Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Picture with black border

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Clive of India
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jan 2008 Posts: 31
I?ve been using my TF 5800 in conjunction with a Hitachi 50 inch TV with no problems until recently.
For some reason the picture no longer fills the television screen.

The announcement below was recently issued by television broadcasting.

(Changes are being made to the way some channels are broadcast on Freeview.
You may need to retune your TV equipment to continue watching programmes when these take place in your area.
This essential technical work is part of a UK-wide programme being carried out region by region.)

Now it may be coincidental but the problem I?m having with Topfield has come about since the announcement.
This is what I?ve done so far, disconnected the coaxial cable from the back of the Topfield and connected it directly into the TV, in other words by-passed the Topfield and all the broadcasts fill the television screen.

I then re-connected the coaxial cable to the Topfield and retuned the stations which made no difference to the picture size ie. it still did not fill the screen and has a black boarder all around.

I next tried to play a recording which was made prior to the Freeview announcment with the same result, does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix the problem or is it a case of it?s time to say bye bye to the Topfield?

Thanks to anyone who can help
gomezz
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3977 Location: Buckingham
Have you checked the Aspect Ratio settings on the Topfield and on the TV? Does this also affect TV watched directly using the TV tuner?

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4062
Try pressing the 0 key on the remote; this changes the aspect ratio.

If you want to fix it permanently, use the Z patch to disable aspect switching.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Clive of India
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I went into Aspect Ratio as suggested and clicked Full and the picture now fills the screen, so I guess the Aspect Ratio must have been changed somehow.

Geoff you mentioned using the Z patch to disable aspect switching can you talk me though how I go about doing that, Iv'e had the Topfield for years but have never done any updates or installed any Taps.

Thanks again Clive
alan_m
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3481
Clive of India wrote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I went into Aspect Ratio as suggested and clicked Full and the picture now fills the screen, so I guess the Aspect Ratio must have been changed somehow.

Whilst watching normal TV repeatedly pressing the 0 (zero) button on the remote will cycle through all the aspect ratio settings. Someone accidentally pressed the 0 button. Just press the 0 button agian until you get the aspect ratio you want and the Toppy will remember that setting until the 0 button (on it's own) is again pressed.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that you have managed to run so long without any taps or patches!
You really need to update to get bug fixes and things which allow the toppy to work now that there are 140+ channels.

You will need a windows pc, preferably pre Win 10 (W10 requires extra hoops to install the drivers).
1) You need a usb cable (e.g. one for a printer).
2) Turn toppy off, plug usb cable into back of toppy and pc.
Do **NOT** turn toppy on yet (if you do, Microsoft will install the incorrect drivers)
3) Installing the winusb drivers for the Topfield PVR (use Z4t, switch toppy on WHEN Z4t tells you to)

The easiest way to get all the patches /updates/ utilities is to install MyStuff
4) Download and run the MyStuff 6.6 (Installer)
Say yes to all options!

At this point, you should have a fully patched/updated toppy. You might find MyStuff a bit difficult at first but stick with it as it is well worth it (ask again should you need to disable it)

5) Install my TopManager program (use 2nd line in post to get program)
This will allow you to manipulate files in the toppy's \ProgramFiles etc

I suggest you just get to this point and we will handle the Z patch later (and other things you ought to do)

BTW. Should you ever need to retune the toppy, only use the ChannelOrganiser tap (provided by the MS installer) or with my TopManager/PcControl interface. Any other method is likely to result in issues unless you are extremely knowledgeable in how the toppy works.

This might all seem very complicated (and it used to be) but it is all extremely easy with the automated programs mentioned

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
Clive of India
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Hello Alan
Thanks for explaining how the screen aspect may have been changed, to be truthful my wife watches more television than me and the first I knew of the postage stamp screen disaster was when she told me something had gone wrong with the Topfield.

Geoff, I?m so glad the last sentence you wrote was ?It may sound more complicated than it is?, to me it sounds like a real barrel of laughs, you just blew me away.
Let me put you in the picture I won?t say technology is slowly leaving me behind more the opposite to slowly.
I?m afraid I?m from the era when the nearest thing you could get to using a calculator was logarithms and antilogs or if you were really clever a slide rule, calculators wasn?t even on the horizon.

In truth I tend to be on the computer more than watching TV, as a result my wife watches what she wants but does record some things we both may like to watch.
You said there are about 140 channels, in truth we only tend to watch BBC 1 and 2, ITV, and channels 4 and 5 so 5 channels in all, I guess that?s why we may have got away without doing any updates on the Topfield.

First thing Geoff my computer is Windows 10 but my son put Windows XP on it as a virtual machine because I?ve got a program with my car workshop manual on it which will not run on any newer version of Windows and he?s set it up so all I need do is click a shortcut on the desktop and manual automatically opens through the medium of Windows XP.
I?m not sure if I can update the Topfield through Windows XP or if it will have be through Windows 10.
He also installed Antares on the computer which we use to copy stuff from the Topfield onto an external hard drive if the disk space on the Topfield is getting too full, so I do have a usb cable for connecting the Toppy to the computer.

