when it boots (after about 5 mins, takes about 5 seconds)
Should you then suffer a disk corruption, I will be able to recover edited recordings for you. Without fsSave, TDM (my program) and/or TopfHDDoctor will only be able to recover the recording up to the first edit point.

Other members you use the CutAds tap, or the native toppy editing mechanism, are also advised to install fsSave

Alternatively, you could keep copies of all edited recording on your pc, so that in the event of a corruption, you can just copy them back again.

I suggest you install fsSave, and keep copies on the pc (best of both worlds)

Geoff
PS: You may have already installed fsSave (but it doesn't show in your signature block)

?