Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  New connection problem

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
albertd
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 560
Thanks Alan. That looks horribly complicated, so I will need a few days to digest it. There seems no point in me trying to boot Tap-less as there are, as far as I know, no Taps currently there.

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
If I go down the EmptySettings route and it works, will my firmware still be the same latest version. or will it go back to the original and need updating?

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2472
albertd wrote:
Thanks Alan. That looks horribly complicated, so I will need a few days to digest it. There seems no point in me trying to boot Tap-less as there are, as far as I know, no Taps currently there.
Booting tapless makes it more likely the toppy will load. You might think there aren't any taps, but the toppy will always try (and fail in your case).

ccsx
ccs
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2472
albertd wrote:
If I go down the EmptySettings route and it works, will my firmware still be the same latest version. or will it go back to the original and need updating?
Emptysettings effectively just does a factory reset, the firmware should still work as normal.

It is not complicated.

ccsx
albertd
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks ccs. I did try the Tap-less start and it came to life, up to a point. The picture came up without the info bar remaining and the clock is now correct.

I was then able to run Antares again. I still saw nothing in the left hand pane, but I tried another transfer of my latest backup, which appeared to work. After that, Antares was still showing no files in the Toppy, but looking on the TV with the native menu I could see the Program Files structure. I tried running the SignalMonitor Tap from there but nothing happened and I could no longer control using the remote. I then had to reboot Tap-less to get back to it.

I am getting rather weary, so I might not try anything else for now.

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4157
If you can, try running fsCheck (in ProgramFiles\Utilities) , this should hopefully give you an indication of the hardware state of the disk; if that is failing, TM won't connect and may explain why Antares is also giving funnies.

If anyone else offers a free or cheap Toppy or cheap then take them up on it. If you had a spare, this would allow you to identify whether a problem lies with the pc or the toppy.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
albertd
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff. The earliest I will be able to try fsCheck is tomorrow morning.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
I attempted to run fsCheck this morning, but nothing obvious happened apart from the word FILE appearing on the front panel display and the remote locking up.

Even if it had run, I would probably not have been able to extract the results as Antares has not been displaying any Toppy files.

PS. I did try EmptySettings, but it did not help. Still needed Tap-less start and Antares not working properly. However, I guess it confirmed that the PC/USB side of things is working as the process operated as described in the instructions.

=========

Sad Sad

Much as I would like to get it going again, this is all getting a bit too stressful for me, what with other problems in my life, and I think I will probably have to give up on it. I don't think I want to start again with another Toppy even if one became available in perfect condition.

I have had nearly 8 years of faithful service from the Toppy and I love MyStuff compared with other UIs, but I suspect this is the end. In addition, I have made some nice friends here, which has been good.

Sad Sad

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
More in hope than anticipation, I switched the Toppy right off for an hour and then removed it from where it has been sitting all these years. I then took the top off to see if, by any remote chance, any plugs had become dislodged, but with my limited knowledge I found nothing. I wiggled the plug on the end of the hard disk, but it seemed firm.

Anyway, no joy. Tried it again and the results were the same. I did try an Antares transfer of the Utilities files, but it didn't succeed.

So the Toppy has not been returned to its place and has been retired.

I take it nobody wants a defunct 5800 to play with, or for spares, these days - I know Andy said he wanted no more a while back.