Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Time for change

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
The server on which this site runs is now very old; it's so old that there's an additional charge levied by the hosting company for keeping it going, in fact.

Given that I'm essentially earning very little at the moment (one published article in two years!), I would very much like to turn it off.

Traffic here is obviously much less than it used to be, and so I think the volume could easily be accomodated on the server that runs in my office, on the end of my DSL line - that has an 80/20 VDSL connection which, while not brilliant, is probably sufficient for the forum these days. Moving will also offer the opportunity to update and move everything to https.

Comments welcome.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Jul 2006 Posts: 90 Location: Hampshire
I think all we Toppy users are very grateful that you've done so much over the years to keep the site going Nigel and we'd all hate to lose it. Anything that enables you to keep the site online with the minimum problems for you, sounds good to me.

Quote:
I think the volume could easily be accomodated on the server that runs in my office

I'd say yes, do it.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4158
and that is a thank you from me as well.

Given a choice between a potentially slower server and no server at all, I'd vote for you moving it!

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3424
I agree too.

Thanks Nigel for keeping it going so far and for offering to continue, at least for a while longer.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Go for it. And many thanks for continued hosting.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to do this in bits, starting with the main site; though to an extent, I'm wondering how much of that is even still really relevant any more - are there any TAPs still being updated, for example?

And of those people who have a space to upload files to the server, how many envisage still needing to do so?

There's obviously some historical value to what's on the site, but I'm trying to think of ways that - with the minimum of effort - I can reduce the attack surface that's presented by all the scripts.

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4217
Let me add my thanks for all the time, money and effort you have spent in providing this site, and hosting (amoung others) my MyStuff page.

As others have said, do whatever you need to/want to do, especially if that leaves the site up and running.

I doubt very much that there will be any MyStuff TAP updates at this late stage (having been none for so long). Keeping the existing MyStuff site going without any updates would be nice, but I could always take backups to host somewhere else if need be.

Thanks again Nigel.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
jimi
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 131
I'm with the others, both in thanks for your time, effort and money in keeping the site going and agreeing that a slower server is better than no server.
If it hadn't been for this site and all theI'd never have learned how to get the best out of probably the most useful and used piece of consumer electronics I've ever owned
Thanks again to all who have contributed their time effort and knowledge.

Laser
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 431
Couldn't agree more. This site has been an extremely valuable resource with friendly members and constructive discussion. Many thanks to Nigel for his past and ongoing efforts with the site.

Certainly you should not feel obliged to pay for everyone else's convenience. I'm very grateful you're prepared to take the time and effort to switch to the cheaper option rather than just call it a day. I'm sure we'll get by just fine.

Darucla
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1541
I bought my first Toppy in 2005, and it still sits beneath my TV. I just don't use it.

I joined this forum about the same time, and I still log in, but honestly, I don't really use it any more. It's just for sentiment and some stability in this ever changing world.

I frequently find myself thinking that it is frankly amazing how this site is still running. Possibly the most active threads now are actually about the Enigma 2 machines. Which could do with a proper forum that isn't run by the hard heads at WOS/Vix/whatever.

Anyway, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law".
albertd
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 560
As a past Toppy user whose box gave up recently, I would like to add my thanks to Nigel for keeping this site going for so long. I still take an interest and dip in to the forum regularly. I would mourn its passing but, fortunately, no longer rely upon it.

I really enjoyed using the Toppy and it has spoiled me for anything else, but it was getting to be a bit of a worry, especially in lift conditions when an unexpected appearance of some other transmitter behind Crystal Palace could have wiped my disk - again! While I was not planning on retiring the Toppy, I suppose in a way it is a bit of a relief that it seems to have declared itself retired.

Thanks also to all the other users who provided me with assistance in keeping the box going for the 8 years use I had out of it.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1348 Location: Bristol, U.K.
I gave up my Toppy years ago but I still look in here every day. I'd like to add my thanks to Nigel for making it all possible for so long.

Nigel should do whatever works best for him. Whether a 'Toppy-lite' site continues or whether it now closes with honour, Nigel's place in the Toppy Pantheon is assured Very Happy .

Best wishes to all,

André Coutanche
TopTapper
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 224
Me too! Nigel, you've done a great thing and if you can keep the resource ticking over with minimum inconvenience then 'thanks' some more.

By the way, from what I remember, your writing was excellent -- don't let the beggars get you down!

Cheers,
Martin
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
OK, hopefully, this has all gone more or less smoothly, and you should notice that all connections are now served via https.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 560
Looking good so far. I didn't even get logged out. Very Happy