You mentioned extra hoops to install the drives, can you advise on the best way of getting the updates for the Topfield, if it is through Windows 10 where do I get the extra hoops to install the drivers required.

I?m afraid this could be a long term relationship, I do hope your girlfriend or wife doesn?t start to think is there something going on which she should know about Laughing

Thanks again for your help

Clive
ccs
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2471
If you've got Antares running then the rest should be easy. Very Happy

ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 709
Unless you trim them and manage them, those 140 channels are hosing so much more EPG data at your toppy than it was designed for, and they take up processor and memory resources jut to manage them even if no one ever watches them. Both of those can cause issues.

Geoff's TM program is a great way to make it easy to manage things on your toppy and install or update Taps - there's no faffing around with working out what needs to go where, the TM program does it all for you!

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hi Clive

You obviously have a connection to the toppy (assuming Antares works).
Anatares used to install the drivers used by other programs but not sure if it still does.

To find out, suggest you just install my TopManager program to see if the Antares installation installed the drivers.

Run TopManager
1) Connection| Settings
Create a new USB connection - call it something like Toppy (assuming you only have one)
2) Connection| Open
3) Display| MyInfo Log (if greyed out, see below)
Click in bottom pane, Ctrl A (select all), Ctrl C (Copy) - or Right click in pane and select from popup menu
4) Add a post to this thread and Ctrl V (to paste).

This will let me (and others) see how your toppy is currently configured.

Display| MyInfo greyed out
a) Tools| Install Files | MyInfo
b) Reboot toppy and wait 2 minutes for MyInfo to work
c) do 3 and 4 above (no need to exit TM before rebooting)

Geoff

?
ccs
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2471
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Anatares used to install the drivers used by other programs but not sure if it still does.
You've lost me with this comment.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
@ccs

I seem to remember Henry saying that Antares had been modified to use the windows API and therefore didn't need the drivers installed by z4t.

However, looking at his home page, it indicates that one should run z4t before installing it so I guess the op does have the drivers installed.

i.e. TopManager should work first time.

Geoff

?
Clive of India
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hello again Geoff

I?ve been waylaid and just got back to trying what you have suggested.
I'm going to start by apologizing straight away, but how do I go about downloading TopManager?
I?ve got as far as a page which says GeeCeeBee but I don?t even know if I?m in the correct place.

I do hope you don?t mind guiding me through all of this, because you also say create a new USB connection, that?s me lost again as I don?t even know how to do that.

When I?m copying stuff from the Topfield onto another external hard drive, I just plug the Topsfield into a USB port on the top of the computer tower, likewise for the external hard drive I?m copying to.

Then click the Antares shortcut on the desktop which opens a window showing whats on the external hard drive and whats on the Topfield hard drive, then I just click to which drive I want to transfer the files to, if you can make sense of what I'm saying.

Thanks again

Clive
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
When you are on the GeeCeeBee page, you can click on Downloads under TopManager on the site map (left hand of the page).
Then click on the "Download Latest version (5.0)"

You run the downloaded file to install TM (no need to do run XP emulation or whatever).
Having installed TM
1) Run it (I think the installer does this anyway)
2) Connection
3) Settings
As you haven't previously used TM, "Connect using" will be set to "Define New Connection".
Make Sure USB is selected (it should be).
If USB cable is usually permanently connected to pc, also check the "Automatically attempt connection at Startup" (this means TM startup and not the pc booting).
Press OK; it will prompt you to name the connection (use something like Toppy.
4) Connection| Open (obviously, this will only work if the USB cable is connected like when you run Antares)

Geoff

?
Clive of India
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi Geoff

Ok I?ve managed to download Top Manager and created a shortcut on the desktop.
I think I?ve done everything correctly which you have told me.
I?ve connected the USB cable to a port on the back of the tower and called it Toppy as you suggested but I haven?t connected the Topfield to it, only the cable.

I have clicked the shortcut on the desktop and got a message saying
Connecting to Toppy...
No Toppy connections detected - will try each dll in turn
Attempting to open USB connection using XP.dll ...
Attempting to open USB connection using Vista.dll ...
Attempting to open USB connection using tfWinUSB.dll ...
Failed to establish connection to Toppy using any of the USB drivers
<<< Connection failed
TopManager has not detected any programs that would prevent use e.g. Altair
<<< Check Toppy is switched on and cable is connected

I?m assuming I?ve got this message because the Topfield is not connected to the USB cable and switched on.

What?s the procedure from here Geoff, obviously I have to connect the Topfield and switch it on, then what happens or what do I need to do next.

Cheers

Clive