Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Aspect ratios sent to TV for 4:3

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 709
After many years, we replaced our CRT a few months ago, as the edges of the picture were getting quite distorting. Now we've got a fairly basic Panasonic. This has various settings for displaying 4:3 TV, but most of them have their drawbacks, and the least annoying is the one called AutoJust.

Some 4:3 programmes display with the expected black bars down the side, but some are handled by AutoJust, which progressively widens the picture the further it is away from the centreline of the screen so that the screen is filled, which is also quite distorting Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

I understand the pressing of '0' to change aspect ratios, but it has no effect on the AutoJusted ones. Any idea why some programmes should appear with bars and others are distorted by my TV?

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Darucla
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1537 Location: Norwich
On some channels, 4:3 is broadcast with black bars included (added to the picture), to make 16:9. The TV sees them 16:9.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4062
You could try the WSSkiller tap; this might give you control over what is happening.

From what I remember, it isn't that easy to set up!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't thought of that Darucla. D'oh! Rolling Eyes

Thanks Geoff - well remembered! I don't watch that many non-16:9 prorammes, so it was more out of interest. I'm not sure the tap (or the english manual) are still around. I had a quick look at the thread, but haven;t got the bandwidth to scan all 11 pages...

mstombs
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 936
I still have a tap running to sort this out for me, my sig says it was DumbWidescreenTV 2.44; but I do recall trying different ones many years ago, but what I currently have seems to work for my needs! Will look tonight.
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that. I've been having a look at the TAP, which suggests I need a patch to sort out the AFD mechanism where the Toppy firmware has issues handling a 4:3 picture: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~r2-d2/patches.html#Af I don't know anything about it, but is this related to my problem or another one?

A trip down memory lane looking at all the early issues and the flurry of Taps and patches to resolve them. And some posters there whose names I've not seen for a while!

kjhskj75
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Mar 2006 Posts: 74
Well some of us are still around.

Back in the day the BBC handled 4:3 pictures differently from other broadcasters, The Dumbwidescreentv TAP was used for the other channels, you needed the "Af" patch for the BBC due
to a bug in the Topfield API.

(Things may have changed recently, I no longer have my Toppy.)

Using these you should set the TV to a 16:9 picture.

Which channels cause problems for you?
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Indeed we are Very Happy

I did a complete capture of Stargate SG1 and Voyager off Quest and Horror, and these were the ones I noticed.

kjhskj75
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
YorkshireJumbo wrote:

I did a complete capture of Stargate SG1 and Voyager off Quest and Horror, and these were the ones I noticed.

I assume you meant Pick rather than Quest.

This morning I recorded Stargate on Pick and ST:TNG on Horror and both were transmitted with black bars in a 16:9 frame. On a 4:3 TV this would appear as a postage stamp in the middle of the screen unless the TV was set to 'Centre Cutout'. It should always appear correctly on a 16:9 TV.

BBC4 did the same last night for TOTP but set the AFD to tell 4:3 TVs to crop the sides of the picture. This is the way the BBC have always done it. You may need the "Af" patch to make it work on your TV.

ITV3 used a 4:3 frame for "Inspector Morse", as they have always done (as does the Horror Channel on other programs) You may need the DumbWideScreenTV TAP to get this to work.

My recommendation is to use the patch and the TAP and set your TV to 16:9.
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm still getting this. Here's a video I took while watching Mission Impossible on CBS Action with the same feature - just keep an eye on the right side of the information box and watch it stretching

kjhskj75
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
I'm still getting this. Here's a video I took while watching Mission Impossible on CBS Action with the same feature - just keep an eye on the right side of the information box and watch it stretching

That's weird. What is the model of your TV ?
alan_m
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3481
kjhskj75 wrote:
YorkshireJumbo wrote:

That's weird. What is the model of your TV ?

From the original post
Quote:

Some 4:3 programmes display with the expected black bars down the side, but some are handled by AutoJust, which progressively widens the picture the further it is away from the centreline of the screen so that the screen is filled, which is also quite distorting

Some TVs have a user selectable mode to stretch the picture only at the edges. A large circle displayed in the middle of the screen will be seen as a circle. The same circle displayed towards the edge of the screen will be displayed as a distorted ellipse. It is assumed that most of the action takes place in the centre of the screen and that?s where the viewers focus will be.

There is no one setting of the TV and box that will cater for all broadcasts without some distortion or loss of some of the picture. Remember some of the content on TV was recorded 40 or 50 years ago before 16:9 TV was even a twinkle in the designers eye. Even the encoding of 4:3 material for display on a 16:9 device differs between various broadcaster and TV producers The film industry aspect ratios are neither 16:9 nor 4.3 so black bars top and bottom of films are also common.