Poppa Mintin
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 188
Hi,

I'm getting a warning:
Quote:
Fatal error
Cannot write flash data
I can remove it with the Exit button, generally it returns soon after, I clear it again and it might remain off for quite some time. This can happen when maybe I've paused a live program and then un-paused it (Is un-paused a real word?). It happens less often when I'm playing a recorded file, but if I pause or jump it might happen once in a while.

Lately also I'm getting a warning, I didn't make a note of the actual phrase, but it's something like...
Quote:
No signal at reciever 1
...Although the TV itself is still receiving a signal, but sometimes it reports a poor signal. The aerial signal to the TV is via Toppy's 'Antenna out'. Generally these two events are at about the same time.

I have tried doing a services search, my local transmitter is Emley Moor, which is less than 8 miles away 'as the crow flies' but I can also get signals from a couple of other transmitters, so in order to avoid clashing with these I manually search Mux' 44, 47, 48, 51 and 52. I've done this a few times lately when the 'No signal' warning appears and have found that the signal strength and signal quality bar-graphs for these Mux' show no signal at all, usually these bar-graphs are both at about 100% for these five Mux'.

Emley Moor is having a new mast erected so I wondered if work being done there is causing interference but as this can happen a peak times I sort of doubt that the engineers would allow that. Here's an odd thing though which enhances my doubt, if I do a re-boot all the Mux's are back to full strength. Any ideas what's happening?

I've very recently had a problem with re-starts, "The Dreaded Start-up Loop" as one member calls it. With help from the guys here I got that sorted out, but having done that, I wanted to use the ChannelOrganiser TAP to remove a load of channels but couldn't get it to work, so I tried to re-install it but only succeeded in resurrecting 'The Loop'.
So... I went through the repair sequence again but it took several attempts to clear it. It was suggested at that time that if disconnecting the HDD didn't cure the problem it wasn't likely to be a problem with the HDD.
Disconnecting the HDD didn't cure the problem.

So now I'm wondering if the 'No signal' problem has a bearing on the start-up problem, if say, Toppy is trying to open the channel it was running when I put it in standby but that channel isn't available.

One last thing, I wanted to use the ChannelOrganiser TAP because it was taking an age to remove each channel manually, but now as I can't use that TAP, I'll do it manually but I can't find how to navigate to the function to do it !

Poppa.

TF8510PVRt

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4158
No idea what the underlying cause is.

But, I suggest you don't try rescanning each time to fix the problem (you've tried that already). So just sort out your current channel lineup and try other things.

Have the capacitors been changed on the PSU ? (they probably have but if not, contact Andy Fraser).

As you have PcControl in your signature, you could try using the TopManager| PcControl| Channel Management Screen to delete unwanted channels (no need to rescan if you have all the channels you want). Having sorted out the channels, leave well alone until there is a good reason to rescan (like published channel changes).

Do you have a spare toppy? If so, swap the disks and use the spare with the current disk. You could also try using the current toppy with the spare disk; if that still has the problem then that shows it is toppy rather than disk related.
If you don't have a spare then keep an eye on this site; they occasionally get offered for free or the cost of the postage.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
When was the clock battery (CR2032) changed on your 5810 ?

andyfras says this can lead to a corrupted flash (amongst other things) (you added to the linked thread in March so perhaps you have already done this)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
1. Have the capacitors been changed on the PSU ?
2. As you have PcControl in your signature, you could try using the TopManager| PcControl| Channel Management Screen to delete unwanted channels.
3. Do you have a spare toppy?
4. When was the clock battery (CR2032) changed on your 5810 ?
Geoff

1. Yes, but not for a while, 6 years would be a reasonable guess.
2. Good idea, worked very well.
3. No spare Toppy.
4. No idea, I do remember doing it sometime, may well've been when I changed the cap's, although I suspect it was later. Since it can't do any harm to replace it again, I'll do that when I can squeeze it in amongst all the 'House moving' jobs SWMBO has for me.

Thanks Geoff, I'll update when I have something useful to report.

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
You posted about the battery on Tue 17th March 2018; I had assumed you had done it!

Geoff

?
ccs
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2472
Cheap batteries don't last long, buy a genuine reputable brand.

ccsx
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
You posted about the battery on Tue 17th March 2018; I had assumed you had done it!
Geoff

Until two days ago I'd not had the lid off Toppy for several years, I've had a look at the post to which you refer and suspect I meant I'd changed it when I changed the cap's. When I took the lid off to disconnect the HDD I certainly didn't even look at the clock battery.

I may get a chance to get a new battery tomorrow (Tuesday), I've got some old ones, no idea how long I've had 'em, not much point in doing a 'temporary' replacement... That's just doubling the work.

Poppa.

Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Poppa Mintin wrote:
Until two days ago I'd not had the lid off Toppy for several years.

I may get a chance to get a new battery tomorrow (Tuesday)

Poppa.

Bought New CR2032 and fitted one about 24 hours ago as of now.
Toppy has behaved itself since then, so far so good. Strange thing is... the battery I took out shows 3.26Vdc (Off-load, of course)

Changing the battery seemed sort-of familiar as though I'd done it recently but I really don't remember doing so. Seems like typical problem of advancing years.

Might be a bit early to state it's fixed but it's looking good.

Poppa.

alan_m
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3466
Poppa Mintin wrote:

Changing the battery seemed sort-of familiar as though I'd done it recently but I really don't remember doing so. Seems like typical problem of advancing years.

I have a Brother labelling machine and attach labels with the date when changing batteries in smoke or burglar alarms. Even though it may seem like yesterday when I've checked the burglar alarm I find that the battery was actually replaced nearly 3 years ago and its time to consider a replacement.

I also attach labels with dates to major purchases and am often surprised when seeing them again how long I’ve had some equipment.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I write the date with an indelible marker

Geoff

?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Just a quick up-date.

Toppy has been running correctly since changing the RTC battery 4 weeks ago.

I've had one instance of the 'No signal' error but that was the day following the battery change, and may still be something to do with the new transmitter mast installation, although it cleared after a Toppy re-start. (Coincidence ?)

Poppa.