Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  My Website www.myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/ Will Close Soon

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
EMJB
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3629 Location: Maldon Essex
Unfortunately TalkTalk, who took over Tiscali, have decided to shut down their web space service, so from the middle of next month you will be unable to access the information & downloads from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/ [Edit - Address corrected 7/6/2018]. At present I have no plans to replace it, so would everyone please ensure they have downloaded anything likely to be of interest to them, and use Geoff Bacon's site for updates to the Channel Organiser data files.

EMJB

Last edited by EMJB on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 131
Shocked Shocked

How did you find that out ? I too have a website on Tiscali webspace

jimi
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked

albertd
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 560
Despite initial appearances, EMJB's site is still working for now, but it did not like the www prefix.
It is still at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/

Edit: EMJB's original post now corrected.

Last edited by albertd on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
jimi wrote:
Shocked Shocked

I also have some TalkTalk webspace, and got an email saying that would close on 16/7/2018. Contacted TalkTalk, who (eventually) said it would apply to the Tiscali webspace.

EMJB

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
albertd wrote:
Despite initial appearances, EMJB's site is still working for now, but it did not like the www prefix.
It is still at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/

Apologies - will correct initial post.

EMJB

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 224
Hi EMJB
EMJB wrote:
information & downloads from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/EMJB

I just wanted to take the chance to convey thanks for the great contribution -- I've been enjoying the benefits for a good number of years.

Cheers!
Martin
jimi
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I only have Tiscali webspace and haven't received any notification of of any closures Mad Sad not a happy camper. I may have a solution through another interest of mine, might be able to host your taps as well, if your interested? (free Wink)

EMJB
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
jimi wrote:
I only have Tiscali webspace and haven't received any notification of of any closures Mad Sad not a happy camper. I may have a solution through another interest of mine, might be able to host your taps as well, if your interested? (free Wink)

I think TalkTalk have a problem with features inherited from the Tiscali take-over, in that the support staff do not understand what exists. It would not entirely surprise me if the Tiscali stuff survives for a while after mid-July, but to depend on that would be foolish. I have some features left over from LineOne which continue to work, but I cannot update passwords etc.

Thanks for the offer of possibly hosting my TAPs. However as I have no plans to update any existing TAPs** or write new ones, the only files that I expect to need updating are the CO data files which Geoff Bacon is looking after. Presumably there are going to be very few if any new Toppy owners (and certainly no owners of new Toppies!), so I am not sure whether there is a need for anything else to be hosted. However if you or anyone else would like to host them, feel free to copy anything you like from my site before it dies.

EMJB

** I still retain my TAP-writing facilities, and still use my Toppy, so if something were to happen to stop a TAP working or make a related new TAP highly desirable I would still be in a position to do an update, but this seems to be a very remote possibility.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4158
The closure of EMJB's site means that the MyStuff installer will no longer work.

I am currently knocking together a new version of my "Build Offline MyStuff Installer". When available, this will be faster than the current Online installer because it only needs to download 4 distribution files and accesses just two web sites (my GeeCeeBee site and Gramps's Logos).

I'm still considering what else to add to my site e.g. TopManager allows one to download several files that are currently stored on EMJB's site.

On behalf of many toppy users, I would just like to publicly thank EMJB for all the programs he has developed/hosted over the years. Also, thank you for all your help in the development of my own programs. It is also nice to know that, should the need arise, you still have the facilities to help us out in the future.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
andyfras
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3424
Geoff Bacon wrote:
On behalf of many toppy users, I would just like to publicly thank EMJB for all the programs he has developed/hosted over the years.

Seconded. EMJB's work is one of the main reasons that the Toppy has been able to continue as long as it has.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
jimi
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:

I think TalkTalk have a problem with features inherited from the Tiscali take-over, in that the support staff do not understand what exists. It would not entirely surprise me if the Tiscali stuff survives for a while after mid-July, but to depend on that would be foolish.

I thnk your probably correct, I'm still able to upload files and modify my sites but as you say it would foolish to rely on that continuing. It's not so much the loss of the space that annoys me, all my data (in fact the complete sites are backed up) is safe, it's more the way it's been done and the fact that there are links to my articles and images all over the web that will cease to function even after I have arranged alternative hosting as I don't believe TT will offer any kind of redirection facility Evil or Very Mad

EMJB wrote:

Thanks for the offer of possibly hosting my TAPs. However as I have no plans to update any existing TAPs** or write new ones, the only files that I expect to need updating are the CO data files which Geoff Bacon is looking after. Presumably there are going to be very few if any new Toppy owners (and certainly no owners of new Toppies!), so I am not sure whether there is a need for anything else to be hosted. However if you or anyone else would like to host them, feel free to copy anything you like from my site before it dies.

If I can get things arranged the way I hope I'll probably take up that offer and host the files (probably the complete site) I'll post up on how it goes.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I have just updated the Freeview.dat and FvTxData.tsv files on the GeeCeeBee site.

Please use TopManager| Tools| Install Files to update your toppies.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
meadfoot
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 255
Sorry to tell you this Geoff but several channels have changed today and one added

Sony Crime from 60 to 40
Sony Crime+1 from 69 to 60
TruTV+1 from 92 to 69
Rocks & co from 40 to 92

Paramount added to 57

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/07/sony-crime-channel-climbs-up-freeview.html

https://twitter.com/ukdtt

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
@meadfoot

Thanks for the info; I've just updated the web version

@all: Please note that I don't intend updating the files each time the Freeview lineup changes; I'm only intending doing it every now and then e.g. every 2 months say (and only if I remember)

Geoff

?