Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  5810 PVRt fails after channel scan

Page 1 of 1
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 168
Hi,
Since performing a channel scan I can only get the one channel. The scan apparently completed correctly, but showed no change from prior to the scan, I figured I needed to restart Toppy.
Toppy went into standby apparently correctly, but when I restarted:

Toppy started as normal, and the channel name was displayed on Toppy front panel.
The TV shows:
(Toppy channel) 1, BBC ONE Yorks, Ch 47, two very full bars, and 00:24.
I waited for the 'L' and 'S' roundels to appear, but neither came. Nothing else happened.

So, I tried to change channel, the remote control was ignored, except the 'Signal received' indicator blinks. I tried the manual buttons on the Toppy. No difference.

Reading through the Toppy forums I discovered that there's a battery to change, mine must've been in since I bought Toppy many years ago. Toppy now has a new battery, this has made no difference.

I can access Toppy with Antares, but am confused as to what I ought to do to correct my problem. Also confused how to go further, I don't want to loose any of the recordings on the hard drive if I can avoid doing that.

My guess is that there are too many channels registered since the up-date scan... I usually use the manual method to restrict the search to my local transmitter, but couldn't find the list and figured I'd only have to remove the ones I didn't want, but as it turns out I can't do anything... I'm hoping I can remove most of these excess channels, if that's likely to be the problem, with Antares to get Toppy responding. Then maybe do a manual scan as usual.

Quote:
How do I start up without any TAPs?

Normally, when the Toppy starts, it automatically loads any TAPs that are in the Auto Start folder. You can stop this from happening by holding down the 0 button on the remote control as you start the PVR up, until you start to see the aspect ratio of the screen change.

I can't put Toppy into standby, it's not responding !

Actually, ' it's not responding ! ' isn't quite true... When I press the remote control 'Power' button, Toppy's display changes to 'Wait'... but that's all that happens. Toppy doesn't close, the TV continues to show exactly the same as described above.

I switch Toppy off by switching power off. Then holding down the Zero button (pointing at Toppy) I switch the power back on, Toppy starts as described above... No change.

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4082
How were you doing the scan?

Were there any toppy problems before hand?

I'm assuming your capacitors have been changed

Did you reconnect everything correctly after swapping the battery?

You should never do a manual scan - you should always use TopManager/PcControl or the ChannelOrganiser tap; and other method is time consuming and likely to lead to errors.

Have you tried switching off for 2 mins to give a cold reset?
When it boots, can you access the Archive or or you locked into the menus and/or channel?

Geoff

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
How were you doing the scan?

Were there any toppy problems before hand?

I'm assuming your capacitors have been changed

Did you reconnect everything correctly after swapping the battery?

You should never do a manual scan - you should always use TopManager/PcControl or the ChannelOrganiser tap; and other method is time consuming and likely to lead to errors.

Have you tried switching off for 2 mins to give a cold reset?
When it boots, can you access the Archive or or you locked into the menus and/or channel?

Geoff

1. Went into Toppy setup and selected scan: left it on auto, and selected run.
2. No, no previous problems.
3. Yes capacitors changed at least ten years ago.
4. Didn't disconnect anything when changing the battery. Didn't change the battery until I was looking through FAQs after problem occurred.
5. Yes, I had it powered off for at least 5 minutes before re-trying.
6. I think I can access all the hard drive, but only with Antares, yes I can see all the recordings... would take forever to download all the stuff I want to save. (Assuming Antares will actually work). I've had problems with Antares since the advent of Windows 10.

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
"Capacitors changed at least 10 years ago" probably means that they weren't all changed . Scanning may have caused issues with the ones not changed.

Suggest talking to andy fraser.
If he thinks your caps are ok then you can try doing another scan using the ChannelOrganiser tap (should be in \ProgramFiles\Utilities).
Suggest you only use this (or TopManager/PcControl) for future scans.

"I think I can access all the hard drive"
Does this mean that you can't access it from the native Archive?

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Suggest talking to andy fraser.
If he thinks your caps are ok then you can try doing another scan using the ChannelOrganiser tap

"I think I can access all the hard drive"
Does this mean that you can't access it from the native Archive?
Geoff

I can't do Anything with Toppy... Other than power it on and off.

This includes accessing native Archive or doing another scan.

It's my belief that the capacitors I changed back then were all electrolytic and therefore most likely to be associated with the power supply and hardly likely to have any function connected with a scan.

