Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  TF5810 starts-up with Limited Functionality.

Page 1 of 1
bunyan
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Hi,
My TF5810 [8 years old] has developed the start-up problem described in Symptoms below.
It was operating normally, with MyStuff, in mid-March when I went for holidays over a 6 week spell. I'd selected to record the episodes of two programmes whilst I was away and there was 27% capacity available. Those selections failed to record.
As a 'long-in-the-tooth-plug?n?play' Toppy owner, who does not have the knowledge and skills that many of your contributors have, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that might be offered including directions to a previous post [or posts which I didn?t find in my search] where similar symptoms to mine have been discussed.
I would advise that the time displayed on the Toppy fascia when in Standby is correct. I had a problem with that a few years back but I followed advice and instructions on this forum and replaced the battery.

Symptoms.
When I first switch the Toppy ON it appears to boot up normally displaying 'C457/Loading/Run' but it has limited functionality and is without MyStuff. I can select and view channels, the Topfield EPG can be selected and viewed and channels in that EPG can be selected in order to change programmes but the Record button on the remote does not function. The button on the remote which should access the recorded files [or library] does not function and when the Main Menu button is selected the 'File List ' section is ghosted out.
However, if I then carry out a 'hard reboot', [which I recall reading about on this forum, i.e. switching OFF and immediately back ON] the Toppy will start-up with MyStuff and it apparently has all normal functionality. I am able to select programmes to record from the MyStuff EPG and I can view and play recorded programmes from my library.
If I leave the Toppy ON it will record the programmes selected from the MyStuff EPG - including recording both parts of a film where that has been split into two sections. If I press the OFF button during a recording I get the usual MyStuff advice that it will shut-down after recording ? and it does so.
But, if I switch the Toppy OFF some time before a recording selected in the MyStuff EPG starts, it will switch ON at the correct time, as if to record the programme, but it will not actually record because it will be back into the limited functionality mode.

I have found that if I switch the Toppy OFF and connect a USB lead to my old Windows Vista machine then switch the Toppy ON again it will start-up in limited functionality mode. When I open the Altair program the Toppy appears to be completely devoid of any content. No folders are visible.
However, if I then carry out a 'hard reboot' and it re-starts with MyStuff I can then view the folders in the Toppy, via Altair. I can open up the data folder and subfolders that I?ve created, containing my library of recordings.

Rightly or wrongly, with my limited knowledge, I have carried out a couple of actions in the hope that they might assist the Toppy. Firstly I did a manual rescan of the 5 Mux channels from my local transmitter, Sandy, [beginning with a factory reset] and then I manually deleted the majority of the downloaded stations - since I don?t use them.
Secondly I wondered whether updating MyStuff might provide some benefit. During installation of that update I was asked if I wanted to delete MyStuff 6.4 files, which I agreed to, and I also accepted all of the suggested Taps during the installation but then the notification below appeared so I assume I wasn't able to update MyStuff.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
TAP INSTALLER V7

Sorry, there were problems during your installation.
The Instal log file will include any error messages you missed and thus may help resolve any problems. It can be opened now by pressing F1, or later by opening MyStuff Installer_log.txt to be found in the directory from which this set up program was run.

If you need support, please post in the MyStuff Installer thread at http://forum.toppy.co.uk

Regards

EMJB

I immediately tried using the F1 key on my Vista machine but the Instal log file didn't appear. Also I couldn't find 'MyStuff Installer_log.txt' on the web-page <http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml> from which I obtained the 'MyStuff 6.6 set up' program. I haven't yet sought support from EMJB or others regarding that Instal log file since I feel that update has probably been affected by whatever fault I've got in the Toppy.

Perhaps I should just accept that my 8 years old Toppy has an inherent fault and I should either just leave it on all the time or 'hard reboot' it every day. The latter appears to be the best option from both an energy/environmental aspect and to comply with putting it into standby at least once a day, as I?ve read on these forums.

Stuart
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4091
I'm guessing that your PSU (power supply unit) is starting to fail and you need to have all the capacitors changed. Suggest you contact andyfras for details. This will involve sending him the whole toppy. Alternatively, if you are happy delving inside the box, you could just send him the psu board or, if he is still doing it, use his psu board swap service. He also offers a capacitor kit if you are confident to solder yourself (suggest you go for one of the other options).

Switch it off until the psu has been fixed (to prevent damage to other bits).
You should also swap the CR3032 battery behind the faceplate at the same time (this maintains the clock).

Should the need arise, I can recover data on a corrupted toppy disk but you need to send the disk to me.

Suggest you keep visiting the the forum on a regular basis; every now and then someone offers their old toppy for free or the price of the postage. Having more than one toppy helps when trying to diagnose problems e.g. swap disk to see if problem moves.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
bunyan
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff for your suggested actions and advice.
I used to have, but I don't now have, the confidence to solder replacement capacitors into the PSU board. So I'll reflect on whether I should contact andyfras to see if he still does and would repair that board.

Thank you also for your offer of recovering data from the Toppy's disk should that arise and I'll also watch out to see if anyone is interested in offering their old Toppy for free.

Stuart
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
andyfras does still offer the service so send him a pm.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
ccs
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2449
bunyan wrote:
I immediately tried using the F1 key on my Vista machine but the Instal log file didn't appear. Also I couldn't find 'MyStuff Installer_log.txt' on the web-page <http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml> from which I obtained the 'MyStuff 6.6 set up' program.
The log file will be in the directory (on your pc) where you ran the installer from.

ccsx
bunyan
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff and ccs, I'll follow up on what you've said.

Stuart
bunyan
Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Geoff Bacon was correct in diagnosing the problem with my Toppy. My thanks to Geoff for suggesting I got in touch with andyfras regarding his replacement PSU 'service'.

After sgreeing things with andyfras he promptly posted a replacement PSU to me. I received it yesterday afternoon, Friday May 11th, including very clear instructions for changing-over the PSU boards so I did that last evening. I've posted my old PSU board back to andyfras this afternoon.

So far everything appears to be back to normal with the Toppy, MyStuff being present from start-up and providing 'normal functionality', so I'm very pleased to see it back. If anything the Toppy is responding a bit quicker than it was prior to it having 'limited functionality' so I guess it was declining for some time before it became a significant problem.

It is very good and kind of andyfras to provide that PSU board replacement 'service' and I would like to extend my, gratitude to him for having done so.

Stuart
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know it is all sorted and also thank you very much for your pm thanking me for helping you.

Geoff

?