I'm hoping I can do something with Antares. Hoping Antares can do something it's not actually intended for... like deleting the scan, or better still just deleting selected parts of it.
Maybe there's another computer tool I can use to do that ?

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
It sounds to me as though you may need the rest of the capacitors changed (scanning is "stressful" for the toppy )

You won't be able to do anything with standard Antares operations to "stop the scan"; it has no way it can affect anything like that.

However, you could use it to flush the firmware with emptysettings.tfd (google for it, I've never used it). From what I remember, EmptySettings is used to perform a reset on the box when you can't perform a reset from the native menus (have you tried a native reset?)

Ask andy for advice on how to proceed.

Geoff

PS: I can recover the data on the disk (should the need arise).

?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
You could use it to flush the firmware with emptysettings.tfd
Geoff
Thanks Geoff, getting somewhere now.

Downloaded and followed instructions for 'emptysettings.tfd '.
So far so good...

Toppy responding to controls again now.
I'm trying to follow your recommendation regarding scanning with TopManager (I have that installed on my laptop).
Sadly, I've hit another snag.
Quote:
Estimated scan time = 322 seconds
Preparing
* Turning off EPG collection
* Stopping MyInfo
* Suppressing use of Remote Control
* Pausing Taps
* Stopping EPG2MEI tap
* Turning on EPG collection ...
<<< FetchToppyFile failed to copy \ProgramFiles\PcControl\PccReport.txt
<<< SendCommandAndWait: Error returned by FetchToppyFile
Connection Lost: NoConnection, LockedInScreen, ScanRequested, TapsArePaused, HaveOldLCNs, TimersSaved, EPG2MEIstopping, EPG2MEINeedsRestart, RCUInhibited
Scan Completed (Actual scan time = 11 seconds)

Connection Lost: NoConnection, LockedInScreen, ScanRequested, TapsArePaused, HaveOldLCNs, TimersSaved, EPG2MEIstopping, EPG2MEINeedsRestart, RCUInhibited
This has happened four times now.

(TopManager v5.0
Scan for updates found no updates for TopManager)

Poppa.

ccs
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2448
I'd try Channel Organiser - all you need then is a toppy connected to an aerial.

Boot tapless first by holding down the zero key when you switch on.

ccsx
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Poppa Mintin wrote:

I'm trying to follow your recommendation regarding scanning with TopManager (I have that installed on my laptop).
Sadly, I've hit another snag.
Quote:
Estimated scan time = 322 seconds
Preparing
* Turning off EPG collection
* Stopping MyInfo
* Suppressing use of Remote Control
* Pausing Taps
* Stopping EPG2MEI tap
* Turning on EPG collection ...
<<< FetchToppyFile failed to copy \ProgramFiles\PcControl\PccReport.txt
<<< SendCommandAndWait: Error returned by FetchToppyFile
Scan Completed (Actual scan time = 11 seconds)

This has happened four times now.

(TopManager v5.0
Scan for updates found no updates for TopManager)

Poppa.
Embarassed

I'd had a busy day and it was getting late... That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

Right click on the desktop icon for TopManager.
Click 'Properties'.
Open the 'Compatibility' tab.
Tick the Tickbox for 'Run this program in compatibility mode for'
and select 'Windows XP Service Pack 3'.
Click 'Apply'
Click OK.

Then run TopManager again. All's well.
I really don't like Windows 10 !
Now I have to write up a list of how to do this in case I screw up again !

Thanks for all your help guys...

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:57 am Reply with quote
I noticed that TM scanning didn't work for me a couple of days ago. This was because one of the muxes for Mendip had moved and this caused the scanning mechanism to timeout as it repeatedly tried to scan a mux with no channels on it (this can happen during normal scanning, so TM repeats the scan to see if it can detect channels).
Note: I also changed the information for a couple of other of the transmitters.

When trying to work out how the transmitter file is provided to the toppy, I did upload a new version to my GeeCeeBee site and this is what is allowing TM to scan. The CO file has not been updated so you will have to use TM for now.

I'm now trying to generate a new version of the transmitters file (may take a few days) and I'll see what I can do about updating the CO file after that.

Note: You shouldn't need to set TM to run in XP compatibility mode because the program includes an XP manifest file that tells the operating system how it should run. When you ran "Check for Updates", although it reported "No updates" for the main TopManager exe, it did update the transmitter file.

Geoff

?
andyfras
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3423
For the record, I supplied Poppa Mintin with a kit in February 2012.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